Free RPG Day 2008-Saturday June 21
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:53 pm 

Will be interesting to see what I get, last year was select 3 though only get two items (course I put the GG DCC as the top and didn't get it, but did get the other 2 items on my list)..This year I'm wondering if I'll get the 4e mod, though I've got confirmation and tracking number already (and should get my selection tomorrow or Friday) and it was listed in the order.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:42 pm 

jasonw1239 wrote:I finally got through but by the time I did the Trail of Cthulhu module was no longer listed.  :cry:

I got the Troll Lord Game Starsiege and the WOTC Talon Pass.

Never had a problem with Aaron's store and have recommended it to many people looking for OOP stuff.

Jason;

The Trail of Cthulhu module was not a uncommon, IMO.  I saw stacks of them on RPG day.  I bet there are going to be a ton on the secondary market, if not from Pelgrane themselves.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:12 pm 

Badmike wrote:The Trail of Cthulhu module was not a uncommon, IMO.  I saw stacks of them on RPG day.  I bet there are going to be a ton on the secondary market, if not from Pelgrane themselves.

I still think that the Trail of Cthulhu module was uncommon, but I agree that eBay should have plently of copies if sellers think a demand exists.  Stores should have had many leftovers at the end of the day except for the free 4E trinity and the two types of dice.  Next year we hit each store twice so we don't get screwed --- gas prices be damned!

And I did go to Noble Knight.  I don't remember what freebies I ordered.   :oops:   But I did get the Fifth Cycle rules and two Heritage paper-building thingies.  That brings the total amount that I spent for Free RPG Day 2008 to well over $100, not including gas.  8O

OK, here's the 2008 sponsor page:
KIT UPDATE:
Once all the inventory was opened and sorted, some items were short and some had extras.  This means some kits towards the end of shipping lacked the full amount of:
Exile Game Studio
Wizards of the Coast Mini
Goodman Games
Q-Workshop

To make up for this, we used extras from the following companies to meet the total piece count:
Wizards of the Coast Module
Margaret Weis Productions
Mongoose Publishing

GOLD SPONSORS (12 of each per kit)
Countess Games (Heirs to Olympia Intro Booklet)
Flying Buffalo (Tunnels & Trolls Adv. & Quickstart)
Goodman Games (OGL Dungeon Crawl Classics Gazeteer)
Mongoose Publishing (Introduction to Traveller)
Paizo Publishing (GameMastery Module: Revenge of the Kobold King)
Q-Workshop (Unique Elven Dice Giveaway)
Skirmisher Publishing (Cthulhu Live 3rd Edition Light, "Mysteries of the Mythos")
Troll Lord Games (StarSiege Quickstart & Adventure)
White Wolf Publishing (Hunter: The Vigil)
Wizards of the Coast (Three Giveaways: Unique 4th Edition Adventure, unique adventure tile and unique paint miniature)

SILVER SPONSORS (6 of each per kit)
Green Ronin Publishing (Song of Fire & Ice Quickplay)
Otherworld Creations --- NO LONGER A PART OF FREE RPG DAY KITS

BRONZE SPONSORS (3 of each per kit)
The Cabil (cut-out 3D terrain sampler)
Chessex Manufacturing (Custom "Free RPG Day" Dice)
Columbia Games (Harn Quickstart & Adventure)
Exile Game Studio (Hollow Earth Expedition Quickstart)
Fiery Dragon Productions (Monte Cook's Iron Heroes adventure)
Margaret Weis Productions (Castlemourn Setting for Cortex System)
Pelgrane Press (Trail of Cthulhu Adventure)

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:37 pm 

Was there 1000 kits sold, or what was the number exactly?

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:59 pm 

Funny thing is, with Talon Pass going for $50-$60 bucks, 4E is officially more collectible it's first month than 3E EVER was.... :D

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:32 pm 

Yeah but then nothing was limited like this.

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:50 pm 

And looks like my Noble Knight order arrived :)
Got the 4e adventure, Punjar Gaz, and Starsiege (with Paizo mod, C&C 2008 rules and T&T adventure arriving from the result of separate orders from other sources). Figure spent about $15-20 all told for all this.

ShaneG.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:43 pm 

Plaag wrote:And looks like my Noble Knight order arrived :)
Got the 4e adventure, Punjar Gaz, and Starsiege (with Paizo mod, C&C 2008 rules and T&T adventure arriving from the result of separate orders from other sources). Figure spent about $15-20 all told for all this.

But there's no sport in hunting the Free RPG booty that way.  :)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:00 pm 

Me, I just walked into Crazy Egor's and bought a few things, and then, gave him some stuff of mine, in case he wanted it. I didn't get any of the "ultra-rare eBay suck-fest" items, but I got what I wanted.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:08 pm 

Lost cause for me this year! Mostly because I was at LGGC IV and didn't have time to shoot off anywhere that might be participating. But, Joe Goodman was nice enough to stop by and brought a few copies of his 4.0ed offering!

Was really looking forward to the C&C stuff! Unfortunately, Steve didn't bring anything of the sort to the Con. Ahhh, the irony of it all!!  :)

Eulaliaaa!!!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:49 pm 

Plaag wrote:And looks like my Noble Knight order arrived :)

What kind of shipping did you use? I got my order confirmation by 12:01 (EST) yesterday but just got the shipping confirmation this morning. Supposed to ship by "DHL Ground".

Tips for next year to avoid site slowdowns:
-The free stuff was supposed to go on "sale" at 11 CST (12 EST), some items started appearing at 10:50.
-If ordering NK stock, put items in cart early (I bought a JG Caverns of Thracia and a Polyhedron #28 to hit the $25 threshold)
-Pay by PayPal, even if using credit card to avoid having to enter information on their website

Last edited by Zenopus on Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:36 am 

zhowar wrote:
What kind of shipping did you use? I got my order confirmation by 12:01 yesterday but just got the shipping confirmation this morning. Supposed to ship by "DHL Ground".

Tips for next year to avoid site slowdowns:
-The free stuff was supposed to go on "sale" at 11 CST (12 EST), some items started appearing at 10:50.
-If ordering NK stock, put items in cart early (I bought a JG Caverns of Thracia and a Polyhedron #28 to hit the $25 threshold)
-Pay by PayPal, even if using credit card to avoid having to enter information on their website

Priority Mail, but I live really damn close :)

And if you have a log in name/password for the site, then you can pay by Credit Card also with no hassles. (though you do have to enter in the CC info.)

ShaneG.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:11 am 

"DHL Ground".

Not a good time to use DHL for deliveries.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story.as ... c932635f75

Therapy-level collector

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:56 am 

chromaticknight wrote:
Not a good time to use DHL for deliveries.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story.as ... c932635f75

I am unsure how that situation directly affects DHL's deliveries.

It certainly affects several thousand workers at the airport home of ABX Air, but since 2003 that company has been a completely separate entity.
ABX was once a part of Airborne Express, which was acquired by DHL in 2003.
However; DHL kept the ground service portion of Airborne Express and created a separate company out of the Air Service portion of Airborne Express while also creating an exclusive contract with that new company for Air delivery.
Once that happened, the Air Service portion was separated into what is now ABX Air.

Now DHL has decide they want to save money, so they entered into negotiations with UPS for Air Delivery with them.

Sucks for the employees and stockholders of ABX Air, but it is huge for UPS Stock holders.
Obviously, Big Brown stock will jump through the freaking roof if that deal goes through. 8O

If DHL saves a bundle using UPS instead of ABX, then it will be huge for their stock as well.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:01 am 

Aneoth wrote:I am unsure how that situation directly affects DHL's deliveries.

You would be amazed at how many packages accidentally get dropped or go missing when 6,000 employees are about to get laid off.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:10 am 

Mars wrote:You would be amazed at how many packages accidentally get dropped or go missing when 6,000 employees are about to get laid off.

In my experience, that's different from DHL's normal service how? ;)

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:39 am 

Mars wrote:
You would be amazed at how many packages accidentally get dropped or go missing when 6,000 employees are about to get laid off.

exactly!

However; DHL kept the ground service portion of Airborne Express and created a separate company out of the Air Service portion of Airborne Express while also creating an exclusive contract with that new company for Air delivery.
Once that happened, the Air Service portion was separated into what is now ABX Air.

This has nothing to do with the original question but here goes. DHL does not control any part of Airborne Express or ABX Air. They are simply their number one (huge) customer. It is actually illegal for a foreign entity to own controlling interest in a US airline.

To go further off topic, that is why DHL airways became Astar air, and gave up 51% of the controlling interest.

Therapy-level collector

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:59 am 

Paizo's Revenge of the Kobold King is now available as a free PDF or a $5 print purchase:

http://paizo.com/store/paizoExclusives/v5748btpy83w1

PreviousNext