Free RPG Day 2008-Saturday June 21
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:40 pm 

g026r wrote:
Which makes it more amusing since there has already been a 4e module released.

As for value: I'd be tempted to say that the Septimus quick-start and the WFRP one from last year may eventually gain some value.

The former because the game got cancelled (though that may cause it to lose all value -- who knows), the latter because Black Industries has transferred the game-line and we still haven't seen Fantasy Flight's WFRP plans yet.

I think the author of Septimus has said he will someday come out with the game on his own (he has gotten back the rights, IIRC). But still an interesting curio. I had a couple and I believe I gave them away to other Acaeum members.

The only two items from last year that had "traction" with me were the Warhammer module (The Pig, the Witch and her Lover) and the Game Mastery item, Hollow's Last Hope (even though the latter was offered as a free download).  Both actually sold out of my store at $5-$8 each.  

I would also keep an eye on the Runequest item...it was such a piece of crap (two pages long) it might have been tossed by a lot of people, completists might have a hard time finding it in a few years....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:52 pm 

Badmike wrote:I think the author of Septimus has said he will someday come out with the game on his own (he has gotten back the rights, IIRC). But still an interesting curio. I had a couple and I believe I gave them away to other Acaeum members.

I don't believe he's going to be putting it out under the same system though.  Last I heard he was talking about a conversion to some other freely available system.

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:17 pm 

Damn..its now selling for more then the freaking first module for 4e.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:34 pm 

Plaag wrote:Damn..its now selling for more then the freaking first module for 4e.

ShaneG.

Yeh, the mysterious zero feedback bidder jumps in and jacks the price up....SHILL!!!!!!

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:36 pm 

Plaag wrote:Damn..its now selling for more then the freaking first module for 4e.

5 hours left, and it's at $41 + 4.50 s/h.  Craziness; so much money for a few sheets of paper.  ;)

I'm thinking "shill" because of the zero-feedback high bidder.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:17 pm 

Plaag wrote:Goodman, Troll Lords and Paizo though if they haven't mentioned already (in the case of Paizo which has) probably will have a pdf or print product for this stuff.

ShaneG.

Joe Goodman has said on the Goodman Games Forum Punjar will NOT be released again, either as a pdf or hardcopy. It will be interesting to see if they stay with this. BTW, the local chain that gave away free games had TONS of stock left over, which was boxed up at the various stores to give away at some "future in store events".  Bah.

Mike B.

I take it back....this post seems to point to a re-release someday in the future:

Hi guys,

We do not have plans to release the Punjar gazetteer as a PDF any time soon. The mission of Free RPG Day is to get customers into stores! To answer the question above, every participating retailer will receive multiple copies of every Free RPG Day product. If you visit http://www.freerpgday.com/sponsors.html you can see how many copies of each company's product will be released in each kit. But you should still call your local store to get details! It is up to the retailer how they plan to distribute the goods: one copy per customer, multiple copies per customer, at what point they'll give out any leftovers, etc.

I understand the concept is good, but unfortunately a lot of gamers don't have participating FLGS around them to get stuff.  That being said, it's not really something I'd go nuts trying to get if you don't already have one.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:52 pm 

I just sold my goofy Free RPG Day mini for $14.  I'm starting to feel like one of those old Carny barkers taking the wide eyed "rubes" for all their spare cash.

"Step right up, folks, see the 8th wonder of the world, the newest 4E publication, Treasure of Talon Pass, available ONLY on Free RPG Day...you'll notice this beauty is STILL in the original shrink, untouched by human or inhuman hands, sure to be a collector's item, a BARGAIN at $40 mere dollars...but don't forget, good things come in small packages, here I hold one SPECIALLY AVAILABLE MINI usable with said 4E module, the incredible Lurking Wraith, also sure to become a rare collectible and available for LESS THAN HALF THE COST of Talon Pass. Can you afford to NOT be the first on your block to stand in the radiance of these two fine products? Hit the Buy It Now my friends and finally be satisfied with your meager life!"

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:55 pm 

Almost worth it to spend the $1 / item it takes to get the FRPGD box of goodies just to turn around and sell them the next day for more than 4000% profit.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:06 pm 

Joe Goodman has said on the Goodman Games Forum Punjar will NOT be released again, either as a pdf or hardcopy. It will be interesting to see if they stay with this. BTW, the local chain that gave away free games had TONS of stock left over, which was boxed up at the various stores to give away at some "future in store events".  Bah.

Hmmm....the Plano LSC said that they were completely out of Punjar when I stopped in on Sunday.  I think they had a lot better turnout than some of their other stores.  They still had a few left of most of the other items though.  Of course they were in a box in the back room instead of sitting out for people to look at.  :roll:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:35 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Hmmm....the Plano LSC said that they were completely out of Punjar when I stopped in on Sunday.  I think they had a lot better turnout than some of their other stores.  They still had a few left of most of the other items though.  Of course they were in a box in the back room instead of sitting out for people to look at.  :roll:

John, JG may concur, but I thought the Plano LSC had the least amount of swag for any store except the South FW store. The Hurst, South Arlington, Mesquite, and central Dallas store had stacks of crap (even the next day, in the case of the Hurst store), and Generation X had shelves of it.  Believe me there was a lot of Punjar (sounds like an order at an Indian restaurant).....

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:11 pm 

All of the Lone Stars had plenty of Free RPG items on the day of the event.  On Sunday the Dallas Flagship had tons of leftovers.  The Mesquite store had half as many leftovers.  Beyond that I don't know. But the Punjar module is still out there . . . just stored away for whatever RPG events they dream up throughout the year.

I am thinking of asking a FLGS to order a box for just me --- "Here's $90 (or whatever) for the 2009 box, plus whatever proft you want to gouge from me."  That would save me time, gas, and effort, though it deprives me of the thrill of the chase.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:14 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:You gotta be kidding me!

** expired/removed eBay auction **

That is just the most absurd thing I have seen in quite some time.  :lol:

No it's not....until you check out the final price.... 8O

$69 my friends. Yes, you can have a DDG with Cthulhu, or the new 4E module Treasure of Talon Pass.  Giggle!

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:30 pm 

Badmike wrote:$69 my friends. Yes, you can have a DDG with Cthulhu, or the new 4E module Treasure of Talon Pass.

That price is disturbing, but what if the 4E module is limited to one thousand copies or some similarly-small number?  If this print run is small, then it should have some value.  It could be the next PotVQ or Kobold Hall or something.  OK, probably not . . .
Giggle!

Now that is disturbing.  :)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:28 pm 

Same with Punjar. WTF?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:44 pm 

goatboy wrote:Same with Punjar. WTF?

I get the feeling this is a first to market type deal.  We'll see how the prices are next week.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:06 pm 

Same guy sells TWO FREE RPG items for a total of well over $100.................

Dude certainly paid for his days worth of gas to get to all the FREE RPG stores.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dungeons-Dragons-Pr ... dZViewItem

umnnn   ..wow..     :roll:

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:19 pm 

Aneoth wrote:Same guy sells TWO FREE RPG items for a total of well over $100.................
Dude certainly paid for his days worth of gas to get to all the FREE RPG stores.

umnnn   ..wow..     :roll:

Aneoth I suspect he might run a game store...look at some of his past sales, include a lot of freebies only available to brick and mortars.  Either that or he's got a game store owner hooking him up, and splitting the profits.

Honestly I'm stil not 100% sure some of those bids aren't Shilltastic....

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:21 pm 

Mars wrote:
I get the feeling this is a first to market type deal.  We'll see how the prices are next week.

I'm with Mars.  Punjar is NOT rare...there were stacks on every table I saw Saturday.  As a matter of fact, I didn't bother but to pick up a couple precisely because there were SO MANY that I figured they weren't the least bit rare....!  

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

PreviousNext