Goodman Games DCC Future Value
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:17 am 

Does Goodman plan to rerelease their already published DCCs in 4th edition format, or will the already released 52 DCCs be history once current stock sells out?  If the latter then the value of the most recently released ones may become quite collectible in years to come since a lack of reprints will make them comparatively scarce compared to the original DCCs.  Any ideas or forecasts?   :idea:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:46 am 

My personal opinion:

Are 2E items collectible? 3E? 3.5E?
I think that over time the GG items will fall to the same low value as the vast majority of RPG products.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:53 am 

Some might retain value, depending on rarity and/or quality. I only own a couple, and have no plans on getting the others, namely because there are too many of them to get involved with now.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:59 am 

I'm guessing that at first there will not be a reprint of all of the GG modules but as stock runs out and a reprint is needed, then they will update the module for the reprint.  Most likely the later modules will be reprinted.

However, with the print runs of these already, I can't really see many of them bringing in the high values.  They all seem fairly excessible with the exception of the first print of some of the early modules.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:53 pm 

What made me think was the recent auction for 47 DCCs on eBay that went for $441.  That's almost retail price for them even though they are still readily available on Amazon with a 15% to 20% discount and free shipping.  I'm not sure why GG would continue to reprint them with 4th Edition on the way, they've already stopped publishing new ones until the summer and the licensing agreement with WotC may prevent them from reprinting anything for 3.0/3.5 Ed.  I have a feeling these could be sleeper items, particularly the later ones, that will become fairly collectible in the future... perhaps commanding two or three times their original retail price for like new condition.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:14 pm 

I'm not very confident in the future resale value of the "regular" DCCs (not counting the convention specials and stuff like that, which have already shown themselves to be highly collectible), but I do think that they will always command at least cover price (or perhaps slightly below) and be considered among the best of the 3e/3.5 products.

One exception to my pessimism above would be if the old-school TSR artists remain as popular as they are today. If so, then maybe the DCCs with Otus or Dee cover art would begin to go up in value over the next few years. Especially if those men begin to retire, stop producing any new works at all, or ... forgive me ... start passing away.

Otherwise, though, I just don't see it. There's too many of them and they were distributed using modern methods. There's not a lot of surprises in the DCC line.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:23 pm 

I think Goodman mentioned DCC will be back for 4E in a retooled look with new adventures, and this is speculation but maybe some of the choice old ones as well.  Also their published campaign world of Aerth seems to coincide nicely with the kind of things WoTC has in mind for 4E, so you can bet they will leverage that.  The Goodman forums talk about all this so go check it out.

Value?  They've got some great writers and great artists working on the line.  Buy what you like of the modules for that value or don't buy it at all.  They seem to sell well and it's no scratch off Goodman's back to issue reprints when needed even now.  So I have to agree they are likely going down not up.  The handful of fans like me who really like them have already assembled their collections including some of the early cover prints that won't be reprinted.  If you are keen NKG has 1st prints of DCC#1, DCC#2, and DCC#5 for sale now, and they've been there for awhile which kind of confirms the fact that no one else is interested.

Personally I'm glad the thing has ended at DCC#52 because they are starting to take up a lot of room and interfering with the feng shui of my place.   :wink:

Cheers!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:35 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:There's not a lot of surprises in the DCC line.

The one "surprise" that comes to mind for me is DCC #50.  It is one of the most recent adventures printed and so most likely will not go to a second printing, it was written by Monte Cook, it has some great Erol Otus art, and it features a very unique map that can damage the cover if enough pressure is applied to it.

And although their initial price is very high, the DCC box sets may someday become more valuable simply because they are box sets and we all know what happens to box sets after a lengthy period of time. The DCC #30 Tournament Edition is of mention because:  the box is huge so box wear and damage is likely.  There is a lot of stuff in it including miniatures that are sure to be used elsewhere or go missing, and it was limited to initial orders and is already sold out.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:39 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:One exception to my pessimism above would be if the old-school TSR artists remain as popular as they are today. If so, then maybe the DCCs with Otus or Dee cover art would begin to go up in value over the next few years.

I'll take up your pessmism even on this.  Otus did a lot of the Hackmaster covers which I think are great but even now they are dirt cheap.  I do think that they will still hold some basic value around cover price too but don't think there is enough hype about then (the regular ones) to really push them up in value.

Other items like Return to the ToEE command more than cover based strictly on the hype of ToEE.  I personally don't think it is a very good item.  I do kinda wonder if the Expedition to ... series will be the same.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:02 pm 

Time will tell of course, but if they do get released as 4ed then I don't think the values will rise all that much, only if they are no longer available would they.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:18 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:The one "surprise" that comes to mind for me is DCC #50.

All right, you talked me into it, damnit. I've ordered a #50, which might even arrive today if I get lucky with my Amazon saving throw.*

+++++

*(Amazon has a gigantic warehouse in Fernley, Nev., about 50 miles from me ... I often get my stuff at least a day earlier than expected).

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:42 pm 

Speaking of which, has anyone taken the bait on DCC 51, and if so, is it good?  I'm tempted...

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:19 pm 

Stiggybaby had a sale on DCCs, but looking for it again seems to have been ended.  Here is a link to their sales page should they have similiar sales: http://www.stiggybaby.com/Merchant2/mer ... ode=SPERPG

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:24 pm 

bombadil wrote:Speaking of which, has anyone taken the bait on DCC 51, and if so, is it good?  I'm tempted...

I bought a couple, one to read and one to keep in SW, but haven't had the chance to read it yet.  It's enormous!  It will be good.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:55 am 

bombadil wrote:Speaking of which, has anyone taken the bait on DCC 51, and if so, is it good?  I'm tempted...

Give in to temptation!  :)

I have the thing, here are my thoughts for recommending it:

1) If you like all things DCC you probably already have it.

2) If you have a limited number of DCCs like the con specials or the 1E conversions and you really like them, then this would be a good one off purchase in terms of having a small but focused collection of DCC premier items.

3) If you like collecting donjons and all that entails like cool maps, new monsters, treasures, stories, plots, encounters then this has it all in spades!  This is a mighty addition to any donjon collection.

This is a great donjon that you don't necessarily have to play 3E to appreciate.  It's 15 levels divided into 4 books.  I like how each level is treated almost as a separate "module" in the books.  So for example book 1 levels 1-6 is like a book of six modules.  Each level has it's own bw front cover piece, adventure summary, background story, info on "scaling" the adventure etc.  It's chock full of great ole school art pieces from Erol Otus, Jason Edwards, William McAusland and Brad McDevitt and a bunch more.  Sadly no Stefan Poag one of my favourites.   :(

Plus you get a gazeteer, a poster map, map book, character handouts, character sheets and pre-gens, and a separate book just as an index and glossary!  Some of these companion booklets are module size themselves.  Sheesh it's kind of joke really since this sells for about $100 considering that cough cough $150 notorious LE module cough we've been discussing elsewhere.  All in one huge ass full colour box.

Hope that helps your decision process.  :wink:

Cheers!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:57 am 

islestrike wrote:
Give in to temptation!  :)

I have the thing, here are my thoughts for recommending it:

1) If you like all things DCC you probably already have it.

2) If you have a limited number of DCCs like the con specials or the 1E conversions and you really like them, then this would be a good one off purchase in terms of having a small but focused collection of DCC premier items.

3) If you like collecting donjons and all that entails like cool maps, new monsters, treasures, stories, plots, encounters then this has it all in spades!  This is a mighty addition to any donjon collection.

This is a great donjon that you don't necessarily have to play 3E to appreciate.  It's 15 levels divided into 4 books.  I like how each level is treated almost as a separate "module" in the books.  So for example book 1 levels 1-6 is like a book of six modules.  Each level has it's own bw front cover piece, adventure summary, background story, info on "scaling" the adventure etc.  It's chock full of great ole school art pieces from Erol Otus, Jason Edwards, William McAusland and Brad McDevitt and a bunch more.  Sadly no Stefan Poag one of my favourites.   :(

Plus you get a gazeteer, a poster map, map book, character handouts, character sheets and pre-gens, and a separate book just as an index and glossary!  Some of these companion booklets are module size themselves.  Sheesh it's kind of joke really since this sells for about $100 considering that cough cough $150 notorious LE module cough we've been discussing elsewhere.  All in one huge ass full colour box.

Hope that helps your decision process.  :wink:

Cheers!

Did you not like it then? :D

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:59 am 

It's holding at $70 at Amazon right now ... man, I am so tempted!

http://www.amazon.com/Dungeon-Crawl-Cla ... 061&sr=8-6

islestrike wrote:Sheesh it's kind of joke really since this sells for about $100 considering that cough cough $150 notorious LE module cough we've been discussing elsewhere.

Wait, what? I don't get the reference here ...

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:08 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:It's holding at $70 at Amazon right now ... man, I am so tempted!

It is definitely worth $70 if even just for the sheer spectacle of the size of the damn thing.  I used to drive a car that weighed less than that box set back in college.  8O

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Next