FASA Doctor Who Game - question
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:43 am 

Hi,

I am hoping someone here can help me out.  I have decided to re-collect the 1980's FASA Doctor Who game and all the supplements in factory-sealed condition.  So far I think I have done fairly well avoiding obvious re-wrapped items (as in not factory shrink wrap).   To my memory -- all the supplements produced for the game had a paperboard insert (two-fold with color art from the game) nested in the center of the book and that stuck out about ¾ of an inch above the top of the item.  This display border was sunburst yellow in color.  The border had a display punch but, because it was under the shrink-wrap, they were often un-punched.  

I have recently picked up two different adventures that -- while they are shrink-wrapped and appear in pristine condition -- lack these color display inserts.  Instead they appear to simply have a piece of thin corrugated cardboard where the color insert should be.  This cardboard does not stick out above the game item.  I have no reason to suspect the seller of re-sealing the product and there doesn't seem to be any obvious signs in the wrap itself that would support that idea.

My question is whether anyone out there knows if this is simply a factory variant? Perhaps a European version?  There seems to be little out there on these products any help on these would be greatly appreciated.   Were there supplements for this game factory shrink wrapped without the full-color paperboard display inserts?

Thanks!

CP

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:01 pm 

cheesepaws wrote:Hi,

I am hoping someone here can help me out.  I have decided to re-collect the 1980's FASA Doctor Who game and all the supplements in factory-sealed condition.  So far I think I have done fairly well avoiding obvious re-wrapped items (as in not factory shrink wrap).   To my memory -- all the supplements produced for the game had a paperboard insert (two-fold with color art from the game) nested in the center of the book and that stuck out about ¾ of an inch above the top of the item.  This display border was sunburst yellow in color.  The border had a display punch but, because it was under the shrink-wrap, they were often un-punched.  

I have recently picked up two different adventures that -- while they are shrink-wrapped and appear in pristine condition -- lack these color display inserts.  Instead they appear to simply have a piece of thin corrugated cardboard where the color insert should be.  This cardboard does not stick out above the game item.  I have no reason to suspect the seller of re-sealing the product and there doesn't seem to be any obvious signs in the wrap itself that would support that idea.

My question is whether anyone out there knows if this is simply a factory variant? Perhaps a European version?  There seems to be little out there on these products any help on these would be greatly appreciated.   Were there supplements for this game factory shrink wrapped without the full-color paperboard display inserts?

Thanks!

CP

I've seen them both ways myself...

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:28 pm 

I know that FASA did tis for the Star Trek game, they did it for most of the line and most of the items in shrink have them... The Dr Who line I'm not too sure on..

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:32 pm 

I'm really not sure if they all came with the cardboard extra or not.  In my collection, I have the following in shrink with the cardboard piece:

9101 The Daleks
9102 The Master
9103 The Cybermen
9203 Countdown
9205 The Legions of Death
9207 The Warriors Code

and the following in shrink without:

9201 The Iytean Menace
9202 The Lords of Destiny

Which ones do you have with/without the cardboard piece?

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:43 am 

I have the Iytean Menace with the cardboard piece, so I'd be willing to guess all come in both versions.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:24 am 

A-ha!  

The two I have without the color paperboard display insert (but with a corrugated cardboard) are also Iytean Menace and Lords of Destiny.  

I also have a sealed Iytean Menace WITH the color paperboard display insert.  There is no difference between the two that I can see (all the numbers and placement are identical, no color variations, etc.).

I am guessing then that these two earlier modules simply were originally released in the "simple" packaging and later upgraded.  

I also have the following in shrink:

The Daleks
Warriors Code
Hartelwick Horror

I remember (in the 80's) rumors of an "up coming" Sontaran  and Gallifrey supplements -- but I've never seen them.  I don't think they were ever made -- too bad.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:32 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:I have the Iytean Menace with the cardboard piece, so I'd be willing to guess all come in both versions.

This could also be the module where they made the transition from cardboard to non-cardboard inserts.  So it might be the only one available in both formats.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:39 am 

In a quick look on Ebay for ones in shrink there are:

3 copies of HARTLEWICK HORROR with the board
1 IYTEAN MENACE with board
2 Countdown with board
1 Legions of Death with board
1 Master with board

I suspect that maybe only a couple of them were available in both formats - maybe only the one.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:18 pm 

Having a quick Look at Heroic Worlds it lists them all with card inserts (althugh it has been wrong before...) The only other item is Lists os "City of Gold" scenario.. I can't say if I have even seen one, not a close Dr Who RPG collector, I have all but The Cyberman modules (all not in shrink from memory...)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:40 pm 

City of Gold and Cybermen are the two hardest to find modules.  I have City of Gold too but not in shrink so I don't know which format it came in.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:00 pm 

I wouldn't be suprised if they were, looks like last 2 made.. Heroic also lists 3 different printings of the Boxed set (which I think I can pretty much confirm. pretty sure I've seen all 3 types) At one stage there I think Dr Who stuff got good prices (Prob those mad UK collectors, the US has been pretty much under exposed to Dr Who??) I picked mine up cheap at the time from Aaron I think $5-$6 each from memory... the ones in the ebay shops have unrealistic prices, the frog and Taod has cheaper than some of them....

On a side note, has anyone followed the "Lost Episodes" of Dr Who TV show (and others).. I generally have a look about 1-2 time a year to see what elsehas turned up..

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:40 pm 

beasterbrook wrote:I wouldn't be suprised if they were, looks like last 2 made.. Heroic also lists 3 different printings of the Boxed set (which I think I can pretty much confirm. pretty sure I've seen all 3 types) At one stage there I think Dr Who stuff got good prices (Prob those mad UK collectors, the US has been pretty much under exposed to Dr Who??) I picked mine up cheap at the time from Aaron I think $5-$6 each from memory... the ones in the ebay shops have unrealistic prices, the frog and Taod has cheaper than some of them....

On a side note, has anyone followed the "Lost Episodes" of Dr Who TV show (and others).. I generally have a look about 1-2 time a year to see what elsehas turned up..

Dr. Who seems to be coming back a bit....a box set I paid $14 for at Gencon went for $25 on Ebay...not a giant profit but some interest.  When I found a similar box set a few months later and put it up for the same price, it didn't last a week.  I think the US showing the newer episodes is increasing the popularlity a bit.   On a related note, I have a Dr. Who fan/friend who has given me a list of hard to find Dr. Who pbs, and I've gotten $20-$30 each on ebay for some of the rarer ones....which have also gone up a bit.  Anyway, the upshot is might be a good time to complete those Dr. Who RPG collections, as the popularity seems to be on a slight upswing.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:07 pm 

Badmike wrote:On a related note, I have a Dr. Who fan/friend who has given me a list of hard to find Dr. Who pbs, and I've gotten $20-$30 each on ebay for some of the rarer ones....which have also gone up a bit.

Care to send me a list of some of them?  I'm sure my local secondhand bookstore has a pile of the things in their sci-fi series section.

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:47 pm 

Badmike wrote:  Anyway, the upshot is might be a good time to complete those Dr. Who RPG collections, as the popularity seems to be on a slight upswing.

My thinking exactly.  I suspect we will see even more of the FASA Doctor Who stuff pop up on ebay at ridiculous prices once the new Who RPG is released this coming summer by Cubicle Seven.  

I had no idea City of Gold was harder to find - were fewer produced?  I have a copy - but not in shrink.  

Along similar lines, anyone know what Citadel's Dalek/Cybermen plastic miniatures from '78 are going for these days?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:31 pm 

Badmike wrote:

Dr. Who seems to be coming back a bit....a box set I paid $14 for at Gencon went for $25 on Ebay...not a giant profit but some interest.  When I found a similar box set a few months later and put it up for the same price, it didn't last a week.  I think the US showing the newer episodes is increasing the popularlity a bit.   On a related note, I have a Dr. Who fan/friend who has given me a list of hard to find Dr. Who pbs, and I've gotten $20-$30 each on ebay for some of the rarer ones....which have also gone up a bit.  Anyway, the upshot is might be a good time to complete those Dr. Who RPG collections, as the popularity seems to be on a slight upswing.

Mike B.

The boxed sets I have always found to have held their price (esp if the box is not crushed :roll:  ) which of course is annoying when you want to buy one... Yes I think the new episodes have helped a bit with the exposue to dr Who... I think i mentioned the Dr Who books the other day in chat.. I'm pretty sure some of the "Lost Episodes" are the ones that mainly attract those $$, but I'm not up to date, a lot of those target books (the small slim ones) don't attract much...

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:25 pm 

g026r wrote:Care to send me a list of some of them?  I'm sure my local secondhand bookstore has a pile of the things in their sci-fi series section.

Are the rare Dr. Who books the ones with photographs of Peter Davison?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:19 am 

Huh?

Same e-bay seller just put back up the same two DW modules I just bought from him two weeks ago:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

and

** expired/removed eBay auction **

The Dalek supplement seems like a really good buy to me.  The Iytean Menace is probably also without the color paperboard insert.

CP

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:45 pm 

cheesepaws wrote:Huh?

Same e-bay seller just put back up the same two DW modules I just bought from him two weeks ago:

Most of the modules are fairly common to still find in shrink.

Next