Dungeon Crawl Classics Questions/Opinions
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:12 am 

Blackmoor wrote in Dungeon Crawl Classics Questions/Opinions:
A follow up to Mister Yuks comments about comics, I have a comic and game store (going on 30 years now) and the margins are actually quite good; we get a 55% off of retail discount from our supplier for most titles.  The advent of the multiple covers has really increased sales, many customers now will buy the mass released book and one of there favorite covers so we are selling more books to the same people in general.  One problem is that there are so many alternate covers we just cant keep up.  We display the alternates each week (sometimes  over 30 different titles get alternate covers of one or more variants) and sell them for $5 - $50 depending on there rarity. if these don't sell in 3 weeks they all get discounted to $5 and stuff into a special bin in the store, we have 3-4000 of these alternate variant covers in the store at any given time.  Overall though sales have increased due to these variants.

Yes, thanks for correcting me on that. The comic store that I bought most of my books from operated more as a club than a typical retail store with heavy discounts on new books depending on how much a person bought AND preordered. I would guess that 55% is much better than plenty of other retail stores out there.
My point was and it sounds like you're in agreement is that those incentives and alternate covers do work. Stores like you and the companies that make the product need to make money and every little bit helps. As much doom and gloom as we hear about the comic industry, I really do appreciate hearing that you are doing well at it.

Invincible Overlord wrote in Dungeon Crawl Classics Questions/Opinions:So back to your first question: When does collecting become more important than the game that started the interest in collecting? If you're still playing the game, then it doesn't... ever...

Agree and very well said

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:24 am 

muaddib5 wrote in Dungeon Crawl Classics Questions/Opinions:
I ended up getting out of comics collecting because of the shenanigans.  Early '90's (I think) a new Batman title came out.  The #1 issue came out in like seven different variant covers.  But the killer was, the cover design was exactly the same and only the background color was changed.  That was it, I was done, lol.

It's kind of funny that I got back into comics when you were getting out and I've taken some criticism but that's where I really learned about collecting - so I do owe comics that. Before that I was just buying stuff without a purpose.

My last comment on here that's not specifically about Goodman Games, I promise :)

Previous