Dungeon Crawl Classics Questions/Opinions
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:28 pm 

Question about DCCs:

Were there 1st and 2nd printings of the following? Either printing info at the end of the OGL license information of different GMG logos (b&w cowboy vs. color triceratops)

DCC16 Curse of the Emerald Cobra
DCC18 Citadel of the Demon Prince
DCC19 The Volcano Caves
DCC20 Shadows of Freeport

Thanks!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:32 pm 

I also just got my Crawl! #1 fanzine, and it's friggin' adorable - note that I've never said that about an RPG before, and oddly, mean it in a great way.

PS - not the cover, which on my printed version is a sweet glossy-on-matte black
http://crawlfanzine.blogspot.com/

Sunrunner44 - as stated, noted sucker.

PPS - I'm only four tomes away from reading the DCC RPG; one of those being Dreadmire (thanks board) that's great freakin' fun so far.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:15 pm 

Just a question, how rare are the DCC # 3.5 The Haunted Lighthouse?  Autographed vs. non Autographed?  Were they all sold at the 2003 Gen Con?  Was the autograph just a buyer's choice, or did non-a/g copies enter the aftermarket?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts :)

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:20 am 

davidc wrote:Just a question, how rare are the DCC # 3.5 The Haunted Lighthouse?  Autographed vs. non Autographed?  Were they all sold at the 2003 Gen Con?  Was the autograph just a buyer's choice, or did non-a/g copies enter the aftermarket?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts :)

Rare (not sure of the numbers though)
Non Autographed for my copy
I seem to recall some were printed up for those who could not attend (or I'm thinking of another one of theirs)
Was buyers choice or if you were around when Dave was at the booth (sadly I missed him)

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:55 am 

I seem to remember 214 copies was bandied about as the final number of copies, and IIRC it was backed up by an explanation from GG as to why such an odd number.
From what I've seen, a non-autographed copy seems a lot harder to find than an autographed copy. When last I looked they were hitting $250+, but I've not seen one on eBay over the last six months or more. Definately the rarest of the GG line, followed thereafter by #20.5 (which appears not to have been shat on the internet yet in PDF, unlike #3.5).

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:59 am 

bamajon1974 wrote:Question about DCCs:

Were there 1st and 2nd printings of the following? Either printing info at the end of the OGL license information of different GMG logos (b&w cowboy vs. color triceratops)

DCC16 Curse of the Emerald Cobra
DCC18 Citadel of the Demon Prince
DCC19 The Volcano Caves
DCC20 Shadows of Freeport

Thanks!

FYI, straight from the horse's mouth at Goodman Games forums

http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... 2dbbf8de9f

DCC16 apparently had 2 printings, DCCs 18-20 only had one.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:11 pm 

Hello from Ben "Superfan" Waxman.  Quick question:

What do people think about value of unusual items like module designer notes, hand drawn maps, a multi-signed #35 box, and for non printed modules like 17.2, "The Lost Passage of the Drow" on faux parchment by Harley Stroh and Jon Hershberger?

By helping out with the color Dundjinni maps for a couple of conventions, I was able to befriend some very nice folks who sent me some very interesting things.  

Welcome your thoughts, and plan to post some of these and others on eBay in the days ahead for :( reasons.  Hope you guys and gals can give them a good home!

Ben

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:01 am 

benwax wrote:Hello from Ben "Superfan" Waxman.  Quick question:

What do people think about value of unusual items like module designer notes, hand drawn maps, a multi-signed #35 box, and for non printed modules like 17.2, "The Lost Passage of the Drow" on faux parchment by Harley Stroh and Jon Hershberger?

By helping out with the color Dundjinni maps for a couple of conventions, I was able to befriend some very nice folks who sent me some very interesting things.  

Welcome your thoughts, and plan to post some of these and others on eBay in the days ahead for :( reasons.  Hope you guys and gals can give them a good home!

Ben

It is hard to put a price on unique items. You may want to post them in classifieds and see what you are offered. I think you can still list 50 auction items for free on ebay per month for one week auctions but I don't know if you can do a reserve price with that. You could run a dutch auction by putting them up for .50c per item per month on ebay and start with a high asking price and reduce it.

Best thing to do is what you are doing now. Gather information first before selling. If you do end up selling by auction make sure to post on all the websites that have classifieds ahead of time to let people know.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:59 am 

Jason,
Thanks for the advice.  Images for Dcc 17.2 are on boardgamegeek image http://boardgamegeek.com/images/user/487172/benwax123

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:41 am 

(Edit 12/26)

Thanks for the strong interest and many emails.  I've been asked several times to list the pieces I'm considering moving on to new homes.  The remaining pieces are:

3. A signed 20.5, VG to NM

7. Two yellow border 12.5's, one signed and one not. Both NM

9. A multi signed #35, VG - maps as well, see below (edit: 35B missing)

11. Saga of the Witch Queen 1E. NM, signed

13. Several other unused VG/NM less collectible modules like boxed Whiterock and most of the pre #50 modules.

Plus I have the maps for the Gazetteer, 3 small tears on the edges of the players map, easily fixed.  Others fine.

I'll be posting my images on boardgamegeek in my image gallery with link below.   Apologies if some are a bit blurry. any can be retaken if need be. Email me at [email protected] for re-shots if needed.

I will put the remaining items up for auction soon on ebay this weekend.  if there is something you wish to make an offer on before i put the items up, I'm all ears.  Feel free to contact me at [email protected].  

Again, my sincere best wishes, and happy holidays :).

Ben

http://boardgamegeek.com/images/user/487172/benwax123

Last edited by benwax on Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:12 pm 

I've received several questions about DCC 17.2.  I can understand - I've never seen another either!

What I can tell you about the DCC# 17.2 is mainly what I can read from the front page - that it is a special first Ed. Module released at Gen Con Indy 2007 for character levels 6-8.  I received it as a gift from Harley Stroh and Jon Hershberger for my work on Dundjinni maps for their modules.

It is 34 pages long.  Unstapled.  No cardboard outer cover.  Most pages are on beige faux parchment.  Again, itt is a first edition module.  It is in unused new condition.  It is signed by both Harley Stroh and Jon Hershberger, the authors.

Hope this helps,

Ben

(If I haven't received an offer I can't refuse by later today, I will be putting it and the other items up on eBay shortly)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:54 am 

Hey guys, Ben invited me over to answer any questions that might come up.

Specifically, re: DCC 17.2.

I wrote a bridging adventure for the Saga of the Witch Queen collection, which Taco re-wrote for 1e. At the same time, Ben was helping us out with creating large scale, table-top maps for use at cons. As a thank you to Ben for his work, Taco printed up a home version of the 17.2. There might be a total of 3 - 5 copies out there somewhere.

The module was only officially released as part of the Saga collection. Taco's version is pre-art, pre-layout, and probably has scans of my original maps (as opposed to those rendered by our cartographer).

//H

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:10 pm 

Hey Harley,

Thanks for stopping by and providing some clarification on this pre, pre-pub. :)  You know how we 'Collectors' get when we find something new to lust over, I mean, desire, err I mean would like to add in a civilized manner to our trove of DCC goodies.  :oops:  Sure enough, when I pull out my copy of Saga of the Witch Queen, on page 33, The Lost Passage of the Drow begins.  Doh!  My DCC fu failed me. :)  

All in all, Ben's copy of the 17.2 represents a super piece of DCC history which will be a great addition to any collection.  Does it make your collection complete or not?  Only you can be the judge, and no, I am not the new owner. :)

Thanks again Harely (and Ben), and Harley if you get the chance, I hope to see you back at NTRPG in 2013.

Take care and Happy Holidays!

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:12 pm 

Smarmy, I totally missed that too, but it was announced way back in 2007 on the Goodman Games forums (I highlighted the title).

Well, it's official: Gen Con 2007 has a con special! This year we're producing Saga of the Witch Queen, and yes it uses 1E rules again! Written by Harley Stroh with 1E conversion by Jon Hershberger, Saga of the Witch Queen combines DCC #17: Legacy of the Savage Kings, DCC #17.5: War of the Witch Queen, and a new bridging adventure called Lost Passage of the Drow into one 80-page action-packed adventure... with an awesome cover illustration in Classic TSR Orange by Brad McDevitt.  

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:10 pm 

benjoshua wrote:Smarmy, I totally missed that too, but it was announced way back in 2007 on the Goodman Games forums (I highlighted the title).

Well, it's official: Gen Con 2007 has a con special! This year we're producing Saga of the Witch Queen, and yes it uses 1E rules again! Written by Harley Stroh with 1E conversion by Jon Hershberger, Saga of the Witch Queen combines DCC #17: Legacy of the Savage Kings, DCC #17.5: War of the Witch Queen, and a new bridging adventure called Lost Passage of the Drow into one 80-page action-packed adventure... with an awesome cover illustration in Classic TSR Orange by Brad McDevitt.  

My first DCC purchase was in June of 2007; I blame BadMike.  IIRC, he was talking about the collectibility of the 1st Edition DCC 12.5 on the Friday Night Chat, and having been recently infected with collection creep, I mistakenly purchased a copy of the 3.5 version the next day off Ebay.  This copy happened to be in shrink, aftermarket I learned latter , so I was doubly screwed on this eBay score. :oops:  After this burn, I went back to the well and bought a second copy of 12.5; this module was not in shrink so I could actually read it and was immediately hooked by the quality of writing and the aesthetics of the book.  (Before you ask, I didn't have the heart to deshrink the first one even after learning it was not original. :))  At that time (2007), I was not really visiting any of the gaming sites so I never saw the Goodman Games announcement and was basically relying on the generosity of others to inform me when I should pre-order or purchase this or that collectible.  While I am better about checking gaming sites more frequently, I still rely on others to give me a heads up when something new, cool, or potentially collectible comes out.  The Kickstarter thread for certain is a great way to uncover lots of new goodies, and as always the Friday Night Chat helps fan the collecting flames.

Keep 'em coming, guys.  :lol:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:24 pm 

smarmy1 wrote:
benjoshua wrote:Smarmy, I totally missed that too, but it was announced way back in 2007 on the Goodman Games forums (I highlighted the title).

My first DCC purchase was in June of 2007; I blame BadMike.  IIRC, he was talking about the collectibility of the 1st Edition DCC 12.5 on the Friday Night Chat, and having been recently infected with collection creep, I mistakenly purchased a copy of the 3.5 version the next day off Ebay.  This copy happened to be in shrink, aftermarket I learned latter , so I was doubly screwed on this eBay score. :oops:  After this burn, I went back to the well and bought a second copy of 12.5; this module was not in shrink so I could actually read it and was immediately hooked by the quality of writing and the aesthetics of the book.  (Before you ask, I didn't have the heart to deshrink the first one even after learning it was not original. :))  At that time (2007), I was not really visiting any of the gaming sites so I never saw the Goodman Games announcement and was basically relying on the generosity of others to inform me when I should pre-order or purchase this or that collectible.  While I am better about checking gaming sites more frequently, I still rely on others to give me a heads up when something new, cool, or potentially collectible comes out.  The Kickstarter thread for certain is a great way to uncover lots of new goodies, and as always the Friday Night Chat helps fan the collecting flames.

Keep 'em coming, guys.  :lol:

Sure, blame me.  DCC owes me because of the 1000's of bucks you've spent on product since then!!!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:40 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Sure, blame me.  DCC owes me because of the 1000's of bucks you've spent on product since then!!!

Mike B.

Mr Goodman should definitely buy you a steak dinner as commission for all the business you have directed his way since '07. ;)  I think I have since purchased all the classic DCC releases and boxsets as well as the new DCC RPG content.  I'm only missing a few printings, but that's OK.... (Isn't it? :))  Actually, I think I did finally purchase, the DCC 12.5 1st edition, 2nd printing from you.  Mission accomplished.  :lol:  

This post brought to you by BadMike's Friday Night Pump and Dump Collector Tips - "If I don't sell it, then it is not worth collecting."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:04 pm 

Wonder how many other cool tidbits of DCC goodness like the 17.2 are out there that we haven't seen?  Very cool that Harley could help fill in the gaps!  Wonder where the other 3-5 are?  

Glad to see it go to an Acaeum member!  
:)

Ben "Superfan" Waxman

Ps. I have some of my Dundjinni color maps for the DCC modules, some used in the tournaments.  Anyone interested in those?

PreviousNext