Dungeon Crawl Classics Questions/Opinions
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:26 am 

Keith the Thief wrote:
Yes.  But how much trouble is it?
For example, you could convert a Pathfinder module to 1E, but it'd take some effort.
Were DCC products developed with 1E play in mind, or are they geared to 3 or 3.5?

Thanks.

If youre looking for 1E DCC modules, you can get one or more of these:

http://www.goodman-games.com/dcc-modules1e.html

...with them you dont need any conversion!

ciaooo

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:35 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:As the suggested character level increases you start dealing more and more with puffed stat blocks and cartoonish abilities of 3.x. With any such module there then needs to be a greater and greater amount of conversion work to bring it back to 1e.

I'd recommend it at the $30 price level, but not $50 and certainly not $70+

Oh, well.  Being the lazy slob that I am, it's hard to see doing a lot of work to convert 3.x to 1E.

However, the material might be entertaining to read at $30.

Back to "Greyhawk", then.
So it goes.

Thanks
Keith

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:44 am 

Is there somebody so kind to confirm that there are 2 vesrions of DCC 30 (this one: http://www.goodman-games.com/5029preview.html)?

IIRC there is an "ordinary" version, which was sold in stores, and then the gencon version which was a boxed set with minis in it to run the module.

Thanks a lot and ciaooo

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:11 am 

Yes, that's correct.  The box set was limited and is thus obviously harder to find.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:15 pm 

aia wrote:Is there somebody so kind to confirm that there are 2 vesrions of DCC 30 (this one: http://www.goodman-games.com/5029preview.html)?

IIRC there is an "ordinary" version, which was sold in stores, and then the gencon version which was a boxed set with minis in it to run the module.

There is an "ordinary" book version and a boxed set version.  I know some stores had both versions so it must have been available outside of GenCon too.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:26 pm 

Could someone point me in the direction of where I could acquire the 1E/3E/3.5E DCCs?

Goodman apparently doesn't sell them on their website (for reasons posted above), and I'm trying to find a way to acquire a large lot of them. Is cobbling together fifty DCCs one by one on eBay the only way?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:42 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:Could someone point me in the direction of where I could acquire the 1E/3E/3.5E DCCs?

Goodman apparently doesn't sell them on their website (for reasons posted above), and I'm trying to find a way to acquire a large lot of them. Is cobbling together fifty DCCs one by one on eBay the only way?

Noble Knight and Troll and Toad have quite a few available on their sites.  The .pdfs can be had from Paizo or RPGnow.  Fill in the gaps with eBay.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:29 pm 

Thanks!

Btw, is there any difference between individual modules and those same modules issued in a "super pack"? I.e., printing differences, packaging differences, etc.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:28 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:Thanks!

Btw, is there any difference between individual modules and those same modules issued in a "super pack"? I.e., printing differences, packaging differences, etc.

Not that I'm aware of, if you're talking about individual modules sold as part of a pack.
If you're talking about the content of say, the individual Rat King modules vs. Saga of the Rat King, then yes, they are re-edited and formatted to iron out any conflicts, and in places have some bridging elements added to move from one module to the next. Also, be aware that there have been some differences introduced between printings as well.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:29 pm 

The super packs are either how Goodman bundled them when they were clearing them out or how Noble Knight is selling them now, or both.  Perhaps someone else recalls more definitively.

They aren't a separate printing, but some of the individual modules within each pack are surely not first printings.  That said, they're probably the fastest way to get a big chunk of the set at a somewhat reasonable price.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:51 pm 

Thanks!

TheHistorian - Is there typically a discernible difference in printings (different logo, etc) or are they basically identical, short of very close inspection?

mbassoc2003 - Were there notable content changes between the printings [i.e., typo corrections etc], or were changes largely restricted to when there was a compilation module (i.e., Saga of the Rat King vs. Idlyss, Scourge, Revenge)?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:01 pm 

There are logo differences between printings (usually) particularly in the early modules. Lasoo logo being the earliest. As to content, it varies from module to module. Some, like DCC#12.5 have at least three, if not four different printings of the 'goldenrod' yellow bordered 1E version along, and the difference between it and the 3/3.5E version is considerable (They added additional rooms to the dungeon map). With another (one of the GenCon Tourneys) they released the first issue with colour photos and the subsequent version in B&W as I recall. The first Rat King comes with two different cover arts (or was it three?) We really need one of the GG experts on forum to give the lowdown on all of these.

The big money item is DCC#3.5 The Haunted Lighthouse (unsigned). The GenCon specials then tend to line up in rarity behind it, followed by the first printings, then the Gazetteer, and finally the later stuff and the 4E modules.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:34 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:The first Rat King comes with two different cover arts (or was it three?) We really need one of the GG experts on forum to give the lowdown on all of these.

There are three prints of Idylls of the Rat King, each with different cover art.  The Lost Vault of Tsathzar Rho, #2, had three printings: the first has cover art by Rob Thomas, the second and third by Holloway.  The third print's cover text has a different colour.

Best,

Paul

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe...we are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:32 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:Thanks!

There were (as I recall) two boxed sets released that were "adventure paths" if you will, that took 4 DCC modules and combined them into one offering (basically just by marketing the individual modules together in one box).  
One of them, The Saga of the Dragon Cult, also had additional "interlude" material included in the box.  I don't think these were different printings, I believe they were really just a way to help move extra stock.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:04 am 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:Is there typically a discernible difference in printings (different logo, etc) or are they basically identical, short of very close inspection?

I thought we had a guide to it all worked out around here somewhere...

The wiki has a good chunk:  http://wiki.acaeum.com/wiki/Gallery:Dun ... l_Classics

I'm sure this accurate, but I don't know if it's complete: http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... f=20&t=776

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:55 am 

Thanks guys!

I guess a lot of this is a roundabout way of asking whether it's worth any bother to worry about the different printings. I suppose that answer will be different for different people.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:51 am 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:I guess a lot of this is a roundabout way of asking whether it's worth any bother to worry about the different printings. I suppose that answer will be different for different people.

It depends if you're asking for purposes of content or value?

I don't think there is much difference in content.  For long term value, first printings are almost always worth more, but personally, I don't think the gap will be that significant for this line.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:55 am 

Curse of the Emerald Cobra
Volcano Caves
Citadel of the Demon Prince
Shadows in Freeport

Are there two distinct printings for each of the above DCCs?

PreviousNext