Dungeon Crawl Classics Questions/Opinions
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:19 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
It was sold out before last week, as was the DCC 30 Tournament Edition.  Both of these are still available at the Plano Lone Star Comics if you are interested.  Unfortunately they are still retail price and not the 50% off.  :(

Sorry guys, must have been tracking another site...I was sure I saw it available the first time I looked at the sale.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:25 pm 

Castle Whiterock is still available though.  Of course it might cost as much to ship it as it does to purchase.  It's a heavy mother.  And to think I lugged it around the convention center in my backpack for half a day last year.  I'd like to see Al run across the Sahara with that.  8O  :lol:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:47 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Castle Whiterock is still available though.  Of course it might cost as much to ship it as it does to purchase.  It's a heavy mother.  And to think I lugged it around the convention center in my backpack for half a day last year.  I'd like to see Al run across the Sahara with that.  8O  :lol:

my backpack in the sahara, at its heaviest (ie the start of the week), was 17lb appx. by the end of the week, it was about 10-11lbs.

that castle whiterock box is nothing man, believe me!

:)

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:59 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Castle Whiterock is still available though.  Of course it might cost as much to ship it as it does to purchase.  It's a heavy mother.  And to think I lugged it around the convention center in my backpack for half a day last year.  I'd like to see Al run across the Sahara with that.  8O  :lol:

One of my favorite memories of Gencon....

We run in as soon as the doors are open....King, Al, Martin and I hurry to the Goodman Games booth to purchase the 1st edition module they have for sale. King catches a look at Castle Whiterock...it catches his fancy...and so the FIRST THING he buys at the convention is that 25 lb monstrosity...for the full price mind you!  And so because we didn't want to go IMMEDIATELY either back to our room or to the rented locker we had, King ends up hauling it around half the day.  :D

And to think, they still had PLENTY of them the last day....!

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:11 pm 

yes but total respect to him, he didnt belly-ache all weekend about the blister on his toe, like ummm who was it again?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:55 pm 

Badmike wrote:Goodman Games are cleaning out their 3.5 stock...looks like the switch to 4E is official. Every one of the DCC's is 50% off...including the massive Castle Whiterock!

http://www.goodman-games.com/store.html

Time to put the finishing touches on that collection, guys....

Mike B.

Man, I wish I hadn't seen your post, Mike - I just ordered 15 modules to fill a few gaps in my DCC collection. I'm not supposed to be buying anything for a while, but 50% off is hard to resist.

15 mods for $95... a bargain. Still a few more to get but I'll think about it for a day or two before deciding whether to spend another hundred or so.

Regards

Mike

Demand of them whither they should comme to devide the worlde with the Emperour? And as they answered, he tooke up his shirte behinde and shewed them his buttocks, sayenge unto them, drawe your Lyne throughe the middest of *this* place.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:01 am 

Imo I think the Goodman mods will be collectable.  They are a good collectable, and achievable, set.  I have toyed with the idea of collecting these for while but after seeing the 50% off I have bought one of everything that isn't sold out from the 3E stuff  :twisted:  So now I am $411.53 plus $40 shipping lighter. 8O
Something like this always happens to me after reading this forum.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:05 am 

Badmike wrote:Goodman Games are cleaning out their 3.5 stock...looks like the switch to 4E is official. Every one of the DCC's is 50% off...including the massive Castle Whiterock!

http://www.goodman-games.com/store.html

Time to put the finishing touches on that collection, guys....

Mike B.

$255.69!  Thanks Mike! :D

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:51 am 

benjoshua wrote:

Why am I not getting a commission off this?  Joe Goodman, can you hear me???? :D

I will agree with Simon...I think the DCCs are a VERY collectible niche, and wouldn't be surprised to see certain of these gain in value over the years. As it's been pointed out, a complete set is achievable and has a definite ending point....the only stickler being the hardest to find item,  3.5 Haunted Lighthouse (which should go nuts in the years ahead).  I don't know the print runs of the individual (not special edition) modules, but it couldn't have been as high as a lot of the 3/3.5 stuff out there.  Just because they appear ubiquitous on shelves now doesn't say anything for 3-5 years from now.....you will be kicking yourself in a few years if you don't complete that set now!

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:16 am 

$289 and change.
I will soon have most of the DCC's numbered below 53 including both versions of DCC 27 (Revenge of the Rat King).

Missing only a scant handful now, including 3.5 and 17.5.

Thanks to a VERY generous fellow Acaeum member I now have the formerly very illusive DCC 30 though. :!:

Oh and thanks for the thread Mike. 8)
If (When) I get caught, I shall let the wife know it is all your fault. 8O

Just remember; it is easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:39 am 

Aneoth wrote:Thanks to a VERY generous fellow Acaeum member I now have the formerly very illusive DCC 30 though. :!:

What exactly is so elusive about DCC 30?  The original edition is still available on their website so I assume you are referring to the tournament edition.  I have seen it in several game/comic book stores around the area so it should be pretty easy to pick up for awhile longer as long as people dont mind paying the price for it.

My suggestion....dont open it if it is still in the shrinkwrap.  Other than the minis, there really isnt any additional value to the set.  Same adventure packaged with a bunch of tournament handouts.  Not to mention, it probably wont ever close all the way again either because after it is taken out of the shrink, the foam protecting the miniatures expands and the top part of the box will no longer completely close over the bottom part.  :(

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:03 am 

OK.
My copy of DCC 30 is NOT the tournament Box Set.
My copy of DCC 30 is a module. Thick, but still just the module.
No minis, no box, no handouts.
So, not so illusive then.

Sorry.

BTW: Has anyone noticed that one of the DCC number indicators is incorrect on DCC 20?

The front cover shows DCC 20, but the spine lists DCC #19.

If this has been discussed here already, please forgive me.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:23 am 

Aneoth wrote:OK.
My copy of DCC 30 is NOT the tournament Box Set.
My copy of DCC 30 is a module. Thick, but still just the module.
No minis, no box, no handouts.
So, not so illusive then.

Sorry.

BTW: Has anyone noticed that one of the DCC number indicators is incorrect on DCC 20?

The front cover shows DCC 20, but the spine lists DCC #19.

If this has been discussed here already, please forgive me.

Yeah...they have had a few misprints here and there.  Another one that is messed up is #52.  The cover shows the correct title which is Chronicle of the Fiend, but the spine shows the title as Palace In The Wastes which is the title for DCC #49.  Oops.  :roll:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:46 pm 

benjoshua wrote:

Several issues have already sold out since I made my purchase.  Don't delay! :P

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:44 pm 

Badmike wrote:I will agree with Simon...I think the DCCs are a VERY collectible niche, and wouldn't be surprised to see certain of these gain in value over the years.
Mike B.

Hell yes.  When the new copies are gone...in a very short time...the entire Dungeon Crawl Classic line will begin to grow in value.  No question.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:35 pm 

Apart from the Arneson DCC (#3.5 iirc) is there another "must have DCC" for a collector? Alternately, if I was looking for sock away some DCCs while they were still available, which would you recommend?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:09 pm 

goatboy wrote:Apart from the Arneson DCC (#3.5 iirc) is there another "must have DCC" for a collector? Alternately, if I was looking for sock away some DCCs while they were still available, which would you recommend?

Hard to find Must-haves:
#0 (convention edition)
12.5 (either 1st or 2nd printing, so far there doesn't seem to be any difference in what they are worth online, because people either don't understand or don't care about the subtle difference)

Look out for:
#30 Tournament Edition---just sold out, was a little pricey
The Heroes Arise---I suspect this was short printed; also, it contains 5 DCC modules but there is nothing to distinguish these from the regular modules, and the box set comes with no extra booklet like Saga of the Dragon Cult....so unless it's in the original SW, I don't even think this one should be considered collectible!
1st print/original cover/3E editions of  #1, #2, #5---other early modules were also available in 3E and 3.5, but I suspect the three I mentioned will be more sought after due to the different cover and/or different material
#35 Gazetteer box---this sure sold out fast.....!
EnWorld Journal module "My Friend the Formorian" (Can't remember which issue offhand)
#34 Cage of Delirium: Since it came with a CD, I suspect there will be less of these in "Mint/Near Mint" shape than others, I suspect a few people played the CD or actually lost/scratched it.
#39 Castle Churro/DM Screen: Ditto for this one, some might have bought it to use the screen, so probably less in NM/Mint shape than other modules in the series.

Just my guessing here....anyone have anything else?

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:28 pm 

Damn you, Jon! 2 releases?  Looks like I need to beef up my purchasing budget this year, again. ;)

Let's hope Goodman has learned his lesson from the "60 copy print run" fiasco from 12.5.

PreviousNext