Dungeon Crawl Classics Questions/Opinions
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:28 am 

I have pdf's for snippets and info more than anything. I'd use that to decide if I wanted it normally, but for books etc, I'd rather have something to hold.

I've printed a couple of the FR boxsets out and it just doesn't feel the same. They are usable in printed form for info etc, but a nice book like #29 needs to be read properly!  :lol:

Forgive my ignorance, are NKG a UK supplier? I'll look later when I am at home for someone more local to buy from (or Amazon...)  :wink:

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:35 am 

No, NKG is in the US, but I'd trust them more than most to ship thing safely to the UK. Some US domestic eBayers just don't understand about packing things for international travel, and I'm sure there are UK sellers who are equally bad at doing the same. It's just that the $12 international shipping on the listing is a big alarm bell. Should be up at $25 given the size and weight of the book.

NKG is great if you're buying a few items. Amazon in the UK is not the best place for chasing down DCCs as most of them don't have an entry. Unless there is a UK entry in Amazon's database, no-one can sell that item through Amazon in the UK. Like CZ:UW which does not exist in the UK. You can't buy or sell it. The system is very fucked up.

I have no idea where to find a good list of UK online retailers, but there's Archeron, Infinity Games, Orc's Nest (not much back catalog), A1 Comics, to name but a few. Most have a fairly decent online catalog, but most are best dealt with over the phone. Also, anything Paizo can be got through their independant distribution channel as opposed to the Esvidium distribution channel. Sometimes with Paizo stuff it helps to dig around.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:17 am 

Great tips, thanks for that. I'll be searching around this evening with this lot.  :)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:31 pm 

Dammit, the first one to show up is from Troll&Toad!  :?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DCC-35-29-The-Adv ... 3efd570894

Shame, as its a good price (for me) and I'd have snapped that with almost any other buyer!

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:45 pm 

ashmire13 wrote:Dammit, the first one to show up is from Troll&Toad!  :?

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Shame, as its a good price (for me) and I'd have snapped that with almost any other buyer!

I'd have to check for certain, but I think I have spare copies of DCC #29 The Adventure Begins and DCC #48 The Adventure Continues that I'd be willing to part with if you're interested in buying from an individual.  

/shameless plug mode on

And, if you were interested in any of the items from the Black Blade online store, including our First Edition DCC # 7 Secret of Smuggler's Cove or any of the Swords & Wizardry titles, I would be happy to combine them with either or both of the DCC hardcovers for a single shipping.   :)

/shamless plug mode off

A year or two ago I secured an unsold copy of DCC 35 Gazetteer of the Known Realms for Jason Zavoda from my FLGS, so Jason could attest to my packing- and shipping-proficiencies.   :lol:

LMK

Jon "tacojohn" Hershberger

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:02 am 

Dug up the best old thread I could find for this...

Anyway, I noticed that today's (and today only) Loot deal is a block of 4e DCCs 53-62:  http://gamerati.com/loot/

I haven't ordered with this service yet, but it did come recommended.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:17 am 

TheHistorian wrote:Dug up the best old thread I could find for this...

Anyway, I noticed that today's (and today only) Loot deal is a block of 4e DCCs 53-62:  http://gamerati.com/loot/

Sixteen dollars shipping though.  8O   Still, a much better deal than buying them all at full price.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:55 am 

TheHistorian wrote:Dug up the best old thread I could find for this...

$43 for all 10  modules, including shipping.  That's two dollars less than the $45 that was considered a good deal for all ten about a year ago.

(To complete your collection...not to use as modules.  Oh god.)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:16 pm 

Is it really Worth saying the obvious here?

Realistic shipping costs would make it a MUCH better deal.
At $6, media mail would be closer to actual cost, though I suspect even that is more than it would actually cost to ship ten slim booklets like those.

Even though I wont likely ever play 4th Ed...
I would probably buy them for $33 and change total.
(Counting shipping).

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:35 am 

http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... =60&t=7663

An interesting essay by Joe Goodman about Appendix N and the connection between their new Dungeon Crawl Classics game line and pre-D&D art and literature.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:05 am 

I always look askance at someone who says they just recently read Vance and Leiber and now better understand D&D... What was stopping them from reading this stuff bitd? Hell, I had read all of the Fafhrd and Gray Mouser books (except Knight and Knave of Swords, of course) within a year or so of the release of DDG :). I guess it's always been about the literature for me first, though, with the RPGing a distant second.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:41 am 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote:I always look askance at someone who says they just recently read Vance and Leiber and now better understand D&D... What was stopping them from reading this stuff bitd? Hell, I had read all of the Fafhrd and Gray Mouser books (except Knight and Knave of Swords, of course) within a year or so of the release of DDG :). I guess it's always been about the literature for me first, though, with the RPGing a distant second.

What would stop you from reading Vance might be that some of his stuff is not very good....and it was not readily available back in the day.  I am always astonished when I read that a Cugel story was one of the inspirations for D&D.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:54 am 

FormCritic wrote:
What would stop you from reading Vance might be that some of his stuff is not very good....and it was not readily available back in the day.  I am always astonished when I read that a Cugel story was one of the inspirations for D&D.

There is that :), and I agree with you on the Cugel stuff. Some of his science fiction (if a valid distinction b/w SF and F can be made in Vance's work at all) is the merest boilerplate, too (I'm lookin' at you, Planet of Adventure). He had a formula, and often it fell a little flat. BUT, when his efforts did come together just right, the effect rose well above the level that most other authors in the subgenre (planetary adventure, call it) ever achieved--Emphyrio, The Languages of Pao, and even Night Lamp come to mind.

EDIT: My point initially was more that I'm astounded that Goodman hadn't gotten around to reading this stuff (and you don't know it's schlock until you read it :)) until relatively recently. It bodes well for the new DCC RPG that he's consciously basing the feel on pre-D&D fantastic lit. I might even have to check it out.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:01 am 

I purchased Vance's Amarinta Station at a library sale.  Dang good.

I searched around for the two sequels, Ecce and Old Earth and Throy.  It took me awhile before I just gave in and bought them used on Amazon.

Then I saw why only Amarinta Station ever got re-printed. Oh my lord!  Awful!  Awful!  Awful!   8O   I mean bad like a rotten fruit.

I'm talking bad work for a high school sophomore, much less for Vance.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:36 am 

I don't know how much Lovecraft he has read but that stuff is very heavy going too.  The ideas and mythos behind the books is obviously genius but the actual writing suffers from adjective and adverb overload.  Bodes well for new take on things though.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:30 am 

Lovecraft's antiquated style and clunky writing are part of the charm of his stories. That is part of the joy of imitating Lovecraft's prose.  It's so bad it's good.

With Vance, we're talking stories where nothing happens, characters that do not stay in character and dialogue that places the word "tenterhooks" in the mouths of three different speakers.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:38 pm 

*bump

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:41 pm 

DCC has a mega-dungeon called "Castle White Rock".

Is it actually worth the $70-90 prices on eBay?
Is it any good?
Can it be used with 1E rules?

In general, can the DCC modules be used with 1E or even 0E?

Thanks
Keith

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

PreviousNext