Dungeon Crawl Classics Questions/Opinions
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 32 of 37123 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 353637
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:41 am 

Badmike wrote:Interesting post from Joe Goodman on the Goodman Games site:

Lots of interesting stuff.  Is this a sign that Goodman is perhaps going to start supporting the old school gaming community again?

Mike B.

I think he wants to try other avenues, but not completely abandon his 4e crowd.

If he goes Pathfinder I'd support him again, if he goes generic with pdfs supporting various rules I may look at it but won't be as thrilled.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:44 am 

Also, is this proof that 4E sales aren't up to snuff?

My FLGS says sales are steady but not rising.  He didn't seem too excited.  If this is so it makes sense for Joe to seek out other revenue streams.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:11 pm 

Badmike wrote:Also, is this proof that 4E sales aren't up to snuff?

My FLGS says sales are steady but not rising.  He didn't seem too excited.  If this is so it makes sense for Joe to seek out other revenue streams.

Mike B.

I think one look at ebay, where brand new 4e material is being sold for less than wholesale, shows that 4e retail sales are being undermined.

Times are quickly changing but I thought that just a few months ago Goodman was saying that pdfs and internet sales were meaningless in the scheme of RPG retailing? I don't think that you can successfully come up with a generic module that is backed up by a pdf.

The way WotC forced 4e down the throats of 3rd party publishers and the appeal of glitzy glossy and professional marketing of the Official D&D brand must have been very hard to resist.

There really seem to be 3 rules systems to follow. 4e, pathfinder, or AD&D. I think it is the 4e/pathfinder split that is the big problem. AD&D is my system of choice but I don't see it enjoying anywhere near the popularity of the other two.

I would love to see the DCC line go to AD&D, but that may be a print on demand route, or a pdf route.

As for the other two systems, if it isn't possible to follow both with in print products I think a choice needs to be made. Follow 4e or follow pathfinder. 4e is going to lead to 5e or 4.5 soon enough. It has to, it is the Ryan Dancy business model that kept D&D afloat with Hasbro. Sell more rulebooks, change the system, sell more rulebooks, and to hell with publishing adventures.

There has to be something more than just business models in the RPG business. This isn't a big money industry and publishers need to follow their heart more than their pocketbook. It is still a business, but they aren't producing scotch tape, light bulbs or plastic bags, they are publishing adventures. If what they love publishing are 4e adventures, they should stick to it, but if they love a different system, if it is at all viable financially, that is the one they need to back. I haven't seen a universal system adventure series catch on ever.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:39 pm 

I'd like to add to the only DCC that I have, so just wondered what the typical price would be, as they dont seem to come up too often over here. I'm guessing just a couple of pounds each?
I'm looking for the low level ones at the moment, #28 and 29.

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:03 pm 

ashmire13 wrote:I'd like to add to the only DCC that I have, so just wondered what the typical price would be, as they dont seem to come up too often over here. I'm guessing just a couple of pounds each?
I'm looking for the low level ones at the moment, #28 and 29.

DCC modules sell for cover price or less.  They are getting harder to find, though eBay and Amazon were flush with them not too long ago.

DCC boxed sets also sell for cover price or less, with the exception of the Gazetteer of the Known Realms.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:13 pm 

ashmire13,

DCC28 is actually a hardcover book of 262 pages.  It has many short adventures for levels 1-2.  It goes for about $14 over here.  Regular go for cover ($6-12) each.  

Martin

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:43 am 

excellent, thanks guys.

I definitely want a copy of DCC 28 now then, cheers for that info!  :D

Dave

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:57 am 

I think he meant DCC #29 The Adventure Begins 268 pages.
DCC #28 Into The Wilds is softcover perfect bound 60 pages.

You might also want to look at...
DCC #48 The Adventure Continues 258 Pages (4-6 level).

And these are compilations of three or four adventured that formed a series...
Saga of the Rat King
Saga of the Dragon Cult
Saga of the Witch Queen

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:24 am 

Sorry,  DCC29 is the hardcover.  Thanks mbassoc2003 for cleaning up my pile of $%&*.

Martin

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:44 am 

Prufrock wrote:Thanks mbassoc2003 for cleaning up my pile of $%&*.

:lol: :lol:

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:05 am 

I do have one boxset which is real nice. Definitely want #29 now then   :lol:  8)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:10 am 

A lot of the DCCs are worth buying. Most can be had at or below RRP, and they're gonna go up in value slowly as collectors move their attentions to d20 and new collectors come on board who have grown up playing 3.5E.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:41 am 

** expired/removed eBay auction **

This'll be the kiddie then!  :D  

I'll wait to see if the seller gets back to me on shipping, otherwise I'll be begging another Acaeum member for a copy maybe...   :lol:

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:47 am 

ashmire:
That is a decent price for DCC 29.

Re-Posting :

The chart at the Goodman site is better actually.

BUT, Many of the DCC modules have a chart at the back showing that and more.

The chart also shows what environment that adventure is set in.
Some are set in more than one of course.
The chart shows:
If the mod includes Pre-Gen PCs.
If the Mod was a CON Mod.
Best Adventure Winner.
Urban
Desert
Arctic
Aquatic/Coastal

Here is the chart scanned from the back of DCC 51.5: The Sinister Secret of Whiterock

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:14 am 

Thanks for posting that again Gnat.  :)

My memory is sooo bad, but I'm sure I have the Dragon Cult Saga set. I've also picked up #31 (I think  :oops: ) recently and am having fun reading through them and looking to change them back to AD&D 1st ed.

Couple of minor issues that I'll sort very soon and they should be good to go for me, but I'm very keen for that #29 now, so I'll keep looking.

May even see if the seller of that one above will ship to a friend in the US and get it shipped from there!  :lol:  8)

EDIT - Yes it is #31 that I have!

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:13 am 

That's a good price, and International Shipping for $12. Wouldn't expect that to cover airmail. You should be able to find a UK sourse for DCC29. There are maybe half a dozen fairly well stocked online retailers who may have it. And there's alway Noble Knight Games.

It's not going anywhere. Prices will say lowis for a while yet.
Why not the PDF?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:28 am 

I have pdf's for snippets and info more than anything. I'd use that to decide if I wanted it normally, but for books etc, I'd rather have something to hold.

I've printed a couple of the FR boxsets out and it just doesn't feel the same. They are usable in printed form for info etc, but a nice book like #29 needs to be read properly!  :lol:

Forgive my ignorance, are NKG a UK supplier? I'll look later when I am at home for someone more local to buy from (or Amazon...)  :wink:

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:35 am 

No, NKG is in the US, but I'd trust them more than most to ship thing safely to the UK. Some US domestic eBayers just don't understand about packing things for international travel, and I'm sure there are UK sellers who are equally bad at doing the same. It's just that the $12 international shipping on the listing is a big alarm bell. Should be up at $25 given the size and weight of the book.

NKG is great if you're buying a few items. Amazon in the UK is not the best place for chasing down DCCs as most of them don't have an entry. Unless there is a UK entry in Amazon's database, no-one can sell that item through Amazon in the UK. Like CZ:UW which does not exist in the UK. You can't buy or sell it. The system is very fucked up.

I have no idea where to find a good list of UK online retailers, but there's Archeron, Infinity Games, Orc's Nest (not much back catalog), A1 Comics, to name but a few. Most have a fairly decent online catalog, but most are best dealt with over the phone. Also, anything Paizo can be got through their independant distribution channel as opposed to the Esvidium distribution channel. Sometimes with Paizo stuff it helps to dig around.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 32 of 37123 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 353637