Dungeon Crawl Classics Questions/Opinions
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:47 pm 

I had a post ready, but I closed the wrong window *d'oh*

I listened to the podcast mentioned on the first page (April 27th podcast at http://www.ogrecave.com/audio/ )

My take-aways from the podcast:

- WotC has not finalized the 4e license yet.
- (Some? All?) DCC 4e modules will have inserts done by Fat Dragon Games.
- The first nine DCC 4e modules will be 3 series of 3 modules.  The first three modules will form the first series.

I'll definitely get the DCC modules.  The DCC 4e cover art isn't bad.  It does fit in with the more photorealistic WotC art, but it's a lot less spiky.  The layout of the module covers bugs me, especially the top 1/3, but maybe the final product will more balanced when price and other information is added.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:55 pm 

It's good to know what it costs to do a cover. Thanks for the info guys.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:38 pm 

I was offered $200 to do the cover of The Temple of the Frog for Zeitgeist Games in 2006.

But we've established that ZG doesn't pay its folks. So the going price was $0.00. I hope Erol got at least $500 for his Goodman covers. He seemed in a pretty good mood last Gen Con, so I can only assume it is worth his while.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:45 pm 

FormCritic wrote:...and three modules in a row by the same author intended for first level characters...(?)...they are not classic.

I could be mistaken, but I believe that 2 of the modules are by Harley Stroh, the same author that wrote 2 of Goodman's AD&D modules. So, by my interpretation, odds are in favor of the content being in line with oldschool design sensibilities, even if the covers are not.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:58 pm 

goatboy wrote:I hope Erol got at least $500 for his Goodman covers. He seemed in a pretty good mood last Gen Con, so I can only assume it is worth his while.

I hope so too. I'd love to meet the man. I guess I should got to Gen Con.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:00 pm 

goatboy wrote:I could be mistaken, but I believe that 2 of the modules are by Harley Stroh, the same author that wrote 2 of Goodman's AD&D modules. So, by my interpretation, odds are in favor of the content being in line with oldschool design sensibilities, even if the covers are not.

He's a nice guy too. He also wrote for Zeitgeist Games.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:22 am 

Goodman Games site now has a new look.

And my site is linked by them in the Judges Guild section .. woo hoo! :)

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:41 pm 

Goodman Games are cleaning out their 3.5 stock...looks like the switch to 4E is official. Every one of the DCC's is 50% off...including the massive Castle Whiterock!

http://www.goodman-games.com/store.html

Time to put the finishing touches on that collection, guys....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:42 pm 

I hear you have to order at least 5 or no sale. That is unfortunate. I was hoping to get a particular one, but it is sold out, and I can't bring myself to buy things I simply don't want.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:23 pm 

Badmike wrote:Every one of the DCC's is 50% off...including the massive Castle Whiterock!

*d'oh*

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:10 pm 

Badmike wrote:Goodman Games are cleaning out their 3.5 stock...looks like the switch to 4E is official. Every one of the DCC's is 50% off...including the massive Castle Whiterock!

http://www.goodman-games.com/store.html

Mike B.

Man your hard on me Mike, just blew $150.00 :D

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:24 am 

Definitely a sweet deal!!!! 50% off plus free shipping (in the US).  :D  :D  :D

Thanks again, Mike.

Collection complete except for the ever elusive DCC 3.5, The Haunted Lighthouse. Does anyone want to part with their copy? ... Anyone?  ... Anyone?

Sigh...  :cry:

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:34 am 

smarmy1 wrote:Definitely a sweet deal!!!! 50% off plus free shipping (in the US).  :D  :D  :D

Thanks again, Mike.

Collection complete except for the ever elusive DCC 3.5, The Haunted Lighthouse. Does anyone want to part with their copy? ... Anyone?  ... Anyone?

Sigh...  :cry:

I've got the pdf..and that's as close as I'll ever come.

I noticed the Tournament version of Vault of the Dragon Kings is sold out (along with the Gazeteer of the Known Realms, which was available just yesterday).  Like anything that comes with minis, I'm going to predict in  afew years this could be collectible....as a matter of fact, with the switch to 4E and the divesture of all things 3E, I think Goodman Games has set the DCC series up to be one of the few bona-fide collectible lines of the 3E years. They won't be making them anymore, and it's not like they ever had print runs the size of WOTC stuff anyway.  Especially the limited items (3.5, 17.5, 12.5, 20.5) should go for big bucks in the future.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:56 am 

En World #4 with DCC adventure 4.5 'My friend the Formian' for sale for those who want to collect them all.

http://cgi.ebay.com/En-World-Players-Jo ... dZViewItem

When I was watching out for that one a while ago it came up fairly infrequently, though I haven't been watching of late.

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:43 am 

AdderMcOne wrote:En World #4 with DCC adventure 4.5 'My friend the Formian' for sale for those who want to collect them all.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

When I was watching out for that one a while ago it came up fairly infrequently, though I haven't been watching of late.

Yes these ENWorlds seem to get gobbled up everytime Aaron at NK gets them in too.  He had all 4 in stock just recently and now he is out again.

Also don't forget Knights of the Dinner table #117 and #126 which contain Deep Ruin and Blackstone's Maze respectively.   :)

Cheers!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:51 am 

Badmike wrote:... They won't be making them anymore, and it's not like they ever had print runs the size of WOTC stuff anyway.  Especially the limited items (3.5, 17.5, 12.5, 20.5) should go for big bucks in the future.

Mike B.

Other limited items might be the original 3.0E versions of DCC#1 and DCC#2, just because the line was new and unproven then.  Were they a small print run like the 1E DCC#12.5 to test the waters?  They were reprinted later due to demand, but with different covers and updated to 3.5E.  You don't see them often, and I would think as the very first modules in the DCC line that no DCC collection would be complete without them.

Cheers!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:04 am 

Badmike wrote:Goodman Games are cleaning out their 3.5 stock...looks like the switch to 4E is official. Every one of the DCC's is 50% off...including the massive Castle Whiterock!

Mike B.

Thanks for the tip Kindmike  :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:41 pm 

I agree about the 1st print of DCC#1....I have one and I think it may have legs in collection circles...!  :D   I'd also hazard that perhaps the tail end of the series (48-5, 52) or any popular dungeon not reprinted might one day enter collectible status.

FYI, the following non-limited edition DCC's are already sold out (with no more in sight, I'd imagine):

#1, 3, 16, 22, 31, and the Gazetteer (#35).  I don't know how limited the quantities were before the sale, but I do know the Gazetteer has sold out since the sale began.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

PreviousNext