Dungeon Crawl Classics Questions/Opinions
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 16 of 37123 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 353637
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:12 pm 

tacojohn4547 wrote:  ...However, as has been suggested in numerous messageboards, the actual demand for such releases from buying customers numbers in the low hundreds.  A case in point is the recently-released Saga of the Rat King, the print run for which was been reported here at the Acaeum as being 300 copies.  And copies are still available.

Where the rubber meets the road, so to speak, from the research that I've done to this point is whether the number of actual units sold will be sufficient to cover not only the complete cost of the first module, but will also provide some funding for the next release.   In other words, will the first module pay for itself and provide (to one degree or another) for a self-sustaining and self-funding enterprise?.  

One thing you should remember to factor into your analysis is that of those 300 (or whatever title you choose to look at), how many of those were multiple copies bought by obsessive collectors or speculative dealers  hoarding them away for the future?  What you really want to know for your enterprise is can you count on 300 individuals to make successive purchases over time?  A sale is a sale but once the sheen of collectability or rarity wears off are they going to continue buying 2 or more copies of each title?

Just anecdotally I see it takes a long time for a 1E title to sellout when there is no perceived collectability or rarity.  Look at last year's Saga of the Witch Queen.  If the run was 300 we're in trouble because it has been over a year.  Maybe it was more like 500 so that is why it is still around.  Either way if there were a healthy audience of 1E gamers you would have thought it would have been greedily snatched up and sold out by now.  Another publisher with lots of ancedotal evidence is PPP.  The Cairn of the Skeleton King was available for the greater part of 2 years, and that's a title that received a lot of hype and good press when it came out, along with individuals buying multiple copies.  It only finally sold out (my opinion) when Bottled City came out and buyers of that became interested in going back for the previous two titles.

I think you have the right idea though.  There is probably anywhere between 300-500 people you can sell to.  How can you corall them all at once into buying your title and thus start a self-sustaining line of titles?  Again ancedotally I see gamers as a group generally like a regular release schedule.  Look at Paizo Pathfinder and Goodman's DCC line as examples.  Would these even be selling in the same number if they were ad hoc here and there and not coming out consistently or on time?  It seems gamers of a certain rules system are more likely to converge on your product when a) they can see you already put out a few and/or b) there is a high likelihood and certainty that you will continue to put out more in the future.  So more critical is that the first 3-4 planned titles actually make it to print, and they make it out on time.  Hope to see this come about.

Cheers!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:47 pm 

From the Goodman site:

Goodman Games is partnering with game stores worldwide to offer a special deal to fans. As we move through the last of our 3.5 backstock, we have made it available to retailers at a special discount so they can pass the savings on to you!

Between now and December 31, 2008 in participating stores, you can save 50% on our 3.5 DCC modules. At the same time, you can get a free PDF e-book when you purchase one of our new 4E adventure modules!

Participation is subject to the discretion of individual stores, so please check with your  local retailer to confirm they're taking part. Look for the poster at right in your local store!

The following retailers have confirmed they're taking part:

Black Diamond Games, 1950 Market Street, Suite E, Concord, CA, 925-681-0600

Castle Perilous Games, 207 West Main, Carbondale, IL, 800-297-2160

Compleat Strategist, 11 E. 33rd St., New York, NY, 212-685-3880

Game Kastle, 1350 Coleman Ave., Santa Clara, CA, 408-243-GAME

Gnome Games, 2160 Ridge Road, Green Bay, WI, 920-499-4263

Noble Knight Games, 2242 Kennedy Rd, Janesville, WI

Lost Harbor Games & Hobbies, 61 Southwick Road, Westfield, MA, 413-564-0070

Titan Games & Music, 637 Capital Ave SW, Battle Creek, MI, 269-963-3773

Walt's Cards, 7620 German Hill Road, Baltimore MD, 410-288-7044
[/b]

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:21 pm 

smarmy1 wrote:DCC #30: Vault of the Dragon Kings Tournament Edition (Box Set)

http://www.rpgshop.com/default/dcc-30-vault-of-the-dragon-kings-tournament-edition-1.html

Website says sold out :(

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:22 am 

Quick questions:  are the colour illustrations only present in the first printing of #13 or did it extend to the second printing?  

If they are present in more than one printing are there any differences between the two (e.g. the page numbers mention in thread above)?  

Last, if there are multiple colour illustrated printings are they all "glossy" as mentioned in the thread above?

Best,

Paul

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe...we are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:23 am 

PaulKM wrote:Quick questions:  are the colour illustrations only present in the first printing of #13 or did it extend to the second printing?  

If they are present in more than one printing are there any differences between the two (e.g. the page numbers mention in thread above)?  

Last, if there are multiple colour illustrated printings are they all "glossy" as mentioned in the thread above?

Best,

Paul

I believe that according to the Goodman site the color printings are all glossy and only 1st print. There is a thread on the Goodman Games forums that talks a bit about printings.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:25 am 

I was wondering what a fair price for a #30 Vault of the Dragon Kings, Tourney Ed. with big slit in the shrink-wrap--on the bottom--would be worth?

The SW is tight, and the box is perfect, but I"m wondering how much this damage to the SW reduces its value?

Thanks.

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe...we are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:09 am 

PaulKM wrote:I was wondering what a fair price for a #30 Vault of the Dragon Kings, Tourney Ed. with big slit in the shrink-wrap--on the bottom--would be worth?

The SW is tight, and the box is perfect, but I"m wondering how much this damage to the SW reduces its value?

Thanks.

There's no telling really, but if I like my stuff shrink-wrapped, then having a big slit in it probably means I don't want it.  I am guessing that if a personal is particular enough to want it shrink-wrapped then they want the shrink in good shape.  I realize I'm not helping much, but I'd say that if the shrink is damaged, it's almost like it isn't in shrink.  I'm no expert on this, and it's just an educated(?) guess.  It's still a good set and still in good shape, so it's still worth a lot especially since they seem to be sold out everywhere.

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:29 pm 

In general, having a slit or tear in the SW does not decrease the value significantly, unless the slit or tear is big enough that the item could have been removed.  Then the SW has lost its value.  The condition of the item is a biggest factor, if the slit or tear allowed the item to be damaged.

So condition is paramount, SW is an enhancement that ensures that the item has never been touched/opened.  SW does not guarantee condition.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:12 am 

Ben, Dbartman,

Thank you both for your advice.  This particular copy as I described above is pristine, but not being a SW junkie I was unsure of its value.  I want the item in SW so I'm a bit torn myself ;)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:53 am 

Here's a Goodman Games story for ya.  I ordered about five DCC modules recently including DCC #52.  Everything in the order except #52 arrived promptly and in good shape.  I e-mailed Keith(at Goodman Games) about the missing module and he Media Mailed #52 shortly thereafter on August 30th.  Three weeks later, it still hadn't arrived.  I e-mailed Keith and he said to let him know if it still hadn't arrived after a week.  Sure enough, no DCC #52 a week later, so I e-mailed him back and said no module.  He Priority Mailed me another which I received about five days later.  Woo woo!  Then, about ten days after that, I received the Media Mail copy, with a signficant bend on one end of the package.  Indeed, it was postmarked August 30th.  I opened the package and the DCC #52 inside was also bent reducing it to VG or maybe fine condition.  :x   Anyway, I e-mailed Keith and he was cool with the whole thing.

The bottom line is that I was pleased with the Goodman Games service.  In particular, Keith was quick to answer my every e-mail politely and professionally.

I also must note that my DCC collection is now complete as far as I'm concerned.  I don't have 3.5 nor 20.5, and I don't have #30 the Tournament Edition.  But since those three are all about $100.00 or more each, I'm just not willing to shell out that much cash for those.  I was quite pleased the Goodman Games sale allowed me to complete my collection with mint copies at bargain prices.

Finally, this is post #500! :D   Woot!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:44 am 

Goodman Games has added to its list of stuff going for half off.  Is any of this stuff good?  Here's a few of the items and their sale prices.

Complete Guide to Werewolves $8.49  
Complete Guide to Fey $9.49  
Complete Guide to Dragonkin $8.49  
Complete Guide to Treants $6.50  
Complete Guide to Beholders $11.00

http://www.goodman-games.com/store.html

I apologize if this was mentioned elsewhere.

8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:04 pm 

benjoshua wrote:Goodman Games has added to its list of stuff going for half off.  Is any of this stuff good?  Here's a few of the items and their sale prices.

I apologize if this was mentioned elsewhere.8)

From a general point of view from other publishers guides like this tend to be [acronym="a steaming pile of poop"]not very good[/acronym].  A rehash of old rules from other publishers etc.  These are more than likely the same.  Then again the DCC rock so these may too.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:09 pm 

simonmwh wrote:From a general point of view from other publishers guides like this tend to be [acronym="a steaming pile of poop"]not very good[/acronym].  A rehash of old rules from other publishers etc.  These are more than likely the same.  Then again the DCC rock so these may too.

Just picked their version of Dark Tower, it looks pretty bad, but I'll have to see how it compares to the original.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:13 pm 

DCC completists take note of this auction:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

They sold out of these very quickly in the Goodman Games online store when it was released.  Five separate modules in a box....nothing more.  Have only seen a couple of them on Ebay since the release though so they probably didnt print up a whole lot of those boxes.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:28 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Yeah...they have had a few misprints here and there.  Another one that is messed up is #52.  The cover shows the correct title which is Chronicle of the Fiend, but the spine shows the title as Palace In The Wastes which is the title for DCC #49.  Oops.  :roll:

My copy of #52 has the correct title on the spine.  So, there are at least two printings.  It would be interesting to know if the spine title is the only difference. :?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:17 am 

benjoshua wrote:Goodman Games has added to its list of stuff going for half off.  Is any of this stuff good?  Here's a few of the items and their sale prices.

I apologize if this was mentioned elsewhere.

8)

A while ago (probably a year ago now) they had a lot of titles like this selling for $2-3 a pop. I expect that a lot of 3rd pp will be having those firesales again in the future (x-mas coming up...). I agree with other posters that these are not the best books though. Unless you're actively using these creatures in a 3.5 campaign, there's really no point in getting them. They show up all the time in the clearance sections of places like Half Price Books.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:07 am 

JasonZavoda wrote:
Just picked their version of Dark Tower, it looks pretty bad, but I'll have to see how it compares to the original.

They did this one justice, though Thieves of Badabaskor was the better of the 3 released in terms of improvement.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:14 am 

By and large Citadel of Fire and Dark Tower suffered more from the lack of any editing skills on the part of Greg and Kara than anything else.

Citadel of Fire proved to be a last minute rush job in order to meet the publishing deadline set by Goodman Games because the person that Eostros hired to do the proof reading and editing never did the work they were supposed to.  What was done to make up for lost time was rushed and incomplete at best and when combined with some of the playtest results it wound up changing the look and feel that I had been going for in parts of the adventure.

In a way I am glad that the current round of negotiations for new Judges Guild modules is stalled while things are sorted out as I would not want to see the next group of modules rushed into production in a similar manner ... even if I wind up not being involved with the project in the future.

Last edited by WereSteve on Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
 YIM  
PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 16 of 37123 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 353637