Dungeon Crawl Classics Questions/Opinions
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:05 pm 

The order I placed on August 30th arrived today.  It looks like about a week passed before it was shipped.

I got everything I ordered, but I was disappointed to find that the box of the Castle Whiterock I got was dished on both the top and bottom.   :?  Everything else was in good shape, though.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:43 am 

Nice Hantlers wrote:The order I placed on August 30th arrived today.  It looks like about a week passed before it was shipped.

I got everything I ordered, but I was disappointed to find that the box of the Castle Whiterock I got was dished on both the top and bottom.   :?  Everything else was in good shape, though.

Yes thats what happened to my boxed set.. from another seller though..

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:03 am 

My most recent order was missing all the multiples of particular items I ordered - received 1 copy if I had ordered 2.

Sent an email and the missing items are on the way.

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:02 am 

When you guys say "dished" I take it you mean the box front and back do not lay perfectly flat, but rather dip inwards, perhaps as a result of having something placed on top or pressure applied?

If that's what we are talking about just a caution that many White Rock boxes are like this new.  When I bought my copy from a store I chose the least dished of three that were available.  My box is slightly dished on both sides, although there are no creases or anything.  I've seen many more and I've never seen a perfect flat box yet.

I recall reading on Dragons Foot that dishing can occur "naturally" in the manufacturing process.  There is a difference in tension across the box when the cover paper is glued and applied to the surface of the cardboard.  The glue wets the cardboard causing it to dip where it is not reinforced by the box sides and corners, and it then dries that way.  So you can't necessarily pin this problem in the shipping.

Cheers!

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:02 am 

islestrike wrote:When you guys say "dished" I take it you mean the box front and back do not lay perfectly flat, but rather dip inwards, perhaps as a result of having something placed on top or pressure applied?

If that's what we are talking about just a caution that many White Rock boxes are like this new.  When I bought my copy from a store I chose the least dished of three that were available.  My box is slightly dished on both sides, although there are no creases or anything.  I've seen many more and I've never seen a perfect flat box yet.

I recall reading on Dragons Foot that dishing can occur "naturally" in the manufacturing process.  There is a difference in tension across the box when the cover paper is glued and applied to the surface of the cardboard.  The glue wets the cardboard causing it to dip where it is not reinforced by the box sides and corners, and it then dries that way.  So you can't necessarily pin this problem in the shipping.

Cheers!

The bottom of the box I agree, I haven't seen one that wasn't somewhat- to-very concave, but the top of the box is usually flat. It could be that the bottom of the DCC#51 box was badly designed to mesh with the top of the box and is pushing the sides in. Or it could be the packaging process when the components of the set are put inside and shrinkwrapped, or the shipping/storing process at the manufacturer or warehouse, is causing this damage.

But the top of the box being dished in or concave has more to do with storage and shipping. So far I have had three orders from Goodman.

None have protected against moisture, and because they have used UPS this is a necessity. UPS drivers leave packages outside of houses regardless of the weather. UPS is very good about refunding for lost/stolen and damaged, but they are notorious about losing and damaging packages, especially by leaving them outside where anyone can pick them up and leaving them outside in the rain.

All of my Goodman orders have come shipped in a box with no protection except some casually placed packing peanuts. My first two orders came in boxes just a little too big allowing the contents to slosh around and get bent. This last order came in a box so tight that when UPS dinged the box corner it also dinged ALL of the items inside.

I would never ship an item so carelessly, and as an example, I just received an order from Noble Knight protected in an envelope and swathed in layer after layer of packing paper.

Definitely sub-standard packaging.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:44 am 

Hey Jason,

Did you receive the copy of DCC # 35 that I sent? Did it arrive in good condition?

I saw your posts here on the Acaeum, so I was prompted to check to be sure that you received your DCC world boxed set from me.

Hope all is well on your end.

Jon

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:59 am 

tacojohn4547 wrote:Hey Jason,

Did you receive the copy of DCC # 35 that I sent? Did it arrive in good condition?

I saw your posts here on the Acaeum, so I was prompted to check to be sure that you received your DCC world boxed set from me.

Hope all is well on your end.

Jon

Hey Jon,

It arrived safely. Great packaging job. Check out the Private Sales & Sellers thread, which is where we post our comments about sales through the acaeum normally.

I owe you.

Thanks
Jason

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:00 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:
Hey Jon,

It arrived safely. Great packaging job. Check out the Private Sales & Sellers thread, which is where we post our comments about sales through the acaeum normally.

I owe you.

Thanks
Jason

Speaking of DCC #35, what's a good price for one in shrink?  I think I may have paid too much, but it arrived safe and sound, and I'm happy so no biggie, but curiousity has the better of me.

Here's what I won(with shipping the total was $78.00):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=016

They were selling on Amazon for $150.00+  but I haven't checked recently.  One sold on eBay recently for $91.00.  I'm guessing I did O.K.

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:45 pm 

benjoshua wrote:

Speaking of DCC #35, what's a good price for one in shrink?  I think I may have paid too much, but it arrived safe and sound, and I'm happy so no biggie, but curiousity has the better of me.

Here's what I won(with shipping the total was $78.00):

** expired/removed eBay auction **

They were selling on Amazon for $150.00+  but I haven't checked recently.  One sold on eBay recently for $91.00.  I'm guessing I did O.K.

You did great. Noble Knight sold their last one for $95 + shipping. Two have sold with buy it nows of $120 + $10 shipping on ebay in the last two weeks. And those are the only copies I have seen on the net except for those $150+ copies on Amazon.

What was the print run I wonder?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:50 pm 

Oooo!  It's always nice to know you got a deal! :D   Thanks!  I was guessing I wasn't too far off.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:39 am 

Very good win there! :)

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:40 am 

Got my first wave of DCCs today. I did get a response from their dude who you e-mail about shipping, and my package was already en route and arrived safely. I'll be placing my next order soon!

@ benjoshua: Retail on #35 is $69.99, so you basically paid cover price + sales tax... nice job!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:19 am 

And don't forget he sniped me with 3 seconds left to go:)  And I haven't seen one since!  Good pick-up, sigh.

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe...we are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:05 am 

PaulKM wrote:And don't forget he sniped me with 3 seconds left to go:)  And I haven't seen one since!  Good pick-up, sigh.

There was one for $120 + $10 shipping on ebay. This is the 2nd or 3rd from this seller.

This is a big mark-up especially since these were half-price in the Goodman sale (or did they start the sale with DCC35 sold out?).

Just not sure if they are going to go for much less at this point. This 4e ban on reproducing material and the production run of this set (Did they just have one printing?) has push-started the DCC line into collectable status. What is crazy is that some of the prices for these on ebay are higher than just buying them direct from Goodman.

But this should be a big warning sign to anyone who hasn't picked up DCC51. Do it now at half price before they are gone.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:26 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:But this should be a big warning sign to anyone who hasn't picked up DCC51. Do it now at half price before they are gone.

I wonder if this will really go beyond the $99.99 price tag. Neither World's Largest Dungeon nor World's Largest City have done so (although the latter is still available in stores) or probably ever will. They don't seem to be very popular (not to the extent that the DCC series is) so aren't as collectible.

It's the DCC that I'm most on the fence about. I shouldn't be hesitant, as there is no doubt that the $49.99 price is a safe bet.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:57 pm 

Eryops wrote:I wonder if this will really go beyond the $99.99 price tag. Neither World's Largest Dungeon nor World's Largest City have done so (although the latter is still available in stores) or probably ever will. They don't seem to be very popular (not to the extent that the DCC series is) so aren't as collectible.

It's the DCC that I'm most on the fence about. I shouldn't be hesitant, as there is no doubt that the $49.99 price is a safe bet.

A good indicator is the price of DCC#35 the Gazetteer. You get two small size adventures and two gazetteer books and the maps. I'm not sure how many people are using the DCC line in the Goodman game world, but the Gazetteer has jumped to over a $100 and is difficult to find.

DCC#51 is a much larger set. 4 monstermodule size adventures are included. I think DCC#51 is going to be something akin to Rapan Athak reloaded rather than the worlds largest (and worst by some accounts) Dungeon.

But at $50 it is really an excellent price.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:27 am 

PaulKM wrote:And don't forget he sniped me with 3 seconds left to go:)  And I haven't seen one since!  Good pick-up, sigh.

:oops:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:39 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:
A good indicator is the price of DCC#35 the Gazetteer. You get two small size adventures and two gazetteer books and the maps. I'm not sure how many people are using the DCC line in the Goodman game world, but the Gazetteer has jumped to over a $100 and is difficult to find.

DCC#51 is a much larger set. 4 monstermodule size adventures are included. I think DCC#51 is going to be something akin to Rapan Athak reloaded rather than the worlds largest (and worst by some accounts) Dungeon.

But at $50 it is really an excellent price.

IMO Jason is right. Quality will win out; which is why Rappan Athuk has gone up, and World's Largest Bore hasn't.  The entire DCC line has a pretty good rep and I would get these while they are still cheap.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

PreviousNext