Dungeon Crawl Classics Questions/Opinions
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:31 am 

Will they have to reduce prices further or just pulp their remaining stock once the 4e switchover date hits?

Both, I bet. Either they sell it all, or what is left is pulped.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:34 am 

serleran wrote:
Both, I bet. Either they sell it all, or what is left is pulped.

I hope there is a deeper discount but 50% is already wholesale/below wholesale which is probably in the loss column for some of their more expensive items like Castle Whiterock (which couldn't have had a large print run and that means more expense in producing, usually). At some point they may make more getting some kind of tax break by destroying their stock than by selling it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:56 am 

JasonZavoda wrote:Seems like WOTC has really boned Goodman Games with this 4e business. From what I have read and argued about on their site they are stuck with not only changing the content to 4e but have to give up the 1e style of their covers. I can't imagine the loss in revenue they are taking by liquadating their old line at wholesale (or is it less than wholesale prices).

Will they have to reduce prices further or just pulp their remaining stock once the 4e switchover date hits? Their only hope seems to be that 4e will be a tremendous success and they will be able to salvage all the work they've done by converting the old material into 4e, but all that design and artwork, all the hours put into redesign, that has got to hurt, and having to dump their physical inventory is an insane requirement. Is WOTC trying to drive the name 3rd party companies out of business?

Anyway it seems that there is no hope for a return to 1e style and flavor with the DCC line. An earlie thread is that this is a try for 2e style, but the new DCC looks just like any other modern covers to me.

We saw the "new" 4E Goodman stuff at Gencon, Jason.

Blech.

Talking of the look only, the content may be brilliant, but really it was this old school look that got me collecting DCC items in the first place.  From the style of the covers (emulating the 1E stuff), to the use of artists like Dee, Otus and Roslof, to the dungeonst themselves, it was really a guilty nostalgic pleasure to buy these.

Really too bad for Goodman; they had eked out a nice crossover market from the use of the old school style, which they will totally lose upon switchover.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:03 am 

Badmike wrote:
We saw the "new" 4E Goodman stuff at Gencon, Jason.

Blech.

Talking of the look only, the content may be brilliant, but really it was this old school look that got me collecting DCC items in the first place.  From the style of the covers (emulating the 1E stuff), to the use of artists like Dee, Otus and Roslof, to the dungeonst themselves, it was really a guilty nostalgic pleasure to buy these.

Really too bad for Goodman; they had eked out a nice crossover market from the use of the old school style, which they will totally lose upon switchover.

Mike B.

I brought that up at the Goodman site, and they are incredibly dismissive and pretty insulting about anyone who won't buy the new DCCs because of the style change. Of course I realize they've made their choice and are stuck with it. They can't go back I'm guessing and don't want to hear that they are going to lose customers, so it is put on a happy face about the whole 4e thing.

But todays RPGs are tiny in comparision of the 1e AD&D crowd back then. They used to sell AD&D in JCPenny's, Toys R Us, KB Toy and Hobby, even supermarkets stocked Dunegon and Dragons. I think the old time gamers are the best target market, the new school are reaching for a keyboard or a game controller.

And if 4e splits the market with Paizo and others sticking with the earlier edition, this conversion of their DCC line  and liquadation of their 3e stock is going to be a nightmare.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:20 am 

For anybody interested in the heated debate:

http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... =20&t=5023

http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... =20&t=4999

Another thing I must clear up, the "art" is not in question here. It's the "design" or "layout" of the covers. I guess our argument is that it is not "Classic" in any way.

I ask you all this, if Goodman had adopted the 1983-1989 TSR cover design with the orange banner overhead, etc. to distinguish these 4E versions would everybody been singing praises?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:13 am 

JasonZavoda wrote:Anyway it seems that there is no hope for a return to 1e style and flavor with the DCC line. An earlie thread is that this is a try for 2e style, but the new DCC looks just like any other modern covers to me.

Yes I'm not sure what the thinking is exactly with the new DCC look.  The line had somewhat of a 1E feel to it with the old cover layout, the interior white/blue maps, the quirky mix of illustrators on the inside, and of course those great exterior art peices of which Otus did a few.  I understand them keeping the DCC  moniker as they move to 4E for the positive brand recognition they've built, but unless you want to argue that the  adventures themselves are old school there is no longer anything "Classic" about them.

If you are lamenting the loss of this classic look and feel you might want to checkout these babies:

http://www.xrpshop.citymax.com/page/page/3906568.htm

The Prison of Meneptah is a really good one!

Not only do they have the retro look of the DCC line, BUT they are actually straight 1E adventures designed with that system in mind!  That is the big hidden liablility of the DCC line  - even if they are good adventure ideas they are not 1E adventures.  When you buy a DCC product for the nice retro look or thinking you might want to convert it for 1E play, the next module Goodman puts out is another 3.5E adventure.  You never really advance a resurgence for 1E material, instead you advance more 3.5E and now 4E material.  In that sense the move to the new look for DCC might be a good thing for 1E gamers if they stop buying and newer 1E publishers like XRP can move in and fil the niche.

Cheers!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:59 pm 

benjoshua wrote:
Speaking of which, I discovered DCC51 doesn't fit in a typical magazine/module sized box(at least not with the same orientation as the rest of my DCC collection).  So, I was thinking about purchasing a Life Magazine storage box for all my box sets.  This seller offers these at this price.

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/cart/detai ... t_id=xlm60

Anyone have any experience with this seller or these kinds of boxes?  I'm getting the right storage box, right?  Anyone have a better storage solution?  I like using archival safe products.  Any advice appreciated. :)

Alright, it's been a while and no one commented on this.  I went on an extensive internet search and couldn't find anyone else that was selling a white magazine storage box slightly wider than 9 inches other than the site I mentioned.  And since I only need one box instead of two, you would think I could find one cheaper somewhere.  I like using these archive quality boxes for my stuff. Also, the price for these seems steep even though they say "free shipping," especially when they charge $4.00 for orders less than $25.00. :x

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:29 am 

Out of curiosity, does anyone remember the timeline from ordering to arrival of the DCC clearance stuff? My PayPal order went through on the 2nd and I haven't heard a peep since.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:11 am 

Eryops wrote:Out of curiosity, does anyone remember the timeline from ordering to arrival of the DCC clearance stuff? My PayPal order went through on the 2nd and I haven't heard a peep since.

I've ordered three separate bundles from Goodman in the last month or two, grabbing the DCC mods. I'm in Australia so obviously transit time was about 10 days or so, but on each occasion the package was dispatched within a couple of days of the order being placed.

Send Joe an email and just ask the question; he'll let you know if the order has gone out.

Demand of them whither they should comme to devide the worlde with the Emperour? And as they answered, he tooke up his shirte behinde and shewed them his buttocks, sayenge unto them, drawe your Lyne throughe the middest of *this* place.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:37 am 

Eryops wrote:Out of curiosity, does anyone remember the timeline from ordering to arrival of the DCC clearance stuff? My PayPal order went through on the 2nd and I haven't heard a peep since.

My first two orders arrived fairly quickly. My last order was paid for on the 1st and hasn't shown up yet. I emailed, but no reply. They ship UPS so the orders should have automatic tracking numbers. I just wish they'd send an email with the tracking info.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:43 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:My last order was paid for on the 1st and hasn't shown up yet. I emailed, but no reply.

I placed an order on August 30th with the same result.  When I came here, I was actually thinking about posting the same question as Eryops.

I just wish they'd send an email with the tracking info.

Yeah, I'm a little surprised their software doesn't generate automatic notification emails.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:19 pm 

Okay, no reply to my inquiry and no package. I paid by paypal so I'm not worried about my order, but I don't want the money back, I just want what I ordered from Goodman. There should be a tracking number with the UPS shipping so I'm a little irritated that they just don't provide it with the order confirmation.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:38 pm 

Hello,  

Placed my order back in August... asked & received answer to 'where is it' in first week of Sept... order arrived fine & well-packed on Friday.

The response said the delay was Gen-Con related.

I'm 100% satisfied (but then, I have my order  :)  )

I trust/hope yours will be along soon,

David

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:47 pm 

davidc wrote:Hello,  

Placed my order back in August... asked & received answer to 'where is it' in first week of Sept... order arrived fine & well-packed on Friday.

The response said the delay was Gen-Con related.

I'm 100% satisfied (but then, I have my order  :)  )

I trust/hope yours will be along soon,

David

All my orders were post Gencon. First 2 arrived quickly, no problem. This one has been awhile and no reply to my "Where is it" which is what is most frustrating. I'll be glad to see these arrive and I expect them, but a thumbs down on Goodman's communication skills.

NOTE: As an update, I just received an email that they had a delay (two week delay) at the warehouse and now my package has shipped).

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:37 am 

JasonZavoda wrote:
All my orders were post Gencon. First 2 arrived quickly, no problem. This one has been awhile and no reply to my "Where is it" which is what is most frustrating. I'll be glad to see these arrive and I expect them, but a thumbs down on Goodman's communication skills.

NOTE: As an update, I just received an email that they had a delay (two week delay) at the warehouse and now my package has shipped).

Ah ha!  I also am awaiting a package that should have arrived a week or two ago.  Now I'll be patient for another week.  Thanks for the heads up! :)

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:56 pm 

benjoshua wrote:
Ah ha!  I also am awaiting a package that should have arrived a week or two ago.  Now I'll be patient for another week.  Thanks for the heads up! :)

You may want to email them for a tracking number, especially if you don't get your package in a day or two. Mine is supposed to be delivered today, but I noticed that it didn't ship till after I emailed them about it.

I was never worried about the payment as I paid through paypal and UPS has in the past never given a problem about refunding for a lost shipment, but this order has the last few DCCs I need (including a couple of castle whiterocks I'm putting away). Now I just need that elusive 3.5 and the DCC#30 boxed set.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:08 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:
You may want to email them for a tracking number, especially if you don't get your package in a day or two. Mine is supposed to be delivered today, but I noticed that it didn't ship till after I emailed them about it.

I was never worried about the payment as I paid through paypal and UPS has in the past never given a problem about refunding for a lost shipment, but this order has the last few DCCs I need (including a couple of castle whiterocks I'm putting away). Now I just need that elusive 3.5 and the DCC#30 boxed set.

Thanks for the advice.  Will do.  I'm sure you know bombadil has a 3.5 for sale....or did.  Good luck!

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:59 pm 

benjoshua wrote:
Thanks for the advice.  Will do.  I'm sure you know bombadil has a 3.5 for sale....or did.  Good luck!

I did, but already spent my budget on a 12.5, 17.5 & 20.5 also not sure what to offer.

You may find your package from Goodman on its way to you already.

PreviousNext