Dungeon Crawl Classics Questions/Opinions
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:54 pm 

Cool. The flip book and the Rat King just became "more popular" on Noble Knight than the Forgotten Realms CS or the 4E DM Screen.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:10 pm 

benjoshua wrote:Dungeon Crawl Gazetteer #35 only a little over $10.00 with three hours to go.  Shipping to US is $25.00. :)

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Unfortunately, the seller took the SW off :(

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe...we are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:30 pm 

I'd imagine GG published enough copies to deal with the anticipated demand, and KNG bought hundreds. No worries there. And I doubt there will be any such rarity value or demand for these, as with the last Free Games Day module, plenty of stock (1000s) and not that many fanatical collectors to drive up cost. Expect to see an initial blip on eBay, lucky for whoever posts them first, but a quick drop off to normal run of the mill prices. Seems to me that the only real rarity worth the money is an unsigned copy Arneson's #3.5 (as the majority sold at GenCon were signed by the good man), with maybe #20.5 and #17.5 holding their own fetching more than double their cover price. The tipping point seems to have been the #12.5 golden rod (it's a shame they didn't continue with that motif) which is a very flaky investment, and I imaging KNG learnt their lesson with that one when they placed their stock up at cover price less $1 and I took their entire inventory. Lol. I for one didn't go for the 36 copies. I hope I'm proved wrong on this, but I suspect the market will be saturated with then for years to come.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:19 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I'd imagine GG published enough copies to deal with the anticipated demand, and KNG bought hundreds. No worries there. And I doubt there will be any such rarity value or demand for these, as with the last Free Games Day module, plenty of stock (1000s) and not that many fanatical collectors to drive up cost. Expect to see an initial blip on eBay, lucky for whoever posts them first, but a quick drop off to normal run of the mill prices. Seems to me that the only real rarity worth the money is an unsigned copy Arneson's #3.5 (as the majority sold at GenCon were signed by the good man), with maybe #20.5 and #17.5 holding their own fetching more than double their cover price. The tipping point seems to have been the #12.5 golden rod (it's a shame they didn't continue with that motif) which is a very flaky investment, and I imaging KNG learnt their lesson with that one when they placed their stock up at cover price less $1 and I took their entire inventory. Lol. I for one didn't go for the 36 copies. I hope I'm proved wrong on this, but I suspect the market will be saturated with then for years to come.

It all comes down to print run size.  The reason last year's special release isn't valuable is that the print run was so large, they can still be easily had.  However, one factor to consider, Goodman has to divest itself of all DCC product, AND never reprint them, within a certain time period.  I think collectibility for these is huge in the future, say 2-3 years.  The box set (#35) is already garnering interest, not to mention the already highly priced special editions.  As they years go by the print runs will sort themselves out, with those at the end of the cycle (#45-52) perhaps being the harder ones to find.  I really think the DCC series will be very desirable to the collector because of the look, the numbering, and the entire cachet of the product.  I'm buying up as much DCC stuff as I can get my hands on at discounted prices, I may sit on them for five years but I guarantee it will be worth it, IMO.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:41 pm 

another few DCC have sold out.
So far: #'s, 0, 1, 3, 12.5, 16, 17.5, 18, 20, 20.5, 30 tournament, 31, 35, & 52 have sold out.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:39 pm 

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Bunch of DCCs ending in a few hours. This one is already MORE than it would cost to buy it new from Goodman. Most of them are pushing the Goodman sales price already.

Thought I'd add that my Goodman order arrived this afternoon. If you haven't picked up at least one DCC51  Castle Whiterock you should do it soon.

This thing is a monster. It reminds me of the old SPI detergent box games. You could easily use it as a blunt instrument, it weighs a ton.

I'm just sorry that it isn't 1e, but that can be fixed. Inside are four books each the size or bigger than the old TSR monster modules, a seperate index, a huge map book, another filled with player handout illustrations, a gazetteer, I could have used this in the olden days.

I also picked up DCC29 & 48, the adventure compilations. I didn't know they were hardcover. They are pretty nice and I like the idea that they cover set levels. Fill in the blanks between other adventures.

If 3e or 3.5 hadn't sickened me I would have been all over these DCC adventures when they first were produced. I still don't care for either system, but the wealth of adventure material is amazing.

As a collectable these things shout to be picked up and carefully preserved for future generations and too make your friends jealous.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:03 pm 

Badmike wrote:
It all comes down to print run size.  The reason last year's special release isn't valuable is that the print run was so large, they can still be easily had.  However, one factor to consider, Goodman has to divest itself of all DCC product, AND never reprint them, within a certain time period.  I think collectibility for these is huge in the future, say 2-3 years.  The box set (#35) is already garnering interest, not to mention the already highly priced special editions.  As they years go by the print runs will sort themselves out, with those at the end of the cycle (#45-52) perhaps being the harder ones to find.  I really think the DCC series will be very desirable to the collector because of the look, the numbering, and the entire cachet of the product.  I'm buying up as much DCC stuff as I can get my hands on at discounted prices, I may sit on them for five years but I guarantee it will be worth it, IMO.

Mike B.

For this that didn't catch the info in the other thread:

Print run numbers for the two Goodman GenCon 2008 modules was evidently 300 each, 100 at GC, 200 to Noble Knight Games.

viewtopic.php?p=119249&highlight=#119249

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:10 pm 

With GG's switch to the AWFUL looking 4E stuff and them dumping all of the "classic" D20/3.5 DCC titles... what's next for them? Is it possible we might see these "classics" reprinted for another system like C&C? That seems to be the next popular, commercially available system us Old-schoolers play.

I'm thinking about getting most or all of these v3.5 DCC modules in their blowout sale but I am torn as I will NEVER play any edition but 1st or OD&D... So I'll probably only pick up a few and them give up (god there are lot of these things!)

I would love to see WotC wise up and allow GG to print more 1st edition modules.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:57 pm 

TheMilford wrote:With GG's switch to the AWFUL looking 4E stuff and them dumping all of the "classic" D20/3.5 DCC titles... what's next for them? Is it possible we might see these "classics" reprinted for another system like C&C? That seems to be the next popular, commercially available system us Old-schoolers play.

I'm thinking about getting most or all of these v3.5 DCC modules in their blowout sale but I am torn as I will NEVER play any edition but 1st or OD&D... So I'll probably only pick up a few and them give up (god there are lot of these things!)

I would love to see WotC wise up and allow GG to print more 1st edition modules.

What I love about the DCC series is that a complete set is actually ATTAINABLE...and that's including the rares...for much less than it would take to aquire, say, a Dragon mag #1-5  (not to mention a woodie or Tamoachan or Tsojancth or Ghost Tower).  They look great, particularly the Otus covers.  The adventures are reliable if not spectacular, with only a few rising about average, but the quality is at least adequate.  Very easily converted to "old school" stats for AD&D, as most don't contain a lot of the usual 3/3.5 fluff.  

I saw all the Goodman 4E stuff at Gencon, and it was very samey and nothing about it made me want to pick it up (as the old school appearing DCC's did when I first saw them).  

BTW a lot of these have already made it to C&C conversions....too bad they can't just do them all!

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:58 pm 

dbartman wrote:
For this that didn't catch the info in the other thread:

Print run numbers for the two Goodman GenCon 2008 modules was evidently 300 each, 100 at GC, 200 to Noble Knight Games.

viewtopic.php?p=119249&highlight=#119249

That's a pretty nice, small print run there.  I'd be surprised if these didn't become collectible as soon as NKG sells out of their copies, I'd put them at least on the same tier as the 12.5 first edition copies which can sell for $50 now.

Mike B.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:14 am 

Badmike wrote:
That's a pretty nice, small print run there.  I'd be surprised if these didn't become collectible as soon as NKG sells out of their copies, I'd put them at least on the same tier as the 12.5 first edition copies which can sell for $50 now.

Mike B.

Mike B.

Those are shockingly small print runs. Especially for the rat king since it has two versions. In the past 500 copies was a certain level that brought down the cost, but in todays printing world I have no idea what the costs are anymore or even if there is a price break in print runs under a few thousand. I know a good deal of printing was being done in china so the new printing costs may have to do with shipping the material as much as actually printing it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:17 am 

Badmike wrote:BTW a lot of these have already made it to C&C conversions....too bad they can't just do them all!

Mike B.

I just saw these... Too bad they have the same boring graphic design format as the C&C stuff  :roll:

I'm still gonna pick up most of the DCC stuff ( I already have Blood Jack's Gold) staring with the Castle Whiterock while it's on sale.

Also if the C&C game is really that good and oldschool maybe I'll pick up that collectors (digest sized) box.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:35 am 

BTW a lot of these have already made it to C&C conversions....too bad they can't just do them all!

Joe, he of Goodman Games, would.. if they had people willing to do the conversions. If I had the DCCs, I might be tempted, but I'm too busy with other TLG stuff to have time for it. However, that said, Joe also made a statement on his boards (don't have a link as I don't visit the site, but I have it on good word from Peter Bradley, the Troll Lord Artist, that it is so) to the effect of a call for more DCCs, both brand new ones (for that line) as well as for the C&C line... so things can't be that bad for them, if he's looking to continue the product. :)

Just thought I'd mention that.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:42 am 

TheMilford wrote:
I just saw these... Too bad they have the same boring graphic design format as the C&C stuff  :roll:

I'm still gonna pick up most of the DCC stuff ( I already have Blood Jack's Gold) staring with the Castle Whiterock while it's on sale.

Also if the C&C game is really that good and oldschool maybe I'll pick up that collectors (digest sized) box.

Castle Whiterock Definitely. it is hard to say what will sell out next. I was surprised that DCC#52 sold out already. As a collectable Castle Whiterock seems to be the most prime. It is massive. It couldn't have had a very big print run. I can't imagine what the profit margin was on this monster to start with but at 50% off it must be a loss. I picked up paizo's shackled city recently at a great price on ebay and this just puts it to shame (Shackled City's retail was $59.99).

I know there is some advice in one of these threads as to what would be the most collectable, besides the sold out material. Probably most of the special items available at NK, but those are full retail. From the Goodman site at 50% the two hardcover compilations stand out for me. DCC#34 has that CD which promises to be a missing component (or damaged) when it starts being sold as a used copy. Most of the higher dollar DCCs are impressive and at half price it is a great time to snag those. DCC#30 (the non-boxed set version) is a very sleek and impressive looking adventure. The DCC with the judges shield might be good to collect shrinkwrapped, another item that may go missing or damaged in used copies.

But they all look good as a series and as a fun series to hunt down and collect (partly for the sake of the hunt and just owning a cool series to look through and show off).

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:44 am 

serleran wrote:
Joe, he of Goodman Games, would.. if they had people willing to do the conversions. If I had the DCCs, I might be tempted, but I'm too busy with other TLG stuff to have time for it. However, that said, Joe also made a statement on his boards (don't have a link as I don't visit the site, but I have it on good word from Peter Bradley, the Troll Lord Artist, that it is so) to the effect of a call for more DCCs, both brand new ones (for that line) as well as for the C&C line... so things can't be that bad for them, if he's looking to continue the product. :)

Just thought I'd mention that.

I just wish that whatever edition they cover they would stick to the Classic style and artwork.

The new ones look like Dungeon Crawl Modern.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:50 am 

O.K. Two Goodman Games Dungeon Crawl Classics updates here.

First, I placed two orders for Dungeon Crawl Classics.  The first order had a damaged module (#45: Malice of the Medusa) so I inquired and they said I could return it and get another.  O.K. :?   So that's their problem policy.  Fair enough.

Second, with my second order, I had ordered #52: Chronicle of the Fiend but it wasn't in my package.  It wasn't even listed on the invoice.  Hmmm...  I thought I ordered it.  I checked my Paypal invoice and I had ordered it.  I also noticed no Paypal refunds from Goodman Games.  I inquired.  This is the response I received:

Hi Chris!

We unexpectedly ran out of stock on DCC 52 and it went unnoticed for your order. Our most sincere apologies and I'll be shipping out your copy (the last one!) tomorrow.

We're also doing a short run reprint on this particular title if you know
anyone who still wants to get it...we'll have more stock in 3-4 weeks.

But, again, your copy will ship tomorrow and we apologize for the
inconvenience!

Best,

Keith
Goodman Games Shipping

So, for those of you still wanting #52, they are reprinting it.  It makes me wonder how many more of these titles they are reprinting. :?:   And why don't they reprint #35(even though I already own my shrink copy :))?  Heck, why don't they reprint 3.5? :o

Anyway, I thought several of you would be interested in those tidbits of information. 8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:18 am 

benjoshua wrote:O.K. Two Goodman Games Dungeon Crawl Classics updates here.

First, I placed two orders for Dungeon Crawl Classics.  The first order had a damaged module (#45: Malice of the Medusa) so I inquired and they said I could return it and get another.  O.K. :?   So that's their problem policy.  Fair enough.

Second, with my second order, I had ordered #52: Chronicle of the Fiend but it wasn't in my package.  It wasn't even listed on the invoice.  Hmmm...  I thought I ordered it.  I checked my Paypal invoice and I had ordered it.  I also noticed no Paypal refunds from Goodman Games.  I inquired.  This is the response I received:

So, for those of you still wanting #52, they are reprinting it.  It makes me wonder how many more of these titles they are reprinting. :?:   And why don't they reprint #35(even though I already own my shrink copy :))?  Heck, why don't they reprint 3.5? :o

Anyway, I thought several of you would be interested in those tidbits of information. 8)

I'm sorry to hear that they want you to return the damaged copy. Between the time, gas and shipping is it even worth returning? I'd think they'd send you a replacement. (I just was screwed over by an ebay seller like that).

I'm glad to hear about possible reprints, but I'd think #52 might be a special case. The reprints may have been under way since before the 4e announcement that they couldn't sell any of their old material, otherwise it is hard to imagine a reprint that will immediately be sold for a 50% discount. I also can't imagine them reprinting DCC#35, but not just because it is on discount. With rising prices I'm very curious to know how expensive a monster box module would cost them to produce.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:43 am 

JasonZavoda wrote:I'm sorry to hear that they want you to return the damaged copy. Between the time, gas and shipping is it even worth returning? I'd think they'd send you a replacement. (I just was screwed over by an ebay seller like that).

Yeah, especially when I just bought over $350.00 worth of other stuff.  Anyway, life goes on.

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

PreviousNext