Dungeon Crawl Classics Questions/Opinions
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:08 am 

Badmike wrote:
Ultra pro bags make a "RPG" sized bag that works perfectly on hardbacks, over sized items, and even some thinner boxed sets.  

www.ultrapro.com

Mike B.

The RPG bags are perfect!  Ummmmm....Anybody want to sell me twenty?  I don't need 100. :?

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:56 am 

benjoshua wrote:
The RPG bags are perfect!  Ummmmm....Anybody want to sell me twenty?  I don't need 100. :?

PM me Ben......

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:24 pm 

The company, which makes the magazine bags that I have often used, is called: Berco Products, Inc.

I plan to obtain some more soon; as I am running VERY low.
They have larger sized Collector Safe bags sized to fit the sort of items that we would want to protect.

http://www.collectorsafe.com/

I order the THICK magazine bags and the Magazine Board Backing at the same time.
Each sack of bags is listed in a 100 count sack and they have a Minimum order of $20.
The backing Boards are $5.75 per 100, while the magazine bags are $9.80 per 100, so I order 2-100 count of each item.

The size of their THICK magazine bags is: 8-7/8" x 11" with a 2" flap

Now most companies that sell the magazine bags have large bags sized at:
8-3/4" x 10-1/2" bags with a 1-1/2" flap....

Such as this place (mentioned above by Mike): Ultra Pro Comic Series.

http://www.cardsnetwork.com/ultrapro-magazine-size-bags-1012-pack-p-450.html

They will still fit most magazines, but the thick magazines, or the often found paperback books many of us tend to collect simply won't fit in them without extra effort and possible damage to the corners or spine of the item you are trying to protect.
And as we all know from experience; some modules will get dinged up at the corners when you try to push them into smaller bags.
For most items, the cheapest way is with ultra pro.

But for collectable items, I would play it safer with the larger bags.
I have some of both types of the bags listed above, and I normally use the really large bags for larger or more expensive items and the smaller (Though still large) bags for other less expensive items.
I do not mind if the bags have some wiggle room with the items inserted, as they still protect the item from shelf wear (For the most part) and from outside problems too, such as Water, or coffee, or coca cola spills…. Etc..

Another site I recently found but have never used is:
http://www.actionplasticsales.com/speciatly.htm

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:32 pm 

I have ordered in the past from Bags Unlimited after a mention from exTSR some time back.

Nice variety of items for collectors and for shipping, but the magazine bags weight means hefty postage to Canada.  :(

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:41 pm 

Jason,

Despite the great tips Mars gave me, as a fellow Canuck, trying to avoid scary shipping prices for bags and backing boards, do you use the ultrapro series that Mike mentioned?

I was going to order from BCE Mylar or Aneoth's (thanks for the tip), but my wallet actually whimpered at me.

So, can anyone tell me:  Is it worth the extra cash of shipping to get either BCE's Mylar, the Collector's safe, or the Bags Unlimited protective magazine bags, or should try and get my local hobby shop to order the Ultrapro (they won't order the others!)?

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe...we are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:38 am 

AdderMcOne wrote:Hi Aneoth,
Did a quick check on mine.
The first print has the glossy pages throughout.
The second print has the ususal 'paper' type pages as in the other modules.
The following pages have coloured art in the first print:
1; 4; 5(table); 8 (both); 9 (art & table); 12; 13; 16; 19; 23; 26; 27; 30; 50; 55; 58; 62; 63; 92; 93; Advertisement on last page.
Unfortunately Player's Handouts are B&W.
The pics definitely look great in colour.

Thanks for the information.
So....
Did Goodman Games produce other products (especially the DCC's) that featured the glossy pages, or is this the only one?

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:41 am 

PaulKM wrote:Jason,

Despite the great tips Mars gave me, as a fellow Canuck, trying to avoid scary shipping prices for bags and backing boards, do you use the ultrapro series that Mike mentioned?

I was going to order from BCE Mylar or Aneoth's (thanks for the tip), but my wallet actually whimpered at me.

So, can anyone tell me:  Is it worth the extra cash of shipping to get either BCE's Mylar, the Collector's safe, or the Bags Unlimited protective magazine bags, or should try and get my local hobby shop to order the Ultrapro (they won't order the others!)?

Based on my knowledge of your specific situation and your current collecting interests.
IMO: If you have a local shop then that is likely your best option, since you most probably will not need several hundred bags and boards.
At least not for a long while anyway.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:58 am 

Aneoth wrote:
Thanks for the information.
So....
Did Goodman Games produce other products (especially the DCC's) that featured the glossy pages, or is this the only one?

To the best of my knowledge, this is the only one w/ glossy.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:40 pm 

I have been looking at the shrink wrap on Castle Whiterock #51.  Does it stay where it is or go in the bin?   I am never going to have time to play, let alone read the entire thing, but im curious as to the contents.  Is Castle Whiterock any good?   :?:

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:18 am 

simonmwh wrote:I have been looking at the shrink wrap on Castle Whiterock #51.  Does it stay where it is or go in the bin?   I am never going to have time to play, let alone read the entire thing, but im curious as to the contents.  Is Castle Whiterock any good?   :?:

After my copy of Castle Whiterock arrived, I started thinking along those same lines; open now, later, perhaps never?
Descisions, descisions.....
I do plan to open it and read the contents at least, but knowing how some items in large box sets get to be very pricey later on, does give me some pause.

If I had enough money to buy two sets, then the whole question would be moot.
Open on eand keep the wrap untouched on the other.
But.....
I will likely break it open soon though, since the scenarios, gazetteer of the Kingdom of Morrain, and the other maps and books inside cannot be found elswhere.
Eventually, I plan run the scenarios inside, and the gazeteer might be useful for other adventures too.

It is not the same for two other box sets Goodman Games has sold to me before.
I have not opened either of those yet, and I do not plan to either.

Saga of the Dragon Cult (Still available)
DCC: The Heroes Arise  (Sold out)
To name two such examples wherein the modules comprising the box set can be had individually even still.

Although I have not opened either box set below here is why I do not plan to open either one (At least not soon):

As far as I can tell,  the only thing other than the common individual modules that Goodman Games added for the box Set of Saga....
Is the 32 page tie in book, showing how to tie the adventures together into one larger campaign.

And; As far as I can tell, there is nothing new added to the modules inside the Heroes box Set.
Simply four Modules in one box set, each of which can still be purchased individually from Goodman.

I was also debating wether to open #34: Cage of Delirium and #39: DM Screen and Adventure, both of which came SWed.
Last week I opened up the DM screen to get at the adventure inside, and will likely soon open up Cage as well.
I want to check out that CD.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:12 pm 

I think I did fairly well here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=016

He's offering $22.00 shipping to US from Canada(Xpresspost USA with tracking and insurance).  Is there a cheaper way to ship something like this from Canada that's just as safe/good?  He may not be flexible, but I'd just like to know what options are out there if he's willing to discuss the matter.  Thanks! :)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:50 pm 

benjoshua wrote:I think I did fairly well here:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

He's offering $22.00 shipping to US from Canada(Xpresspost USA with tracking and insurance).  Is there a cheaper way to ship something like this from Canada that's just as safe/good?  He may not be flexible, but I'd just like to know what options are out there if he's willing to discuss the matter.  Thanks! :)

Yep, you killed me with three seconds left to go. I knew I should have gone for 65!  Not sure about the shipping.  It goes by weight,

Try here:

http://www.postescanada.ca/Personal/Too ... anada.aspx  

and see if you can find something cheaper.  The other Canadians may know more.

Shoot and I thought I had it...nice pick-up.

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe...we are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:52 pm 

PaulKM wrote:
Yep, you killed me with three seconds left to go. I knew I should have gone for 65!

Whew!  It's a good thing I sniped. :oops:

You know, there's another coming up soon:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DUNGEON-CRAWL-CLASS ... dZViewItem

Good luck! :)

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:54 pm 

benjoshua wrote:

Yeah, no mention of shipping cost from Nippon.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:15 pm 

I picked up shrinked #35 on a $59.99 BIN a couple weeks ago, thought I was getting a steal.  Guess not as much as I thought, but still a good price for one of the first DCCs to sell out during the Goodman 50% off blowout sale.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:52 pm 

#35 was the only one I wanted, next to #51, and it only cost me $30, with shipping included. I figure that was a good deal. At least now I can stop looking for it.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:46 am 

Has anyone noticed Troll and Toads keyword spamming with Dungeon Crawl Classics. They've made it look like a syntex error and have every module start with # so that if you do a search for DCC #35 all of their stock in any DCC module comes up.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:50 am 

benjoshua wrote:

Thanks. Well the postage on that one's a bit much, so I'll have to bide my time. It will come eventually, but I really liked that seller because he was in Canada!

Don't feel badly I've lost every auction for the last two weeks, and I doubt I'll win another :lol:

PreviousNext