Dungeon Crawl Classics Questions/Opinions
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:23 am 

I like the Dungeon Crawl Classics modules.  I only have about fifteen of them, but the one's I've read are not bad.  Three questions;

1) I noticed DCC #3 has a 3.5 version which isn't all that valuable.  Is there a 1e version?

2) If there is one, how much does it usually go for on eBay?

3) Which Dungeon Crawl Classics modules are best, in your opinion?  Maybe the top five or which ones have you personally really enjoyed?

Thanks! :)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:40 am 

Greetings!

To answer your questions:

1) The only 1e versions are specials released for the past two GenCons.  They are respectively DCC #12.5 and DCC Saga of the Witch Queen.  Both really good adventures, especially Witch Queen which combines DCC #17, the very limited DCC #17.5, and a new bridge adventure to tie the two more closely together.  Nice pastel cover too ...go get one.  :D

2) Are you perhaps thinking of DCC #3.5?  Another limited Con special by Dave Arneson,  it's perhaps the most expensive DCC out there with an Ebay price of around $200 - $250.  Its ok.  But there are so many other good DCCs I would buy some of the others first and then decide if you really need this one.

3) DCC #2 Vault of Tsathzar Rho I think is really good.  It is also included  in DCC Saga of the Dragon Cult which inludes 3 other early modules, and again includes a new bridge adventure to tie all the stories together.  If you already have it then I would recommend the afore mentioned con special Saga of the Witch Queen.  I'll also recommend DCC #30 as another really good story with lot's of memorable bits and characters.

Cheers!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:59 pm 

benjoshua wrote:I like the Dungeon Crawl Classics modules.  I only have about fifteen of them, but the one's I've read are not bad.  Three questions;

1) I noticed DCC #3 has a 3.5 version which isn't all that valuable.  Is there a 1e version?

2) If there is one, how much does it usually go for on eBay?

3) Which Dungeon Crawl Classics modules are best, in your opinion?  Maybe the top five or which ones have you personally really enjoyed?

Thanks! :)

I'd recommend Saga of the Witch Queen (the compilation still available from Goodman of 17 & 17.5, plus more), #28 Into the Wilds, and #26 The Scaly God as I've read these recently and liked all three as good examples of old school adventures.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:03 am 

For those that may have missed the limited edition DCC#30 (Vault of the Dragon Kings) tournament boxed set Nobleknight Games who have it for sale at the moment.

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:59 pm 

I'd just echo Badmike. I own most of the DCCs, and he's called out some of my favorites.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:07 pm 

Uh-oh ...

http://www.ogrecave.com/news/goodman_dc ... view.shtml

Can phat lewt and kewl tats be far behind? Say it ain't so, Goodman ...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:11 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Uh-oh ...

Yuck... I wasn't going to buy any 4th Ed. anyway, but this just confirmed it.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:38 pm 

I guess with the release of 4E, 3E is now considered "classic."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:58 pm 

I did not want them before, so I see no reason to want them now.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:25 pm 

I think they'll keep that Wicked whatever line separate from this, but if you listen to the pod cast the DCCs probably will take a 2nd edition route - just not sure.  Though if the stat blocks are smaller and more adventure can be written then I may at least check out the first few.  Since my only grip about the DCC's was the massive stat blocks - not their fault since that's 3.x, but they could have and think they have done simply reference the MM and provide small stats.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:24 pm 

Plaag wrote:
I think they'll keep that Wicked whatever line separate from this, but if you listen to the pod cast the DCCs probably will take a 2nd edition route - just not sure.  Though if the stat blocks are smaller and more adventure can be written then I may at least check out the first few.  Since my only grip about the DCC's was the massive stat blocks - not their fault since that's 3.x, but they could have and think they have done simply reference the MM and provide small stats.

ShaneG.

Well, I"m out.  A good reason I bought these was the "retro" feel. These covers look like typical ho hum crap, I won't be buying any.  I think Goodman is going to be surprised at how many people might drop this line when see the "new look".  One good thing is that Goodman are going to start dumping product; 20% off sale in May, plus from what is being bandied about, companies like Goodman may not be allowed to sell any pre-4E material in a few months.  

With this new development, I'm going to say the collectibility of ORIGINAL editions of DCC 1-50 will be pretty high in the future.  They aren't going to reprint these, guys, in any way shape or form in their original appearance. I'd pick up the one's you are missing when the real dumping begins soon.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:48 am 

OK....

Is this a New Coke sort of thing?

Has there been a big turnover at Goodman and the new thinkers have some wonderful, new thoughts?

Has Goodman been purchased by a wealthy non-gamer family who put one of their female members in charge...a woman with no game experience and actual contempt for gamers and whose main experience is in publishing childrens' books?

Is Goodman, also, just jetisoning us as customers?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:59 am 

Is Goodman just jetisoning us as customers?

I don't think it is necessarily Goodman's fault that the Evil Empire known as WotC has mucked things up pretty good with 4E, but they aren't exactly helping the current fan base any with the new cover art.  By this time next year the overall sales figures should tell who is left standing should there be any real fallout from the whole of the New & Improved 4E/GSL D&D.

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 10, 2008 1:11 am 

I remain excited about 4e.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 10, 2008 3:34 am 

Badmike wrote:Plus from what is being bandied about, companies like Goodman may not be allowed to sell any pre-4E material in a few months.

Mike B.

While not yet set in stone (as no one has the GSL) there was talk of allowing 3.x and 4.0 products to be sold by the same company, just you could not do so under the same brand..so DCCs would have to be one or the other, not both rules.  But as everything regarding the GSL, it isn't available, so who knows what will be the final decision.

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 10, 2008 3:42 am 

FormCritic wrote:OK....

Has there been a big turnover at Goodman and the new thinkers have some wonderful, new thoughts?

Has Goodman been purchased by a wealthy non-gamer family who put one of their female members in charge...a woman with no game experience and actual contempt for gamers and whose main experience is in publishing childrens' books?

I just listened to a podcast with Joe Goodman (available on the same link as the cover pics) and it appears he's as flustered as anyone. This entire OGL bullshit by WoTC has taken all 3rd party publishers like Necromancer, Paizo, and Goodman off guard. Basically, if a company wants to switch to 4E, they have to get rid of all 3E products by a certain deadline, and they aren't allowed to sell them after that date...which basically means dumping all backstock for nothing, and having no future earnings with backstock. Or, they can stick with the OGL, but then aren't given a liscence to produce 4E stuff. Paizo seems to have gone this way, giving up on 4E entirely in favor of their own version of 3.5.  

First of all, I say good for Paizo.  Honestly I'm thinking of buying some of their Pathfinder stuff just to support them. I hope these misteps really leave a door of opportunity open for Paizo and they are able to take advantage of it.

Anyway, back to Joe Goodman, his company is in a real pickle. Listen tot he podcast, the entire thing just sounds like a mess, and I feel sorry for him having built a successful company he's left to just twist in the wind. Their choices are to start putting out 4E and basically lose tons of money dumping backstock (effectively, starting over because they won't be ALLOWED to sell their backstock) and publish new 4E items; or not, and they have chosen to move ahead with 4E.  With the caveat that they can't even publish their stuff until WoTC has a three month head start, and even then until the actual books are released for 4E they aren't able to actually put the finishing touches on anything they have worked up.

This being said, I'm sure someone thought the best gameplan for Goodman Games would be to entirely jettison the "1st edition feel" approach of the DCC modules, with the very cool retro look and feel, and jump in with both feet into the pond of 4E with a new look and new approach.

My verdict: DISASTER.  I don't know how much of their business was the retro game like myself, or Kingofpain(who I know collects these also), or many others that don't play 3/3.5 but love the look and thus purchase the item, but I feel it was at least a few.  With the fractioning of the market as is (surely there are 3.5 gamers not willing to switch), it's just a money loss for Goodman Games plain and simple. I'm definitely out and won't be purchasing any DCC stuff except what is needed to fill out my collection of the original stuff.

Has the entire industry gone bonkers?  Good Lord.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 10, 2008 3:43 am 

FormCritic wrote:OK....

Well they could technically go back to 3.x if things don't work out.

No new thinkers, if you listen to the podcast you'll hear that Goodman tends to want to put out modules for the current D&D rule set.

No..but then what company has ;) On that though, I know of 2 companies with Woman Presidents: Paizo and Privateer Press which have companies that are doing really good.  And have some of the good writers/artists.

Us as in grognards? Us as in gamers? You as in Generation W or is that V? :D Some will stop purchasing because of the rules, but as of yet without the new rules who knows if there are those that will start to purchase because of them.

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 10, 2008 3:46 am 

Plaag wrote:
While not yet set in stone (as no one has the GSL) there was talk of allowing 3.x and 4.0 products to be sold by the same company, just you could not do so under the same brand..so DCCs would have to be one or the other, not both rules.  But as everything regarding the GSL, it isn't available, so who knows what will be the final decision.

ShaneG.

I did run across this also, and I have no doubt something will be worked out.  But this has really piqued my interest in the DCC's as future collectibles, as there is no way they will ever be reprinted or reissued in the original form if the GSL holds up.  The first #50 might end up being nothing more than interesting curios, but I have a gut feeling that they are unique enough looking to qualify as something a gamer might want to complete a set of in, say, 10 years or so.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Next