Dark Druids
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:18 am 

I notice that Rob Kuntz's "Dark Druids" adventure - which was published by Troll Lord Games - was made available through Pied Piper in .PDF format.

Why is this? I also notice that all the posts relating to Dark Druids in the Troll Lord forum have either been removed or replaced with an "unknown" message.

Is there any particular story behind this? Is there any value to the Troll Lord product? Did they not see fit to publish the remaining two adventures (I believe this was intended as a trilogy, if I am not mistaken)? Is PPP's version updated or something?

Any info would be helpful, as I really enjoyed reading the Troll Lord version.

Thanks!

Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:57 am 

If you mean the ezBoard forums, there are countless posts listed as Unknown (or "This post has been deleted and cannot be retrieved" or whatever it says) - that was caused by a crash of the forums and a subsequent failure on the host's side to have reliable backups, and it affected much more than TLG. Those forums are the old ones, by the way, so if you're still going to them, you're missing out on, well, everything.

As to PPPs version, it is updated, and, I believe not d20 statted (I think it uses the generic stuff.) There is also a little more material in it, from what was discussed on the PPP forums (those are ezBoards.)

As far as value goes: probably not a whole lot. d20 stuff, typically, is worthless. That is monetary though... playing value is quite high.

I am unaware of any trilogy thing, but, if it was intended, it is possible that, when Rob dropped doing Codex Germania, he dropped the Dark Druids thing, too. I am sure TLG would've published it, if they had it, and it was wanted to be published. There can be all kinds of reasons for this - maybe RJK wanted more money, maybe TLG wanted things delivered faster... I don't know, since I was just "joining" around then. Only Steve and Rob can say - everything else is speculation and I would lay "blame" on nobody without having any of the facts (which I don't have.)

New TLG Forums

In case you were curious. There is even a section for talking about Rob's TLG products and other works.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:59 am 

Thanks for the update! Of course, I'm not looking to "lay blame" at all, just wondering what happened.

Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:09 pm 

Yeah, the "unknown" messages are an artifact of the great ezBoards fiasco from a couple/three years ago.  

If you're looking for some discussion about the module, you can ping into Rob's boards @ http://p085.ezboard.com/fpiedpiperpublishingfrm58 and ask for some compare/contrast info.

My recollection is that the module's substantially expanded in length, but some of that is certainly due to d20 bloat; there is some new/additional material, though.

WRT the rest of the Dark Quest series, Rob had planned it out as the first in a series of four or five modules, which haven't been written yet beyond the first.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:12 am 

Last time I looked at the Troll Lord site, Dark Druids was selling for something like $1, along with a number of other TLG D20 items.

I bet the special is still on....and the shipping was cheap as well.

:wink: Mark

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."