in blister or out?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:24 pm 

How many of you guys prefer your minis in the blister as compared to out?  If you do prefer them in the blister will you pay significantly more for them?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:42 pm 

fisher5676 wrote:How many of you guys prefer your minis in the blister as compared to out?  If you do prefer them in the blister will you pay significantly more for them?

Way more in the blister or box, condition of the package is very important as well. :)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:27 pm 

In the blister pack will command way more money and is far more desirable.  For boxes, I just want them complete with all components and inserts, and the box in excellent condition.  I don't care so much if it's in the shrink, though that will command more money.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:49 pm 

Out of blister, and painted by an exceptional award-winning artist :)

With the right paint job, they're worth much more than new in blister.

:wink:

Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:35 pm 

Center_Stage_Hobbies wrote:Out of blister, and painted by an exceptional award-winning artist :)

With the right paint job, they're worth much more than new in blister.

:wink:

True true.  Some well painted minis command hundreds.  I know of some for sale :wink:

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:54 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:True true.  Some well painted minis command hundreds.  I know of some for sale :wink:

For those who may not know, Blackmoor's avatar is not a drawing or a computer-generated image but a photograph of a mini that his wife painted.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:59 pm 

In the blister...minty, like Hamilcar minty.

I have to get around and post some pictures of my mini's for you guys.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:51 pm 

I sell minis mostly in the blister and they do pretty well.  I have some listed now that are already in the teens with over three days to go.

CSH is right though that a well-painted mini can sell even better.

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:45 am 

I'm normally cool with the idea of unopened collectibles for print products, but I'm not convinced that keeping miniatures in the original packaging is good preservation.  There are "lead rot" issues to worry about.

There's a reasonably academic article on the subject on the U.S. Navy's website (because, apparently, they collect miniatures, too!), but I'll give the short summary:

Lead with impurities can corrode if exposed to acidic fumes.  A  lot of wood, paper, and plastic products release acidic fumes.  If those fumes are allowed to build up in an area without a lot of air circulation, they initiate an almost unstoppable chain reaction of disintegrating lead.

Miniatures in shrinkwrap (or a blister) are in a paper/plastic-filled environment with low air circulation.  This can be bad.

Here's a true and embarassing story: I buy a bunch of boxes of Star Frontiers minis from a discounter at Gen Con 1993. I open up some to look at, but leave the rest in shrink.  Then I move across the country and leave the whole set in storage at my parents house... until 2004.  The boxes I had opened were fine.  When I opened the still-shrinked boxes, they were all rotted.

TSR's miniatures are notorious in the minatures community for lead rot.  That's because they used cheap lead, cheap cardboard, and cheap plastic foam, plus they didn't sell well, so a lot of them have stayed in the package too long.  If I buy shrinkwrapped TSR minis, I now assume that some will be rotted, and price accordingly. (The last 5 boxes of SF minis I bought were about 30% gone.)

Frankly, buying a "mint in package" box of TSR miniatures is like trying to buy Schroedinger's Cat.  You may just own a box of lead carbonite dust.  Your mileage will vary with other companies: I've seen a lot of issues with 1980s RAFM, myself.

Blisterpacked minis can rot, too, but at least they can be monitored.  If you're collecting blistered minis, make sure you check them on a regular basis.  I've noticed a certain "fogginess" on the blisterpacks of corroded miniatures (especially where the lead touches the plastic), so that may be a first sign to look out for (of course, some plastic just gets foggy as it ages, so it's an imperfect warning system).  If a miniature starts to rot, you might as well open the package and try to save it (or at least, save the other miniatures it's packed with), because the corrosion won't stop on its own.

Edit: Some pictures of rotted TSR minis, courtesy of The Miniatures Page.  I should add that the degree of "rottiness" seems to vary by product. In the case of Star Frontiers, TSR seems to have used better lead for spaceships than for characters, so ships are less likely to be found rotted.  I believe the spaceships were some of the last SF minis produced, so it may simply be that they got better lead suppliers late in the line.

WWW ICQ  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:51 pm 

I prefer them out of the blister.

They're cheaper, and how else can I play with them? :lol:

Shanghai fun & friends!