Chaosium Monographs
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:01 pm 

I've just won a copy of Machine Tractor Station Kharkov-37 on Ebay. It's dated 2004 and looks for all the world like a fairly decent photocopy bound with tape. It has a card cover, print quality is awful - very like a toner job. Is this how these earlier Monographs were put together or have I just been had?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:07 pm 

You're lucky- the 2003 Monographs were embossed on the sole of Sandy Petersen's shoe. If you purchased one, he would visit your home to kick you in the head until the words were impressed upon your bleeding flesh. All in all, I'd rather have the photocopies.

Last edited by sauromatian on Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:15 pm 

It does sound like a Chaosium monograph.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:26 pm 

Outrageous, this thing went for $20 "new". Better read it then I suppose, so I can convince myself content trumps presentation.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:47 pm 

The monographs are all print on demand books with tape bindings, which means they likely had them printed, at least initially, at Kinkos.  While I've not purchased any further monographs, I did get the Basic RolePlaying series.  I knew what I was getting when I purchased them, so I wasn't disappointed at the lack of illustrations inside.  The only reason I did purchase them was to ensure that Deluxe Basic Role Playing (an oxymoron?) saw the light of day.  It will...maybe.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:12 pm 

sauromatian wrote:You're lucky- the 2003 Monographs were embossed on the sole of Sandy Petersen's shoe. If you purchased one, he would visit your home to kick you in the head until the words were impressed upon your bleeding flesh. All in all, I'd rather have the photocopies.

Huh?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:39 pm 

Traveller wrote:The monographs are all print on demand books with tape bindings, which means they likely had them printed, at least initially, at Kinkos.  While I've not purchased any further monographs, I did get the Basic RolePlaying series.  I knew what I was getting when I purchased them, so I wasn't disappointed at the lack of illustrations inside.  The only reason I did purchase them was to ensure that Deluxe Basic Role Playing (an oxymoron?) saw the light of day.  It will...maybe.

That explains the cost. The later monographs are a lot slicker, cover-wise at least, this is what I'd got used to so the earlier one came as a bit of a shock. At least I didn't buy a photocopy of a photocopy, mine's an original photocopy :-)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:47 pm 

megnelwil wrote:I've just won a copy of Machine Tractor Station Kharkov-37 on Ebay. It's dated 2004 and looks for all the world like a fairly decent photocopy bound with tape. It has a card cover, print quality is awful - very like a toner job. Is this how these earlier Monographs were put together or have I just been had?

Sounds like my early monographs.

I've been meaning to pick up a copy of that one at some point.  Let me know how the content is.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:40 pm 

The new ones are much nicer perfectbound printings, but the old ones looked like something you could put together at home with a $100 laserprinter and a roll of electrical tape.  :P

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:25 pm 

I was thinking hockey tape, but I suppose they might have splurged and gone with electrical. :lol:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:04 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:
Huh?

I really starting to think he is actually this guy:

Funny as all hell, but definitely NSFW do to STRONG language

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:09 pm 

sauromatian wrote:You're lucky- the 2003 Monographs were embossed on the sole of Sandy Petersen's shoe. If you purchased one, he would visit your home to kick you in the head until the words were impressed upon your bleeding flesh. All in all, I'd rather have the photocopies.

:lol:

too true.  reports are that the most recent productions have improved somewhat. but still expect typos, editing errors, limited illustrations.  adventure content is what you are buying.  back to the old school  :D

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:33 pm 

red_bus wrote:too true.  reports are that the most recent productions have improved somewhat. but still expect typos, editing errors, limited illustrations.  adventure content is what you are buying.  back to the old school  :D

Hmmm...yup...that sounds a bit like my monograph (Undying Leaders), light on illustrations, self-edited (Chaosium provides no editing for monographs) but light on typos. As I was growing up going through school, my work had to be virtually error free since my mother was a professional proof reader for the local newspaper and was somewhat critical if I erred.

Shameless self-promotion follows:  :P

Undying Leaders

Halloween Horror Returns

Secrets of Tibet

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:48 pm 

They provide the cover art though, do they not?

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:21 pm 

g026r wrote:They provide the cover art though, do they not?

Yes, but the author(s) have the option of providing their own black & white cover art. I was not aware of that when I submitted Undying Leaders or I would have tried to get somebody locally to put something together for me.

Secrets of Tibet

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:46 pm 

What I find hugely encouraging about Chaosium's experiment with monographs is that they seem very popular, despite their relative lack of graphic and production quality (that is, compared to some of the lush material which is on the market, and not intended any way to denigrate the efforts of the many authors).  While no sales figures are available, Chaosium seem happy to produce and sell them, which indicates that they are selling direct in enough volume.  Further, their very recent appearance on ebay has resulted in, thus far, solid resale prices.  This is some evidence that people are keen to buy new material not on gloss but on imaginative and innovative content.  Which is of course just like the D&D we celebrate here.  :D  :D  :D

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:13 pm 

red_bus wrote:What I find hugely encouraging about Chaosium's experiment with monographs is that they seem very popular, despite their relative lack of graphic and production quality (that is, compared to some of the lush material which is on the market, and not intended any way to denigrate the efforts of the many authors).  While no sales figures are available, Chaosium seem happy to produce and sell them, which indicates that they are selling direct in enough volume.  Further, their very recent appearance on ebay has resulted in, thus far, solid resale prices.  This is some evidence that people are keen to buy new material not on gloss but on imaginative and innovative content.  Which is of course just like the D&D we celebrate here.  :D  :D  :D

Indeed.  I think the monographs are the most interesting thing about Chaosium.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:02 pm 

red_bus wrote:What I find hugely encouraging about Chaosium's experiment with monographs is that they seem very popular, despite their relative lack of graphic and production quality (that is, compared to some of the lush material which is on the market, and not intended any way to denigrate the efforts of the many authors).  While no sales figures are available, Chaosium seem happy to produce and sell them, which indicates that they are selling direct in enough volume.  Further, their very recent appearance on ebay has resulted in, thus far, solid resale prices.  This is some evidence that people are keen to buy new material not on gloss but on imaginative and innovative content.  Which is of course just like the D&D we celebrate here.  :D  :D  :D

I agree. I must say that a couple of their monographs managed to entertain my group for almost a year: I especially liked the End Times one  :D

Next