Any particularly collectiable GURPs books at all?
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:53 pm 

Charles G. wrote:The 1st print of GURPS Fantasy. Very different from later prints, both in terms of cover art and content. Don't know if you can get it as a PDF or not, but it may never be made available since the later editions had much more detailed (though somewhat different) content.

I knew the cover art was different, but I've never actually seen a copy.  What's different about the content?
Charles G. wrote:There was also a really weird GURPS fantasy offshoot that dealt with some world that was inhabited by, among other things, sort of undead creatures that were skinless (i.e. just muscle covered skeletons - pretty creepy). Obviously, I don't recall the title, and its not something I've seen lately (though I haven't been looking for it, either)

Sounds like GURPS Fantasy II: Adventures in the Mad Lands.  It had gone down in price a bit 6 months ago or so, but used to be in the $20-25 range.  Written by Robin Laws and a damn weird book. (Personally I prefer the Yrth/Banestorm setting, but YMMV.)

For anyone interested in collecting, be aware that it's one of the few GURPS books that I know of with a fold-out map (the other being GURPS Fantasy Second Edition, though there may be others), so you'll want to ensure that it's, if not attached, at least included.

On another note, related to printings/editions: in some cases, later prints/editions actually seem to be rarer (at the moment) than earlier ones.  As an example, though it's not particularly collectible, I know that GURPS Space Third Edition is rarer (on eBay, at least) than the Second Edition.  Likely is because the 2nd was in print far longer than the 3rd was.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:25 am 

I recall seeing an auction for limited edition hardcovers of some GURPS 3rd edition books. Are they collectible? I noticed for example that while virtually all GURPS 3rd edition softcover books are currently sold at rock bottom prices (8 euros apiece...), the hardback ones keep their price (GURPS Dragons and GURPS Discworld for example are retailed at 25 euros...). This question is of course not related to the fact that GURPS is at the monent the only RPG I collect - GURPS books are (alomost) very interesting reads.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:47 am 

GURPS Dragons is still a decent price as it's one of the few in-print GURPS 3 books that didn't get a price chop when GURPS 4 came out (because it contains GURPS 4 rules as well).

GURPS Discworld/The Discworld Roleplaying Game I can say nothing about, save that it's popular due to the setting and being OOP.

Edit:  Oops.  Turns out The Discworld Roleplaying Game is still in print.  GURPS Discworld is an earlier printing of the same book with a different title, and is out of print though. :oops:  It also didn't receive a price cut though, which may be why it's still costing a bit.

Last edited by g026r on Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:25 pm 

serleran wrote:Anyone have GURPS Old West? Is it any good? I'm doing research on Wild West games and supplements and that one is high on the list to find, just because I imagine it to be easy to find.

I have the second edition, which is superior to the first in terms of information. It has much good useful material and maps (but no stats for historical figures...those were in Roleplayer for the first edition version, I think.)

Allen

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:29 am 

Yep. It was Mad Lands. Give them points for originality, even if it wasn't really my cup of tea, either.

The first print of GURPS Fantasy was slimmer, saddle stitched (rather than perfect bound), and tended to be more generalist than the 2nd Edition, since it had to include spells, fantasy creatures, and a game world. The map of Yrth in the center of the book is interesting, in that it is full color and had the areas further out from the main play area drawn more vaguely. The cover art has a Wizard summoning a demon into a pentagram, taken from The Space Gamer No. 27 cover.

Also, Steve Jackson is the author. Someone else was the author on the later edition, which focused heavily upon Yrth itself.

In looking at the 1st edition, I get the impression that this is what SJ would have loved for TFT: In The Labyrinth, had Metagaming been a bigger budget operation.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:58 am 

Badmike wrote:
INiche genre stuff like the aforementioned Witch World, Riverworld, Horseclans, and Wild Cards (ideas that will probably never get made into RPG setting otherwise) might continue to creep up in value in the next few years....if you see them now, for decent prices, go ahead and pick them up!

Mike B.

Wild Cards actually stems from a Superworld campaign, btw.

Regards,

Stephen

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:05 am 

Charles G. wrote:Yep. It was Mad Lands. Give them points for originality, even if it wasn't really my cup of tea, either.

Wasn't that the one with the sticky fish?  (It's been a while since I read my copy.)
Charles G. wrote:Someone else was the author on the later edition, which focused heavily upon Yrth itself.

Kirk Tate and Janet Naylor, according to SJG's site.

Previous