Any particularly collectiable GURPs books at all?
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:36 am 

Title pretty much says it all.. GURPs is not my strong point (Prisioner maybe?)

Brette:)

Last edited by beasterbrook on Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:50 am 

gurps prisoner is fairly collectable but i don`t know of any others.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:46 am 

beasterbrook wrote:Tital pretty much says it all.. GURPs is not my strong point (Prisioner maybe?)

Most collectible GURPS books are the ones never reprinted...primarily property related that GURPS only had the lisence to print once.  The list below are generally the books that run $25 or over if you can find them used:  The Prisoner, Aztecs, China, Bunnies & Burrows, Russia, Scarlet Pimpernel, Ice Age, Wild Cards (very hard to find without a cracked spine), Horseclans, Bili the Axe (a solo adventure recalled because of mistakes in the entries, very hard to find), Conan, Witch World (again, hard to find without a cracked spine), and the GURPS Traveller books which are now becoming quite sought after, especially; Traveller: First In, Traveller: Starships and Traveller: Behind the Claw (can easily top $100 each).  While most GURPS books are junk (collectible-wise, they are mostly good readin), cherry picking can lead to some decent finds when you see a large collection on the shelf of your local used game spot.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:48 am 

And I was just going to say..."You should ask Badmike."  :)

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:53 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:And I was just going to say..."You should ask Badmike."  :)

Hee hee, thanks. One good thing about living so close to Austin, Tx is that Gurps books of any type are generally available en masse at used bookstores (since SJG is based in Austin).  They typically work a lot of local conventions, and over the years have marketed quite a bit to UT students, so that stuff is strewn about out there more than it would be in, say, New Jersey or Washington state.  So it's very little problem to come up with a cheap set of the "common" Gurps stuff, and even the rarer stuff, if you look for awhile it comes your way.  Why, a HPB in town has a copy of Scarlet Pimpernel just waiting on it's shelf for the collector to buy! (Inside joke for KingofPain there.... :D )

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:57 am 

Badmike wrote:
Hee hee, thanks. One good thing about living so close to Austin, Tx is that Gurps books of any type are generally available en masse at used bookstores (since SJG is based in Austin).  They typically work a lot of local conventions, and over the years have marketed quite a bit to UT students, so that stuff is strewn about out there more than it would be in, say, New Jersey or Washington state.  So it's very little problem to come up with a cheap set of the "common" Gurps stuff, and even the rarer stuff, if you look for awhile it comes your way.  Why, a HPB in town has a copy of Scarlet Pimpernel just waiting on it's shelf for the collector to buy! (Inside joke for KingofPain there.... :D )

Mike B.

It could be the rarest book on the planet and I still dont think I would buy it.  I cant bring myself to buy anything with the word "pimpernel" in it.  :wink:   There were copies of Ice Age and China the last time I was there as well.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:44 pm 

Badmike wrote:The Prisoner, Aztecs, China, Bunnies & Burrows, Russia, Scarlet Pimpernel, Ice Age, Wild Cards (very hard to find without a cracked spine), Horseclans, Bili the Axe (a solo adventure recalled because of mistakes in the entries, very hard to find), Conan, Witch World (again, hard to find without a cracked spine), and the GURPS Traveller books which are now becoming quite sought after, especially; Traveller: First In, Traveller: Starships and Traveller: Behind the Claw

I think I've got about half of those, though my Witch World may have a cracked spine -- I don't recall. :?  I'd personally probably add Robin Hood to that list, as I don't see it up for auction all that often, and Traveller: Alien Races 2 as it's also out of print.  (Though I don't know if its price has been going up.  I got mine from my FLGS for about $15, so I never really spent much time checking online for it. :D )

Ice Age has been popping up a lot recently, it seems.  Curious as to if that will have an effect on the price.  Then again, I find that with a few exceptions (eg: Bunnies & Burrows) GURPS prices tend to be rather volatile regardless of OOP status.  One week a book goes for $30, the next week it's going for $10 in as good of condition, then it's right back up to $30 again. :roll:

Kingofpain89 wrote:It could be the rarest book on the planet and I still dont think I would buy it.  I cant bring myself to buy anything with the word "pimpernel" in it.  :wink:

Which is a pity, as it's a fairly fun book.  Combine it with Swashbucklers (and maybe a little Age of Napoleon, for some extra historical background on 18th century France -- I can't recall how much 18th cent. it covers though) and you've got an excellent set of sourcebooks for high-adventure in Revolutionary France.  (Though I'm not certain I'd use GURPS for such a game; I find the combat tends to get a tad clunky.)  Hrm...  Mike, any idea on the current price for GURPS Swashbucklers (2nd Edition)?  I know that one's out of print as well...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:17 pm 

Ice Age seems to be in the tank at the moment:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0166062538

I'll have to keep my eye out for the Traveller ones though - I seem to recall them on a shelf somewhere.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:53 pm 

Badmike wrote:
The Prisoner, Aztecs, China, Bunnies & Burrows, Russia, Scarlet Pimpernel, Ice Age, Wild Cards (very hard to find without a cracked spine), Horseclans, Bili the Axe (a solo adventure recalled because of mistakes in the entries, very hard to find), Conan, Witch World (again, hard to find without a cracked spine), and the GURPS Traveller books which are now becoming quite sought after, especially; Traveller: First In, Traveller: Starships and Traveller: Behind the Claw (can easily top $100 each).  

Mike B.

The good thing about that is that I have about half of those, the bad thing is that I have half of those;) (I picked up Bili a while back besause I heard that it had been recalled, I must say that I havrn't seen any lately on ebay...)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:20 pm 

I believe that I last saw a copy 2 or 3 months ago.  Forget what the final price was except that it was higher than my bid. :lol:

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:38 pm 

Gotta watch out on GURPS titles for reprinting. SJG will often go back and reprint old titles (that would not violate copyright/trademark/whatever, as BadMike mentioned in his op).

This is common with the GURPS Traveller books. It's not hard to spend $40 for a GURPS book on eBay then see the next print hit the shelves for $18 or whatever 8 months later.  :o

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:36 am 

Mars wrote:Ice Age seems to be in the tank at the moment:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

I'll have to keep my eye out for the Traveller ones though - I seem to recall them on a shelf somewhere.

Ice Age used to be a reliable $25 or so, but yeh it's tanked lately, a lot seem to be turning up, maybe a warehouse find or something?

And yes prices are all over the place on Gurps stuff, unlike the predictibility of many D&D items.  If you find something for auction, rather than an Ebay store, you may get it way underpriced.

Robin Hood and Camelot seem to be making their way into the more expensive Gurps setting books, as it appears neither will ever be reprinted.  Some Gurps books that had huge prices on them before reprinting inlcuding Old West, Cliffhangers, Swashbucklers, Japan, and Vikings (now very easy to find at $5 or so each due to reprints).  Since the latest Gurps edition has been released, I would be surprised to find many of the pre-2000 books being reprinted anytime soon, as they seem to focus more on original works nowadays.  But you never know, the beauty of a lot of the Gurps books is the ability to switch the sourcebooks to any set of editions or rules.

I'd say the area of Gurps collectibles hasn't reached it's peak yet. Since most of the Gurps books were published in the heydey of the late 80s and early 90s, many are only now becoming rather hard to find.  Any gurps completists out there, which I'm sure there are some (and bound to be more in the years ahead) might have a hard time locating a nice copy of legendary "bad spine" books like Witch World, Riverworld or Wild Cards, and I predict those could someday top $50 or more if in uncracked shape.  

I actually see a lot of potential in Gurps as a collectible.  The books are for the most part well written and interesting, and cover a lot of subjects not elaborated on in  RPGs, even d20 which seemingly has a world for everything.  Niche genre stuff like the aforementioned Witch World, Riverworld, Horseclans, and Wild Cards (ideas that will probably never get made into RPG setting otherwise) might continue to creep up in value in the next few years....if you see them now, for decent prices, go ahead and pick them up!

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:48 am 

Thanks for that Mike (and others) I'll pick up a couple of the above of the esp hard to get ones (think I'll even pick up the Robin Hood one as well)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:21 am 

Well you have to be fast... was going to pick up a few of the above Gurps books at reasonable prices and they have all gone in a day! I had to consol myself with picking up all the Kith books for $8us...

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:22 pm 

GURPS Bunnies & Burrows recently sold for $28 at auction (5 bidders, "new copy"):

** expired/removed eBay auction **

This title is OOP, but is available as a pdf from SJG for $7.95, which may keep the prices down some:

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/Bunnies/

I don't have this pdf, but there's a 5 page preview available, and the quality looks good (much better than the typical TSR scans at RPGnow/Paizo).

Looks like select other GURPs books are also available through PDF:

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/

GURPS Ice Age is one of them...

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:22 pm 

My experience has been that the e23 PDFs tend to be of very good quality.  

My guess is that it's as a result of SJG being the ones who published the original books, and therefore they have access to the original printing sources rather than having to scan a copy of the book like many of the Paizo/RPGNow PDFs seem to be. :wink:

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:20 am 

Y'know...I have alll three of those GURPS Traveller books mentioned and two of them (First In and Starships) are practically unused. The Behind The Claw is a bit more used, but not by much.

Anyone want them?

Allen

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:45 am 

Anyone have GURPS Old West? Is it any good? I'm doing research on Wild West games and supplements and that one is high on the list to find, just because I imagine it to be easy to find.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Next