Beasts, Men and Gods
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:17 am 

Mars wrote:There is a copy on Amazon for $100.

Well, if it's in EX condition or above, it's probably a fair price. IIRC, there is also an eratta sheet which is more often than not missing, and a product called Geomorphic Wilderness Hexagons which is rediculously rare.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:46 pm 

Not sure about an errata sheet - I think you are thinking of What Price Glory?!.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:41 pm 

yes, but the benefit of sharing is that anyone in the world will get the opportunity of trying/enjoying this game again.

Sharing in this case may mean distributing a pdf copy or printing a real copy one more time.

What is the purpose of it all- if only a few person currently have this game in their hands in the entire world?

Each of us should be given the chance of enjoying such an experience.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:41 pm 

by the way, do you know how close to the original "BM&G" rules are these rules?

http://orion.math.iastate.edu/danwell/Hgaming.html

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:57 pm 

Going by those rules, teuzzo, anytime an entity decides to stop producing a product, temporarily or permanently, it should become public domain. That doesn't work well.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:10 pm 

teuzzo wrote:yes, but the benefit of sharing is that anyone in the world will get the opportunity of trying/enjoying this game again.

Sharing in this case may mean distributing a pdf copy or printing a real copy one more time.

What is the purpose of it all- if only a few person currently have this game in their hands in the entire world?

Each of us should be given the chance of enjoying such an experience.

Yes, I see your point. Personally, I'd like to enjoy the feel of a small bowl of diamonds, but Debeers think differently and control the flow of that commodity to the market. They don't even hold patent or copyright over that product. You can't really complain that no-one will pirate or rip-off a writer or designer just because you cannot be bothered buying your own copy. If you felt so strongly about it, you'd pony up your $100 and take the chance of legal repocussions yourself.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:27 am 

Hi, I was posting here as AvernusDis, can't remeber what password or email address I used sooo...
Can't send out copies of the pdf becuase I don't have the authority to do it so don't ask.
The game has allot fo interesting ways of handeling things, for a nearly 30 year old system. Whether or not it's dead is kind of a moot point lol, never had that many copies floating around.
It's main differnces from D&D are...
Most of the stats are paired, so that they share a common dice, so if you roll a 6 for the first common die you get that 6 to apply to both your STR and CON wich then get 2 dice each in addition to that.
There is a dual hit point/stamina system where hits mostly apply to stamina first, with some (crits and missile weapons) got straight to hit points.
The combat is on a percentile system with armor peices adding up to your total % to not be hit. Certain results on the "ones" die give you crits and fumbles and "combat events".
Weapons mostly do a single d6 with a bonus in damage, armor absorbs some damage.
Magic is based on a mana point system, magic items are imbued with thier creator's magic points. Spells can be fumbled.

The classes are like in D&D where race is a class, you multiclass magic classes to gain access to differnt spells.

As far as old D&D type games go I think it's the best, allthough it's unsupported. The combat and magic systems are really good, the character classes and character generation systems are so-so (but better than old D&D). In my opinon of course.

I was talking to Bill Underwood a bit but haven't heard from him in a long time, the PDF I sent him has allot of OCR errors in it and it'd be a pain to get it up to publishing snuff, but it'd be interesting to see.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:00 am 

i sent a mail to Bill Underwood 20 days ago and he hasn't still replied to me.

my mail was as follows (more or less):

First of all, thank for your reply.  I own a blog dedicated to "old-school gaming", (ad&d in particular)

followed by enthusiasts of previous editions of D&D and the like.

I would like to ask you a few questions about the rpg you wrote in the eighties.
Firstly, i would like to know (briefly, if you can summarize) its mechanics. Which kind of game it is?

Is it just a "clone" of original dungeons & dragons (or an improved version, based on your personal point of view)or is it a completely different game?
Did you just modify some existing rules and provided a more realistic version of d&d or is it something entirely different?

Don't you think is it possible to spread your game to the world again? I mean, nowadays it seems that many persons are disappointed by 4th edition d&d and they crave to come back to the glorious old-school days and feeling. (see for example the phenomenon of "dungeon crawl classics" by goodman games, or "sword & wizardry", "labyrinth lord", etc...)

I would very much like to have the chance of writing something about your game on my blog, and maybe to spread the knowledge of it.

I was wondering if you might be interested in this. Maybe just a scan of a few pages to put on my blog, if you don't mind, so that people can have a glimpse of it.
I don't know if you have ever considered that your game might be asked for again and printed again?
Or maybe selling it again in electronic format (pdf) through paypal...i would be the first to buy it.

I don't know if you think you can still earn money from your creation or if you just would like to keep it for posterity.

Personally, i think it would be  a pity to lose old-games forever.
Even if it will not be printed again, it would be fantastic if an electronic version existed.

I never played your game, but the cover inspires me and i'm sure it can still be payed today.

waiting for your reply,

cheers

Last edited by vault keeper on Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:44 am 

i'm seriously thinking to buy this game from Amazon in the next few days.

Now, since i'm going to spend A LOT OF MONEY, (more than 100 US$) do you guys think it deserves to be bought?

Apart from its obscurity and rarity.

I mean, i would like to play it with my group of players. And not just once.
If it is worth, i'd switch to it as my rpg of choice.

Any advice? Do you think it is clumsy as for its rules, or still playable after 30 years?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:22 am 

Vault keeper wrote:Any advice? Do you think it is clumsy as for its rules, or still playable after 30 years?

I haven't given this a thorough read but it seemed okay.  I don't think I would call the rules polished so if you are going to use them on a regular basis there is probably a number of alterations you would make along the way.

As for price, $100 is not crazy for this book but there are probably only 2 or 3 people here that would pay that much for it (and probably most of those individuals already have it).  So it may not be easy if you want to try and get that $100+ back if you decide to sell the book later.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:40 pm 

thanks for your input Mars.

i think i'll buy  it in the end.

I was wondering how many persons in the world are still playing this game nowadays (i'm not joking, i would really love to know the "exact" number).

Besides, i wonder how many copies were published of this.

Last edited by vault keeper on Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:46 pm 

underdog wrote:We sold out of the first 500 copies and printed 1000 more but that was about it.

Tough to say how many still exist but they do show up periodically.  As far as number of people actively playing, I'll guess at under 10 worldwide.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:45 pm 

Mars wrote:number of people actively playing, I'll guess at under 10 worldwide.

You are optimistic :)

Considering the number of people having the game, and who know that they still have it, I am not sure that at least 3 persons are playing to this game...

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:29 pm 

3 is under 10 :lol:

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:37 pm 

If "active" means ongoing, then I'm not sure, but my game group gave it a shot for about 5 sessions, before all the characters got killed. That was 6 of us.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:45 am 

And did your group enjoy the game mechanics, Serleran?

You found it attractive, exciting? Or slow and uninteresting?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:56 pm 

We never find a game slow and unattractive, as we can always find a way to make it fun. It is not a system I would use every campaign, but there are some things I would gladly steal, err, implement.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:56 am 

I know that the book is long, like 224 pages or so.

Is it because it contains some long monsters description/listings?
Or some long spells list description?

I can't believe it's just 224 pages of rules  :D

PreviousNext