Beasts, Men and Gods
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:37 am 

Nice to know and thanks.

As far as republishing goes...

I tried scanning a few of the pages from BMG and using an OCR progam on them and the conclusion I have arrived at is that any techniques still will require a lot of human intervention. Maybe i will find recruits to help with proofreading these pages, but I am pessimistic at the moment.

I do have a flatbed scanned copy of the cover from the 1st edition and I will try to remember to post a link to it here sometime tomorrow (i.e... 01/18/2008)

===Bill Underwood===

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:58 pm 

I hope my email address was not too cryptic, but I did not receive anything. That is OK, if you prefer to not go this route. There are always others. If you do wish to pursue, though, I await word and indication.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:53 pm 

Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude. I am doing several things at once and I sort of let this one slip through the cracks. I am replying now. :)

serleran wrote:I hope my email address was not too cryptic, but I did not receive anything. That is OK, if you prefer to not go this route. There are always others. If you do wish to pursue, though, I await word and indication.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:16 pm 

Here is the 1st edition BMG cover. I hope posting a fairly large image like this one isn't against the forum rules.

http://www.wolfhome.com/images/BMGCover.jpg

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:40 pm 

I would be interested in buying a reprint as well.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:43 pm 

brute wrote:I would be interested in buying a reprint as well.

I'd rather have the one shown - and I'll pay the 12 bucks cover price!

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:15 pm 

Iv'e played BM&G some, I really like some of the things you did with it.
I have most fo the book scanned and ocr'd I was reformatting it to fit on fewer pages because my copy fell apart. So it's not an exact copy of the origional, but it wouldn't take too mauch to make it so.

My origional turned into my first attempt a a medevil style cord bound binding (not the easiest thing to do to make a perfect bound glued spine book into a sewn one). So I have what is probably the only leatherbound copy of BM&G lol.

I had an extesive rewrite of the character and combat rules, adding a skill system and peicemeal armor. I think I also switched everything to d10's I'd have to look it was quite awhile ago.

I can finish scanning and converting the last half of the spells pretty quickly if people are intererested.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:56 pm 

Heck yes, I am interested. I have been buried in other things and it looks like I will remain buried for the forseeable future. My contact information is "wkuinkc" at "gmail*com". I would love to see whatever OCR copy you have, the closer to the original text the better. :)

Avernus Dis wrote:Iv'e played BM&G some, I really like some of the things you did with it.
I have most fo the book scanned and ocr'd I was reformatting it to fit on fewer pages because my copy fell apart. So it's not an exact copy of the origional, but it wouldn't take too mauch to make it so.

My origional turned into my first attempt a a medevil style cord bound binding (not the easiest thing to do to make a perfect bound glued spine book into a sewn one). So I have what is probably the only leatherbound copy of BM&G lol.

I had an extesive rewrite of the character and combat rules, adding a skill system and peicemeal armor. I think I also switched everything to d10's I'd have to look it was quite awhile ago.

I can finish scanning and converting the last half of the spells pretty quickly if people are intererested.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:28 pm 

News Update on the possible BMG reprint.

Avernus Dis contacted me at my gmail address, and has subsequently sent me some files. They are in Microsoft Publisher format, as well as Microsoft Word format (which is of course not compatible with Publisher) and a PDF version.

I haven't been able to read the Publisher version. The Word version is text only but reads very well (no OCR errors found yet). The PDF version is FANTASTIC. It is not the precise layout of the original, but contains the original artwork etc. This is from version 1 I believe (it has the price on the cover).

Anyway, more news may follow later.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:21 pm 

Excellent news. Might I be able to see this pdf?

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:10 pm 

I also have a copy of this, and since I am very near Olympia, Washington, and those others whom you had sent copies to, I could possibly find more.  I know of at least two groups who used to play this in the 80's, and when I got my copy I thought it was just something someone typed up (since mine is coverless).  I have done research prior to today and never found anyone else who knew of it.

I am going to make some calls to those in question, and maybe I can scare up a few copies.  I doubt they will be high grade, but they will be BMG.

YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:17 pm 

Sure, I would like to know what happened to the remaining copies. I was owed a bit of money on them that I never saw. Not that I would be able to retire on it but it would be nice to hear from Jason Brown again if nothing else.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:18 pm 

In other news, I discovered that I have a copy of Microsoft Publisher on my work computer and I will be able to do some work towards reworking this book for publication. Not sure when but perhaps soon.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:08 pm 

Please keep us up to date on the progress, or if there is something you might need help with.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:01 pm 

Great news it seems!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:26 pm 

underdog wrote:Outta the woodwork? 8O Ok, well then.

Heh, oh yeah... I have like 3 or maybe even 4 or 5 copies lying around the house somewhere in good condition. That is it though. I can't part with the last ones. There were a few hundred (maybe more) that I never saw again after late 1983. I packed the whole set of 2nd edition books up (several boxes full) along with a TRS-80 computer and some other junk, and shipped it to a "friend" of mine I never heard from again that was living in Olympia Washington.

There was a fly-by-night outfit (not a real company I don't believe) The names I recall are "Jason Brown" (my friend, originally from Kansas City) and I believe "Greg Byers" of "Byers, Wildermuth and Associates" (that's what they called themselves). They got the bulk of the unsold books. Probably in a landfill by now. :(

I am reluctant to part with my few remaining copies, folks, sorry. But I am almost 50 so maybe in another decade or two you'll have a shot at them. Watch the estate sales. Or the landfills.

Reminds me of a check I was finally able to make of someone I mailed a lot of material to, finally made contact after fifteen or more years, only to discover that all the documents had been lost in a move (along with almost everything else he owned).

So, I now know what happened to the originals of most of what I didn't sell.  Ah well, I had always hoped to find them, now I know that isn't likely.

Regards,

Stephen

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:16 pm 

underdog wrote:In other news, I discovered that I have a copy of Microsoft Publisher on my work computer and I will be able to do some work towards reworking this book for publication. Not sure when but perhaps soon.

So any life here?  Any chance of even a .pdf of scan of your publication?  Inquiring minds want to know :D

Politician, Tree, Rope...Some Assembly Required

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:20 pm 

I tried to contact the author a while back with an update on tracking down an individual mentioned earlier in the thread.  However, I didn't get a response to the PM sent here or through the direct email address.  So it seems doubtful this project has moved forward.

PreviousNext