Beasts, Men and Gods
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:35 pm 

I just got my "proof" copy from Lulu.com. Since then I have been refining the text and making small changes to the cover so that the text will fit better. I am including a sample of the cover here.

I was surprised. I think that the proof looks GOOD. Man! I wish I had had print on demand back in 1980! This version is very much like the original (2nd edition) in many ways. "Avernus Dis" sent me a Microsoft Publisher version of the book that he'd scanned in back in 2008, and I found that file and I have been working with it, fixing the remaining OCR errors, changing the margins on the layout to fix the printer (such as having a 0.75" gutter in the middle of the book for the binding), but I left the original text intact (with some changes to fit the new layout) and the original artwork is there too.

Anyway, it will probably still be a while before I am ready to sell this, but I think I am getting close. Does anyone have any suggestions about what I should charge for copies? I would probably be interested in selling signed copies, and I am going to limit the number in this addition. If there's any interest, I will revive my plans someday for a later set of rules, but this set I won't sell again.

===Bill Underwood===

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:55 pm 

Looks GREAT!
I can hardly wait.
Something to look forward to for the near future.
Thank you for doing this!

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:11 pm 

Probably if you can sell 25 copies on Lulu you are probably doing well so price it accordingly.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:27 pm 

Will it be possible to get this in hardback? I may have to break my moratorium on Lulu and PoD in that case.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:38 pm 

I don't have a problem with a hardback version. I wasn't planning on it, but I don't think it is any more trouble (or not much) to do a hardback cover and price it accordingly. I am still waiting on my 2nd proof set, this one from CreateSpace.com, which is going to be better in terms of layout and much fewer typos, but I am going to have to read through it and make at least one more revision before I am ready to sell anything. This will probably take at least another couple of weeks.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:03 pm 

I'd welcome a PDF copy if you sell one. With Lulu, if you offer PDF, you need to remember to add the covers, because normally you upload the covers seperately for the print-on-demand process, and some people then figure people buying PDFs shouldn't get covers.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:08 pm 

I still haven't decided on the PDF version. I know I could watermark the pages. I am, however, thinking about converting it to Kindle, Nook, and other e-book formats. I'm not sure when but probably will. Does anyone have opinions on that?

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:19 pm 

underdog wrote:I still haven't decided on the PDF version. I know I could watermark the pages. I am, however, thinking about converting it to Kindle, Nook, and other e-book formats. I'm not sure when but probably will. Does anyone have opinions on that?

Since I have a kindle, then, Hell yeah, I vote for a kindle conversion, but I have no idea what that entails.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:48 pm 

underdog wrote:I still haven't decided on the PDF version. I know I could watermark the pages. I am, however, thinking about converting it to Kindle, Nook, and other e-book formats. I'm not sure when but probably will. Does anyone have opinions on that?

I'm not sure what options lulu gives you but companies like WotC would embed a unique ID number into each sold electronic copy that would tell them who bought that copy.  This is done mainly to identify the individuals who then release the PDF for free on the internet - they check the ID number and match it to who bought that one (and can then file a lawsuit).  Any watermarks or embedded ID should be something subtle.  If it is easy to spot, it is easy to remove.

If released in electronic format know that a version will probably end up being available for download through some kind of p2p file sharing source like bittorrent, without your authorization or compensation, etc.  Its a reality of the age we live in.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:16 pm 

I still live in the dark ages of the wood cutters.
I am hoping hard copies come out soon.
That is all I need, go out to the woods and cut some trees down please. :twisted:

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:22 am 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:I still live in the dark ages of the wood cutters.
I am hoping hard copies come out soon.

yep, me too  :roll:

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:30 am 

There is a trust issue with PDFs and I assume with all electronic file formats, because you can copy .mobi and .epub formats just as easily as you can copy PDFs and none of the digital rights management (DRM) encriptions are secure.

I only really ask about PDF because I collect elecronically and not physically. As with other publishers, I'd be more than willing to buy a PDF copy directly from the author with PayPal and it would never go anywhere beyond my own harddrive.

In all honest, if you have security concerns over PDFs, don't believe that any of the electronic versions offer any more security or protection against piracy. Apply your concerns about PDFs right across the board and simple don't offer electronic formats for sale at all.

That's the position RJK has taken on his published works, and the position EGG took with his CZ IP, and thus far, no copies of any of those works have appeared online, even in the darkest recesses of the piracy world. Not publishing electronically is the only defence against piracy that has been proven to work as a deterent.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:51 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Not publishing electronically is the only defence against piracy that has been proven to work as a deterent.

But any owner can make a pdf by himself... scan and create the pdf... I think that a guy who releases pdf on the internet after buying them will do the same even if the original is a real book.

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:03 am 

just a thought -- consider getting an ISBN for the printing as well? If you decide to go the formal route of publishing, I think you'd need this for any future retailers/distributors.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:13 am 

misterspock wrote:just a thought -- consider getting an ISBN for the printing as well? If you decide to go the formal route of publishing, I think you'd need this for any future retailers/distributors.

The ISBN seems to be a part of the POD process, so yeah I think I have that. I somehow ended up with a bar-code on the back cover, which I hadn't really expected. That seems to be a part of the process as well...

I can't remember if I said in an earlier post that I got my proof copy from CreateSpace.com today, and it looks good. I have printed off another inkjet version and 3-hole punched it because (a) I guess I just hate trees and (b) I find that a paper copy seems more 'real' and I find the typos easier. With an electronic one, the spell checker catches a lot of them but then it's up to eyeballs. Paper copies are easier for me to proofread.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:51 am 

underdog wrote:
The ISBN seems to be a part of the POD process, so yeah I think I have that. I somehow ended up with a bar-code on the back cover, which I hadn't really expected. That seems to be a part of the process as well...

I can't remember if I said in an earlier post that I got my proof copy from CreateSpace.com today, and it looks good. I have printed off another inkjet version and 3-hole punched it because (a) I guess I just hate trees and (b) I find that a paper copy seems more 'real' and I find the typos easier. With an electronic one, the spell checker catches a lot of them but then it's up to eyeballs. Paper copies are easier for me to proofread.

AWESOME!  :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:58 am 

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:27 pm 

This is just a set of hexagon sheets with a fancy cover page isn't it?

PreviousNext