Arcane magazine: how many issues?
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:48 pm 

I was perusing my collection and I noticed (shock! horror!) that I miss issue 17 while I have issues 1 to 16 and 18-19. I wonder: how many issues got published? This magazine was a great favourite of mine, being British (and so witty and well written), with superb graphics and a lot of articles. Of course, it folded  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:46 pm 

I'll second that recommendation for Arcane, it was very good with high production values and excellent content.  It's a shame it folded but most gaming magazines seem to do so.  I sold my collection of Arcane mags to someone on eBay about a year ago for almost nothing.  I'm not sure why more people are not interested in old gaming magazines, they're a great window on the past with lots of fun and interesting information from a bygone era.  I don't know how many were published until it folded.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:27 pm 

20 Issues I belive

Brette:)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:38 pm 

I enjoyed Arcane, too. I used to have a local Barnes & Noble that stocked lots of UK magazines, and I'd always pick up an Arcane if I saw one. I got rid of mine, too, years ago ... and now I wish I still had them.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:43 am 

Thanks guys. I guess Arcane doesn't get any prices because it was not put out by a gaming publisher (a definite bonus in my eyes  :wink: ). Well, better for savvy collectors like me  :P

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:26 pm 

Was there much (if any?) crossover in content between Arcane and UK Polyhedron?

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:59 am 

The Arcane folded a long time before UK poly I believe... I must admit my opinion of the mag is a bit lower than the above posts, From memory the magazine did have nice production values, but as i whole it was taken up by games/miniture/etc reviews. They did produce some generic adventures as a pull out section in the magazine (1 in every issue and these are the things that are usually missing) but over all no other real "meaty" articles. I like my mags to have a bit of useful game ideas/ hardware/ ardentures that you can use and reuse.. magazine devoted to this game is good/average/crap is of no real long term use... I think that they had a nice RPG industry gossip which is interesting to read now... They fact that they were massed produced makes them not so rare or that expensive to collect.. (I still need another couple I belive)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:50 am 

Thanks Brette; I realized later after I posted that I was mixing up Imagine and Arcane re: possible UK Poly content crossovers.  Any ideas on that? :D

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:04 pm 

Not about Arcane magazine (sorry), but posted in the first thread I could find about magazines (didn't want to start a new thread)

I've just got hold of a sci-fi fiction magazine from the Uk called Far Point - anyone ever heard of it? It was published in 1991 and has a few short stories in (not that good!) - has a few ads relevant to gamers (minis etc).
I have issue 1 but have no idea whether any more were ever releasesd.
Any info gratefully recieved
Carl

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:51 pm 

gyg wrote:Not about Arcane magazine (sorry), but posted in the first thread I could find about magazines (didn't want to start a new thread)

I've just got hold of a sci-fi fiction magazine from the Uk called Far Point - anyone ever heard of it? It was published in 1991 and has a few short stories in (not that good!) - has a few ads relevant to gamers (minis etc).
I have issue 1 but have no idea whether any more were ever releasesd.
Any info gratefully recieved
Carl

Never heard of it but that is not surprising, there were a lot of small fantasy/sf zines/magazines printed from the 1950 onewards... but... this is the one I think you are talking about

http://www.locusmag.com/index/chklst/mg0364.htm

4 issues printed, the first in 1991, the next 3 in 1992

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:53 pm 

thats the chap - a small bet with myself had said Brette would come up with the answers!
cheers
Carl

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:13 pm 

To Alexander1968:

Hi, I was wondering whether you could help me: I'm interested in reading older articles about the collectible card game "Middle-earth CCG" (MECCG), and I understand Arcane Magazine published a few such articles.
However, I have no way of knowing which issues include those articles.

So before I decide to buy any, do you think you might be able to tell me which issues do indeed talk about MECCG? If it's not too much trouble of course, otherwise I'll just try and collect them all and then sell off the ones that interest me less.

Anyway, thanks very much for your time.

Adrian

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:27 am 

Hi Adrian--

Unfortunately, I don't own any copies of Arcane (or Imagine), so I can't help you there.  Perhaps someone else can (Brette? :D ).

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:52 am 

evenwiser wrote:To Alexander1968:

Hi, I was wondering whether you could help me: I'm interested in reading older articles about the collectible card game "Middle-earth CCG" (MECCG), and I understand Arcane Magazine published a few such articles.
However, I have no way of knowing which issues include those articles.

So before I decide to buy any, do you think you might be able to tell me which issues do indeed talk about MECCG? If it's not too much trouble of course, otherwise I'll just try and collect them all and then sell off the ones that interest me less.

Anyway, thanks very much for your time.

Adrian

Hmmm... that would mean perusing all the issues and noting the ones with MECCG articles in it. I'm sorry, it would be too much a chore and I have a lot of things in my hands at the moment (just back from a comics and games con with some intreresting gaming purchases to sell - mostly Italian edition MERP books, some of them "absolutely sold out"  :D  according to the Italian publishers).

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:29 am 

OK, thanks anyway for taking the time to reply.