Chaosium Monographs
Author

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:50 pm 

I was a bit disappointed initially with the first few I got.  But the newer ones look really good.  Is anyone getting these?

By upping the quality - even if it means upping the price a bit, does seem to me to the best way to go.

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:51 pm 

Oh, their catalogue seems a bit wonky at the moment - but here is the latest link for such (hope it works).

http://catalog.chaosium.com/index.php?c ... 9578cb4e30

Let's go fly a kite

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:45 pm 

I haven't gotten any yet, but there are a few on there I've been meaning to pick up.

Hrm...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:38 pm 

I have the Hawkmoon monograph.

Anyone interested in collecting new copies of some of Chaosium's Stormbringer/Elric line needs to get over there now and snap the remaining books up at $5 each.

Chaosium has apparently officially given up on their license with Moorcock, which has been taken over by another company.

Too bad...some of the other Stormbringer monographs looked good.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:50 pm 

I note the core rules haven't been marked down though.  Which is fine, as I already have a copy, but I could have used one in better condition. :D

Now if only their damned checkout system would work... :evil:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:59 pm 

Thanks for the tip, Mark!  
I've been a Stormbringer fan since 1981 -- in terms of sheer wild fun there was nothing at the time that could match its Grievous Injury Table and the mechanics for Demon Summoning !  8)  After the 1st edition they tamped down some of the crazy unbalanced St Andre play and I became less enchanted with it.  

I've been on the fence for some time now about buying the supplements for Stormbringer 5; but for $5 each you can't go far wrong.

I don't know whether the Mongoose version of Elric will be an improvement or not, but judging from what they did to Runequest, no doubt the core rules will be spread over four $25 hardcovers.   I just bought 4 Chaosium supplements for the price of one of those and still have change for the train. :wink:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:26 am 

If you don't get a reply on your catalog purchase, email Fergie and let him know.

Chaosium's system has a ghost in it somewhere, but Fergie generally comes through.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:29 am 

stumbling tiger wrote:Thanks for the tip, Mark!  
I've been a Stormbringer fan since 1981 -- in terms of sheer wild fun there was nothing at the time that could match its Grievous Injury Table and the mechanics for Demon Summoning !  8)  After the 1st edition they tamped down some of the crazy unbalanced St Andre play and I became less enchanted with it.  

I've been on the fence for some time now about buying the supplements for Stormbringer 5; but for $5 each you can't go far wrong.

I don't know whether the Mongoose version of Elric will be an improvement or not, but judging from what they did to Runequest, no doubt the core rules will be spread over four $25 hardcovers.   I just bought 4 Chaosium supplements for the price of one of those and still have change for the train. :wink:

Glad I could help!  :wink:

The Sorcerers of Pan Tang book is particularly good, since it includes a fantasy city and wonderfully horrible details about the Pan Tangians.  There is an adventure included that you could never get D&D players to complete, but it is interesting nonetheless.

Also...for the completist...if you join the Yahoo Elric group you can download the manuscript fragments for a couple of Chaosium Elric Atlas of the Young Kingdoms project publications that got started but never got finished.  Large files and pretty interesting.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:22 pm 

FormCritic wrote:If you don't get a reply on your catalog purchase, email Fergie and let him know.

Chaosium's system has a ghost in it somewhere, but Fergie generally comes through.

I sent a note in last night when I posted my comment, and Dustin got back to me this morning when they fixed the problem.

Thanks for the tip as well, Mark.  I probably would have missed the price cut otherwise.  :thumleft:

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:45 pm 

As a side note: who's got the Moorcock licence now?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:16 pm 

I believe it is Mongoose, as Stumbling Tiger has mentioned.

I know they have a Hawkmoon game out right now...supposedly based off the Runequest framework.

For me, Moorcock game materials are interesting for the background and the artwork.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:17 pm 

FormCritic wrote:I believe it is Mongoose, as Stumbling Tiger has mentioned.

Well, it would appear that I'm really attentive today. :lol:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:18 pm 

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Here is an Ebay Buy-It-Now example.....

There are several Moorcock items on the Mongoose web page:

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/

Stumbling Tiger was right about the format and the cover price.

Mark  8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:14 pm 

FormCritic wrote:
Also...for the completist...if you join the Yahoo Elric group you can download the manuscript fragments for a couple of Chaosium Elric Atlas of the Young Kingdoms project publications that got started but never got finished.  Large files and pretty interesting.

Cool stuff!  Thanks again, Mark.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:21 pm 

FormCritic wrote:I know they have a Hawkmoon game out right now...supposedly based off the Runequest framework.

Off-topic: I didn't buy the book, but I did flip through it recently.  My eyes may not have seen it properly, but I could swear that one of the occurrences of Roleplaying is spelled Roleplating.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:38 pm 

Just over a year ago I set out to be an expert on the Stormbringer line from Chaosium.  Then I discovered that there already were experts around.

I guess I found out some things, though.

Part of my research was a feverish collection of the entire Chaosium line...but I did not get Old Hrolmar or Cults of Law, the two other monographs.

It strikes me that the Chaosium monographs are something that people might want to be buying, if possible.  They seem to me to be future collectible rares.

Mark  8)

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:32 pm 

They are all small print runs - some as low as 200(ish).  But the quality seems pretty variable.  From Cthulhu, some of the scenarios seem good. But some of the other monographs are just collections of odd stuff.

Let's go fly a kite

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:51 pm 

red_bus wrote:They are all small print runs - some as low as 200(ish).  But the quality seems pretty variable.  From Cthulhu, some of the scenarios seem good. But some of the other monographs are just collections of odd stuff.

which ones would you recommend?

i wouldnt mind getting a few to read.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Next