The Book of Artifacts - Dragon Tree Press
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:51 pm 

I need a couple questions answered because I'm concerned. I have recently been given a copy of TBoA as a gift but its hole-punched (for a binder) and the cover is a weird bright yellow-green. The inside has references to Tolkien properties (like the One Ring and Gollum) and it says its a second printing. How can I tell if this is a legitimate item?

I looked at NKG for a quick reference and there it says it has 32 pages. Mine has 33 numbered pages, so I'm seeing a discrepancy, which is one more reason I'm unsure about this.

Thanks.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:09 pm 

It sounds legit to me.  bright neon colour, and 3 hole punched was how some of them came.  I'd have to dig out my copy to check the number of pages but as with their other items, there were several printings and a couple of different editions.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:55 am 

serleran wrote:I need a couple questions answered because I'm concerned. I have recently been given a copy of TBoA as a gift but its hole-punched (for a binder) and the cover is a weird bright yellow-green. The inside has references to Tolkien properties (like the One Ring and Gollum) and it says its a second printing. How can I tell if this is a legitimate item?

I looked at NKG for a quick reference and there it says it has 32 pages. Mine has 33 numbered pages, so I'm seeing a discrepancy, which is one more reason I'm unsure about this.

Thanks.

I have PM'd you the email address of Ben and Mary Ezzell.  

They are Dragon Tree Press.

Let us know what you find out...?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:21 pm 

I emailed Mary at DTP and I got this response:

That sounds like one of our editions, and I've never heard of any
forgeries circulating.

She then offered to examine it should I want to send it. Very respectable.

So, it would seem I have a valid/authentic copy, in very good shape (probably the step below Near Mint, actually.) Yay!

Thanks for the assistance.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:41 pm 

serleran wrote:She then offered to examine it should I want to send it. Very respectable.

If you are really concerned about getting it officially validated, I suppose you could send it.  The book however is fairly common.  Hamilcar has sold dozens of them over the last few years and their Ebay value is probably around $10 - 15.  On a slow day they sell for under $5.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:36 pm 

I'm not that concerned, but I did want to make sure it was a legit copy, seeing as it was a gift from my fiancée and she felt bad when she discovered that it wasn't exactly what she was led to believe (due to the variation from her research into it; she bought the thing based on being told what it was, without having seen it.) I could care less what its worth is. I'm not into collecting, really, for money. That is pretty much the opposite of what I care about.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:41 pm 

serleran wrote:I'm not that concerned, but I did want to make sure it was a legit copy, seeing as it was a gift from my fiancée and she felt bad when she discovered that it wasn't exactly what she was led to believe (due to the variation from her research into it; she bought the thing based on being told what it was, without having seen it.) I could care less what its worth is. I'm not into collecting, really, for money. That is pretty much the opposite of what I care about.

Hopefully, you care more about the lady than the paper.  :D

Hang on to that one!   :wink:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:03 pm 

FormCritic wrote:Hang on to that one!

Exactly, I wish I had someone who would bring home 3rd party D&D stuff too :)