TLG Update
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:16 pm 

Just in case you were curious, or hadn't heard, Troll Lord Games has made some massive updates of their website, in the product department, which I am pleased to admit I am somewhat involved with (three of the new products are related to me; hopefully one of them a collectible). Anyway, the site is: here and I am sorry if this is considered spam, as my intent was only to be informative, and hopefully sell a few hundred more copies of my stuff. ;)

Ask any questions if you have 'em.

So, go and get! Now!

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:47 am 

I like Troll Lord Games, but another Zagyg world publication was exactly what we didn't ask for.

We asked for Castle Zagyg.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:20 am 

Maybe you missed this which is all about Castle Zagyg. Seems I was wrong in my estimate of two box sets. The update mentions (at least) three.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:32 am 

FormCritic wrote:I like Troll Lord Games, but another Zagyg world publication was exactly what we didn't ask for.

We asked for Castle Zagyg.

I'll believe it when/if I am holding it in my hands.....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:45 pm 

If you wanted to check out Castles & Crusades, they have the Basic Rules up as a free PDF now too.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:17 am 

serleran wrote:Maybe you missed this which is all about Castle Zagyg. Seems I was wrong in my estimate of two box sets. The update mentions (at least) three.

If you follow the link you'll see that it is not out yet.  The release date is TBA.

So, Troll Lord Games has Gygax write up a section of the game world while missing the ultimate deadline in not having Castle Zagyg ready for GenCon.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:43 am 

FormCritic wrote:
If you follow the link you'll see that it is not out yet.  The release date is TBA.

So, Troll Lord Games has Gygax write up a section of the game world while missing the ultimate deadline in not having Castle Zagyg ready for GenCon.

You missed this: "IMPORTANT NOTE: Much of the information in the Gazetteer has already appeared in the Castle Zagyg Vol. 1: Yggsburgh, it has been condensed in order to allow you to access pertinent setting information much faster. The module Mouths of Madness is part of the Upper Works and is all new."

So its something to get out for GenCon thats not really to much new, so its not Gygax spending time writing up anything new save for the modules which: "This is a special, modified version of the first adventure included in the forthcoming-boxed set, Castle Zagyg Volume II, The Upperworks, soon to be published by Troll Lord Games" is going to be in the box set anyway. If they can't get the CZ done in time, they atleast got this put together.

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:00 am 

I'll at least check it out at GenCon.  I'm more interested in serleran's Dungeon Engineering book than the CZ preview, at the moment :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:49 pm 

I bought the C&C collector's edition prior to going on vacation and read it while I've been away.

It basically is the old D&D game and I mean that as a compliment.

The game mechanics are straightforward, including an armor class/combat simplification, an attribute check (CB/CL) system, and a little more strength given to lower level magic-using (wizards, clerics) characters.

The list of spells could be improved upon (and perhaps it is in the full version ... the collector's edition appears to be watered-down) and the selection of monsters is basically straight out of OD&D M&T and Greyhawk.

All in all, I like their game system.  It appeals to me because I'd like to introduce the kids to a playable and fun RPG in the next couple of years and from what I've read so far, it seems like C&C may fit the bill.

The collector's edition contained a module called The Rising Knight, which I have mixed emotions about.  I think it would work as an introductory adventure, although I've never cared for the plot device of human sacrifice (or the potential thereof), which is integral to the scenario.  The module could also use some terrain maps.  The NPCs were diverse and have good potential, however.  

If I understand it correctly, the actual Players Handbook and Monsters & Treasure hardbound books offer more detail than the collector's set, so I'm looking forward to reading those.

Here's hoping Castle Zagyg can live up to expectations.

So far, for me, C&C is what I've been looking for.

Keith

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:03 pm 

Plaag wrote:If you wanted to check out Castles & Crusades, they have the Basic Rules up as a free PDF now too.

ShaneG.

I tried the PDF link on the TLG website, but all I found was a list of retailers.  (They need a retailer in Huntsville, AL)

Do you have a link?

Thanks,
Keith

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:09 pm 

Quick Start

Should work. Let me know if it does not, and I'll let the Chenaults know.

Oh, and, yes, there is considerable difference (options-wise, not mechanically; that is, the rules don't change, you just get more "basic stuff" to use) between the Collector's Set and the hardbacks. For example, there are 13 classes in the PHB, and something like 220 monsters (I forget the exact count despite being responsible for them) in M&T.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:30 am 

serleran wrote:Should work. Let me know if it does not, and I'll let the Chenaults know.

Oh, and, yes, there is considerable difference (options-wise, not mechanically; that is, the rules don't change, you just get more "basic stuff" to use) between the Collector's Set and the hardbacks. For example, there are 13 classes in the PHB, and something like 220 monsters (I forget the exact count despite being responsible for them) in M&T.

The download worked.

Plus, that's good to know about character classes and monsters (especially monsters).

Thanks,
Keith

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:48 pm 

Can anyone enlighten us on how TLG and C&C are doing marketing-wise?

It's a long, uphill struggle against a behemoth like WoTC.

It would be awesome to have this new (read: old) game system catch on.

Thanks,
Keith

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:34 pm 

There was a fairly recent game sales report that mentioned TLG and C&C as being in the top ten selling games, gathered from evidence reported by comic/hobby retailers, which I am prone to believe, seeing as the PHB has gone to its third print in about 2 years. I can't give exact counts (because I don't know them), but I guess the first run was about 5000, the second the same, and the third, hopefully, about 7500, due to demand. Not bad given the statements other game companies have made saying 5000 is the maximum and it usually takes 2-3 years to sell out of it, and that doesn't justify a second print. I've also been told that the PHB has outsold (number-wise) OD&D when it was first printed, compared to number printed to number sold, in the same timeframe (but, nothing compares, I assume, to AD&D...) So, all in all, it would appear C&C has a strong base, and is growing, as the vast majority of those buying/playing aren't members of the forums (either DF or the TLG ones.)

But, yes, its a piddling compared to the WotC machine. Owning the name D&D doesn't hurt them. :) Then again, I think every non-WotC company has far fewer sales... though they probably do well enough to survive (like SJG or Chaosium.)

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:14 am 

James Mishler would know a bit on this as he tracks this stuff for various magazines.
Even their Monster book is now in a 2nd print, and that could help to gauge how many DMs are running. (Not an exact science though :wink: )

ShaneG.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:36 am 

serleran wrote:So, all in all, it would appear C&C has a strong base, and is growing, as the vast majority of those buying/playing aren't members of the forums (either DF or the TLG ones.)

This point is quite encouraging.  This could mean that C&C is spreading by word of mouth, just as AD&D/OD&D did back in the late 70s.

Even their Monster book is now in a 2nd print, and that could help to gauge how many DMs are running. (Not an exact science though  )

True, not an exact science, but still a good omen.  Print runs are hard to sell out.

Thanks for the feedback.

Keith

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:39 am 

Plaag wrote:
You missed this: "IMPORTANT NOTE: Much of the information in the Gazetteer has already appeared in the Castle Zagyg Vol. 1: Yggsburgh, it has been condensed in order to allow you to access pertinent setting information much faster. The module Mouths of Madness is part of the Upper Works and is all new."

So its something to get out for GenCon thats not really to much new, so its not Gygax spending time writing up anything new save for the modules which: "This is a special, modified version of the first adventure included in the forthcoming-boxed set, Castle Zagyg Volume II, The Upperworks, soon to be published by Troll Lord Games" is going to be in the box set anyway. If they can't get the CZ done in time, they atleast got this put together.

ShaneG.

I'm a little confused how to start collecting Castle Zagyg material.

Based on the products available on this webpage: http://www.trolllord.com/newsite/zagyg/
Yggsburg seems to be the only one available, but I'm not really interested in a town/wilderness campaign setting.

So I guess I have two questions:

1. Does Yggsburg contain part of Castle Zagyg?

2. If not, can I skip Yggsburg and go directly to Upper Works (once it's available)?

Thanks,
Keith

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:34 pm 

http://www.trolllord.com/newsite/zagyg/8060.html
Is an adventure for the Yggsburgh setting.

Can't recall off hand how much about the Castle is in the Yggsburgh book, don't think it is any more then any other gazetteer/setting blurb.

ShaneG.

Next