recommendations for miniatures carrying case?
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:15 pm 

Hi folks---

I'm interested in your collective thoughts on good minis carrying cases: I'm going to start DMing again in the Fall/Winter-ish, and we use minis when we play, so I need some sort of carrying case to bring my Grenadier, Heritage, etc. lead to and from our sessions.

What's out there on the market, what's good and what's not, what's a good price, what features should I look for in such a carrying case, etc.?

Thanks!

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:58 pm 

I have had the best success with transporting large numbers of miniatures with a sort of low price and low tech solution.

I get the foam padding that is used inside mattresses or as mattress pads....that stuff that looks like egg crate material (about 1"- 2" thick, usually) flat on one side and spikey on the other.

I get a cardboard box that has ends that close by tabs that fold into the sides...very secure.  

I cut the mattress padding into two sheets that fit the box.  The miniatures go between the two spikey sides...pressed down and held securely.

I have never had damage from this low-price solution and I have never had boxes pop open or things like that (particularly if secured with tape for longer shipment).  I have used these boxes to take miniatures with me on a long flight to GenCon.  Everything worked well.

Also, the cardboard boxes are not as obvious targets to thieves as the offical, swanky plastic cases.

(Did I spell "mattress" right?  It looks wrong.)

Mark  8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:07 pm 

If you're transporting LOTS of miniatures, Crystal Case has a "BattleHive" case that you can actually roll along on wheels. That's what I use, and I love it!!! Lots of padding, and even room for RULEBOOKS and other neat stuff. It looks like a luggage case...

If not, I've used Chessex cases, which you can get for about 25-30 bucks and carry as many as 30 miniatures at a time.

Those are the best solutions I've come up with.

:)

Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:03 am 

I use these and they work well. Get some of the thick foam for bigger units (like the nifty Otherworld Demon Idol figurine) and the thin stuff for little guys, and it can hold quite a lot. I have about 200 minis in one of mine, and those little flaps work well for putting in blister packs or dice and the like. I don't use mine often, though, only when I wan tto take my Warhammer Quest stuff somewhere to play.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:17 am 

For metal gaming painted figs I just use either an Army Transport case (see previous post) or a standard Games workshop plastic mini case.  Both work well depending on what volume you have.  

For the plastic crap minis wizards pumps out i put them all gently into a big heap and sweep them into an old grubby carboard box.  Works good.  When I need them I dump the box on th table and sift through the mess :lol:

Painted masterpieces all get a custom box cut from fresh foam and place in a sturdy custom box with a stiff lid.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:46 am 

I used the Army Transport too, until one of my kids stepped on the case while horsing around.

Needless to say, after replacing and repairing several hundred dollars worth of Warhammer miniatures, I had to find something better.

Enter Battlehive - no more smashed miniatures!

www.crystalcaste.com

Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:49 am 

Center_Stage_Hobbies wrote:I used the Army Transport too, until one of my kids stepped on the case while horsing around.

Needless to say, after replacing and repairing several hundred dollars worth of Warhammer miniatures, I had to find something better.

Enter Battlehive - no more smashed miniatures!

[ Image ]

www.crystalcaste.com

Very nice, I think I will get one as well.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:25 am 

Heh, one thing that makes me glad I have no kids, and I keep the minis locked up, and about 6 feet off the ground. I can't afford to get those things and keep my habit of RPG collecting going.

I've seen those big metal-like cases... are they heavy?

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:36 am 

FormCritic wrote:Also, the cardboard boxes are not as obvious targets to thieves as the offical, swanky plastic cases.

I didn't know there was a black market for these sorts of treasures. ;)

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:10 am 

scribe wrote:I didn't know there was a black market for these sorts of treasures. ;)

Unfortunately, stuff disappears at GenCon every year:  not all attendees are honest gamers, or necessarily gamers at all....

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/