Survey Says... (Worst Game System?)
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:48 pm 

I found a copy of World of Synnibarr today, so I had to bump this thread. Funny stuff.

Anyone have anything to add after nearly six years???

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:42 am 

Badmike wrote:Anyone have anything to add after nearly six years???

Only that the thread is a good example of nostalgia's effects. In 2007 & before, everyone was still talking about how horrible 3e was.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:01 am 

No kidding...4e turned out to be 10x worse.

Mike b

NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:40 am 

I think the sillest rpg book I have come across is Robotech:  Lancer's Rockers.  The weapons are the musical instruments of a band.  I understand Palladium had this available as a free download, but not sure if that is still true.  Through the pig-in-a-poke method of buying rpg lots, I am the proud owner of two copies.  And although I have had one listed for sale for a while, am very much afraid that status will remain unchanged.

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:41 am 

Well World of Synnibarr,   I just had to buy it because I had never looked through a copy before.  It's everything they say, and more, much much more.

Still would go with original Top Secret as one of the most unnecessarily complicated games ever, but it's not a bad game per se. And, having finally seen KABAL in the last few years, it should be on the list. Also Powers and Perils.

http://wiki.rpg.net/index.php/Worst_RPGs_ever

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:59 pm 

F.A.T.A.L. is the correct answer.

Despite anyone's dislike of a particular system mentioned in this thread (d20, Harnmaster, Synnibar, etc.), we'd have to admit that there is some population of players who are using the system and enjoying it.  Nobody is playing F.A.T.A.L., and if they are, I DON'T WANT TO KNOW THEM!

Forget unplayable, I challenge anyone to even read the whole thing.  Other than the two guys who wrote the legendary review over at rpg.net, and I suppose the author, I doubt anyone actually has read the whole thing.  Despite valiant efforts to bring humor into how repulsed and offended they were through the entire process, even the review is likely to offend, because it necessarily has to discuss what's in this misogynistic, evil, puerile, "game."

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:33 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Still would go with original Top Secret as one of the most unnecessarily complicated games ever, but it's not a bad game per se.

Mike B.

Them's fighting words! Top Secret is my second favorite RPG of all time (behind D&D). PDT_Armataz_01_27

:lol:  :lol:

Hector.

Habent sua fata libelli 8)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:44 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Still would go with original Top Secret ....

Mike B.

Looks like I need to do some ass-whuppin' when I get to Texas in June. Blasphemer shall pay!

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:39 pm 

Top secret is a great game and we played it quite a bit. But the number crunching required all players to have a calculator at hand and gun battles slowed to a crawl...making the most exciting part of the game into doing math problems. Some of the same complaints about 3e as I recall  :D

Mike B

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:50 am 

Badmike wrote:Top secret is a great game and we played it quite a bit. But the number crunching required all players to have a calculator at hand and gun battles slowed to a crawl...making the most exciting part of the game into doing math problems. Some of the same complaints about 3e as I recall  :D

Mike B

The blasphemer now compares Top Secret to TETSNBN!!!!! 8O   I am now scheduling an earlier flight :D

(regardless of the fact that he speaks the truth that TS is very "math" heavy. Still, a blasphemy is a blasphemy.)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:56 am 

bbarsh wrote:
Badmike wrote:Top secret is a great game and we played it quite a bit. But the number crunching required all players to have a calculator at hand and gun battles slowed to a crawl...making the most exciting part of the game into doing math problems. Some of the same complaints about 3e as I recall  :D

Mike B

The blasphemer now compares Top Secret to TETSNBN!!!!! 8O   I am now scheduling an earlier flight :D

(regardless of the fact that he speaks the truth that TS is very "math" heavy. Still, a blasphemy is a blasphemy.)

What's funny is we played the heck out of TS 30+ years ago and I don't remember the math being that big of a deal.  Apparently bad memories fade with the passage of much time or the Administrator did a lot of hand waving of combat  :wink:

Politician, Tree, Rope...Some Assembly Required

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:47 am 

The 2nd edition of Top Secret was really quite a good system, it moved fast and covered about everything you could do without bogging down at all. Unfortunately the adventures and sourcebooks were not very good.  The solution was to convert stuff like Orient Express and Rapidstrike to 2E TS and play them, which we did, and it worked well.  I've always thought the 2E TS rules are really under-rated, easy to learn and they move the game along pretty good.

Back to Worst Game System, did anyone here ever try to play Powers and Perils?  I don't have a copy anymore but I distinctly remember saying "WTF?" several times while reading through the boxed set.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:42 am 

Badmike wrote:The 2nd edition of Top Secret was really quite a good system...

Mike B.

This horror will not end! Time to summon the Jun Horde and head to Texas! The Blasphemer must be stopped!

Now, if you want to throw Top Secret S/I on the heap of crap games, I am in. It's like Sean Connery James Bond vs. Pierce Brosnan James Bond.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:17 pm 

bbarsh wrote:

Mike B.

This horror will not end! Time to summon the Jun Horde and head to Texas! The Blasphemer must be stopped!.

Let me dig up my PPK and I'll join you!!  :D

Hector.

Habent sua fata libelli 8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:31 am 

Mike B

Mike (and Bill), I agree that TS was good but the math did slow the game down.  That being said, I also like ICE MERP, aka Rolemaster aka Chartmaster.  Combat crawls with the percentile math and chart searches by weapon type, etc.  Love the game, dislike the long pauses.

-Throwi

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:52 am 

bbarsh wrote:

Mike B.

This horror will not end! Time to summon the Jun Horde and head to Texas! The Blasphemer must be stopped!

Now, if you want to throw Top Secret S/I on the heap of crap games, I am in. It's like Sean Connery James Bond vs. Pierce Brosnan James Bond.

Maybe I'll run a 2E Top Secret/SI game to run at the con. You can run a 1E game, I'll finish the mission and you'll still be rolling up gun stats..... :P

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:24 pm 

Badmike wrote:
bbarsh wrote:

Maybe I'll run a 2E Top Secret/SI game to run at the con. You can run a 1E game, I'll finish the mission and you'll still be rolling up gun stats..... :P

Mike B.

Oh, It's on! You run your SI and I will run 1e. While our group is having ours shaken (not stirred) and having a blast, your group will be wondering how they get back the last few hours of their lives they just dumped down the crapper. :lol:

Back to a more serious note. I do have to admit that I do like more mathematical complex games: Champions (first couple editions), Star Fleet Battles, et al. And Top Secret does require a bit of work, but it is all worth it. Besides, how hard can it be if a bunch of teen agers figured it out?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:00 am 

bbarsh wrote:
Badmike wrote:

Mike B.

Oh, It's on! You run your SI and I will run 1e. While our group is having ours shaken (not stirred) and having a blast, your group will be wondering how they get back the last few hours of their lives they just dumped down the crapper. :lol:

Back to a more serious note. I do have to admit that I do like more mathematical complex games: Champions (first couple editions), Star Fleet Battles, et al. And Top Secret does require a bit of work, but it is all worth it. Besides, how hard can it be if a bunch of teen agers figured it out?

yeh Champions is another...we started out with Villains and Vigilantes, which has some math but not to the extent of Champions.  When we tried Champions, it just took too long, we soon went back to V&V.  I'd still rather play V&V to this day.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

PreviousNext