Survey Says... (Worst Game System?)
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:28 pm 

Not a bad system necessarily, but I nominate Monkey God Enterprises for some of the most unfortunate & awkward titles ever published...

Ruins of Rackfall... Hero Snare... Broken Magic... Song of Storms... Race to the Yellow Lotus.... Maze of Screaming Silence...  Jade Magi Sewer Crawl (!)... and sadly, The Magic Dump.

Good grief  :roll:

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:41 pm 

The Magic Dump, text header from the back cover:  Bring Me Her Carcass!

Attachment:
magicdump.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:01 pm 

I had one of those yesterday, thanks to my wife's attempts at tacos. Fortunately, I have a +3 Plunger of Plunging, so it all worked out.
I did briefly look at the Powers and Perils before I sold it. It seemed complicated.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:22 pm 

Zenopus wrote in Survey Says... (Worst Game System?):Has everyone seen this hilarious review of CYBORG COMMANDO?

Review of Cyborg Commando - RPGnet

"On its third dice-rolling table?" The tables in question aren't actually part of the rules, but are part of a three page section of the rulebook, which includes three tables and five graphs, showing the reader how the d10x system is the best possible dice system for a game. This tone is symptomatic of the rules. At several times the reader is lectured on how they should use the metric system in play, rather than the "archaic and unwieldy English [sic] system". The rules, of course, go on to tell you that the standard units of measurement can be either miles or kilometres; they are, apparently so similar as to be interchangeable. Rather than using a single system of measurements, the rules lecturer the reader on what they should be using, but provide poorly matching approximates in both systems and end the GMs book with a useful reference table of weights and measures, including conversion equations of troy grains to troy ounces because we're apparently playing the game of cyborg f***ing jewellers or something.

For a game with such attention to detail, character creation is remarkably simple. The player selects their character's stats and skills and then apply the modifiers imposed by the cybernetic body. There are games which elegant in their simple execution. This is one of the other games.

Fundamentally, the problem with the Cyborg Commando game is the idea that playing cyborgs shooting lasers out of their fingers, in a world overwhelmed by aliens, was in some way cool. The writers were sadly mistaken in this. The background seems ridiculously silly and contrived. The alien race has invaded earth "just because" and is virtually undefeatable despite the fact that the book points of there being only one alien for every 11,600 humans. The aliens may be tough, but, at those odds, it is hard to believe that the various world militaries shouldn't be able to defeat them.

Apologies to Gygax, Mentzer and Mohan for posting this...

I played the game the first year it came out at GenCon.  Luke Gygax was the gm - and despite it being pretty silly, I had fun playing it. Just goes to show that a good gm can make even bad games good!

Previous