Survey Says... (Worst Game System?)
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:11 am 

I'm curious; I know people here obviously like one of the OD&D/D&D/AD&D systems (or they wouldn't be here), but I'm wondering what the absolute worst system they've tried was.

Maybe the rules were great, but the setting was derivative, showed a lack of imagination, or was just plain terrible.
On the other hand, maybe the rules just plain sucked and not even a great setting could save it.

My personal vote is for Paranoia, Fifth Edition.  Horribly edited -- parts of the text were direct, unedited copies from the 2nd ed. books (including page numbers), written by someone who didn't quite get the setting.  An "un-product", indeed.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:09 pm 

1st edition, Chivalry and Sorcery magic system.  Basically, "sit at home and play with alchemical test tubes and herbs".

On a related note.  BEST combat system by a good mile is the Rolemaster system.  Terrifying and dramatic in equal measure.  Acaeum member Obiter runs a campaign with D&D magic and Rolemaster combat.  Great stuff.  :D

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:37 pm 

The worst system I tried was Dragonraid.  The thing I remember about Dragonraid that made it so bad was that it limited free choice.  However, the background was actually quite interesting.

The worst system I ever owned?  The World of Synnibar.  The only reason I owned it at all was simply to say I owned the worst role playing game ever made. :)

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:59 pm 

Traveller wrote:The worst system I ever owned?  The World of Synnibar.  The only reason I owned it at all was simply to say I owned the worst role playing game ever made. :)

This Synnibarr system was discussed back in April, but the review was too good not to repost!  :lol:

http://www.rpg.net/news+reviews/reviews/rev_4762.html

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:25 pm 

Traveller wrote:The worst system I ever owned?  The World of Synnibar.  The only reason I owned it at all was simply to say I owned the worst role playing game ever made. :)

Bah!  Piffle.  :)

Cynnibun is a fun read just because it's SO over the top.  2nd Edition has a Ninja God who plays in a metal band, for goodness sake.  And let's not forget flying bears that shoot eye lasers.  It's not a setting for those who seek moderation.  It's a mess, but an amusing mess.  

I'll see your Synnibar and raise you The Spawn of Fashan.  It's every bit as bad as the RPG.net review makes it out to be.

I own quite a few bad RPGs.  Somebody's gotta keep 'em out of circulation!  :)

-Thornhammer

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:28 pm 

I'll take that wager, and cap the board at F.A.T.A.L.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:18 pm 

i agree that spawn of fashan is probably the worst system i`ve looked at. it is howlingly bad. i`ve never played it though (i`m not sure you could...). i further agree with red bus that rolemaster combat system is the best. my gm/best man and i started a campaign in 1982 in ad&d. i was playing a half-elven ranger/magic-user with psionics ! (the only character i ever played with them). we eventually switched over to using arms law but kept using all else from ad&d until my character turned 7th level and i was about to get the psionic power of energy control. the gm called me up & said he thought we should completely switch over to rolemaster. i asked him if it had anything to do with energy control.... (by the way the campaign is still going although we only play now about 6 times a year).

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:54 pm 

Traveller the New Era. Simply awful.

Harnmaster. Great campaign world, absolutely lousy combat system.

Honourable mentions go to Torg and Dream Park. *shudder*

Steve

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:16 am 

I'm curious as to what you hated so much about Traveller: The New Era.

My experience with Traveller is limited to the classic books and the GURPS books, so beyond a brief summary of the setting and the knowledge that it changed the system to bring it in line with GDW's new house rules, I know next to nothing about it.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:32 am 

I found the character-oriented stuff in the game to be fine and easy enough to grasp. Anything to do with star system/planetary design, personal combat, and starship combat was far more complicated--needlessly so. *zoom* right over my head. Rolemaster was a frickin' breeze compared to this game.  :lol:

Steve

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:35 am 

prismatic_dm wrote:Harnmaster. Great campaign world, absolutely lousy combat system.

Steve

What don't you like about it (outside of the fact that in a battle with a group of 8 players I was in vs 13 Garguan (orcs) it took over FIVE HOURS to resolve combat... 8O )

A Wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins, nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:41 am 

Thornhammer wrote:
I'll see your Synnibar and raise you The Spawn of Fashan.  It's every bit as bad as the RPG.net review makes it out to be.

I would love to get a copy of this but I have only seen 1 copy for sale...

Brette:)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:13 am 

IttyBitty wrote:
What don't you like about it (outside of the fact that in a battle with a group of 8 players I was in vs 13 Garguan (orcs) it took over FIVE HOURS to resolve combat... 8O )

Yes, that's it, exactly. I found the level of detail astoundingly ... well, game stopping.

*Me to fellow players 16 years ago playing Harnmaster* "Please, please, please, let's not get into a fight this session, OK? I don't care, let the orcs slay the villagers then!" :lol:

Steve

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:11 am 

I've heard of Synnibar, but never actually beheld the glory that is it.  Not without trying, though -- it's in my eBay favourite searches, but a copy that is priced in a range I'd pay for it (not much) never comes up from a seller who's willing to ship internationally. :D

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:19 am 

g026r wrote:I've heard of Synnibar, but never actually beheld the glory that is it.  Not without trying, though -- it's in my eBay favourite searches, but a copy that is priced in a range I'd pay for it (not much) never comes up from a seller who's willing to ship internationally. :D

Have someone from Vancouver, BC, drive over the border into Washington State, buy a copy cheaply, and then ship it to you through Canada's postal system.   :wink:

[Edit:  Synnibar's publisher is in Washington State, as are many Half-Price Books stores.]

Last edited by JohnGaunt on Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:21 am 

serleran wrote:I'll take that wager, and cap the board at F.A.T.A.L.

Is F.A.T.A.L. the RPG with stats for various body parts that can't be mentioned in a family game?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:46 am 

Is F.A.T.A.L. the RPG with stats for various body parts that can't be mentioned in a family game?

Yes. The stats are actually used in the game, too. I mean, they have mechanics, if whomever running wants to use them.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:49 am 

Having searched out and read a review of F.A.T.A.L., I'm getting the feeling that it's the RPG for people who a) actually tried running a game of Violence, and b) thought that it was too tame.

Do/did people actually play this thing?  8O

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:56 am 

How about Senzar?

http://www.rpg.net/news+reviews/reviews/rev_3161.html

Reviewers Quote

"Almost every gamer online seems to have heard of this game, and they've all heard that nothing is comparable in its badness."

Politician, Tree, Rope...Some Assembly Required

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:34 pm 

3E.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Next