Survey Says... (Worst Game System?)
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:11 am 

I'm curious; I know people here obviously like one of the OD&D/D&D/AD&D systems (or they wouldn't be here), but I'm wondering what the absolute worst system they've tried was.

Maybe the rules were great, but the setting was derivative, showed a lack of imagination, or was just plain terrible.
On the other hand, maybe the rules just plain sucked and not even a great setting could save it.

My personal vote is for Paranoia, Fifth Edition.  Horribly edited -- parts of the text were direct, unedited copies from the 2nd ed. books (including page numbers), written by someone who didn't quite get the setting.  An "un-product", indeed.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:09 pm 

1st edition, Chivalry and Sorcery magic system.  Basically, "sit at home and play with alchemical test tubes and herbs".

On a related note.  BEST combat system by a good mile is the Rolemaster system.  Terrifying and dramatic in equal measure.  Acaeum member Obiter runs a campaign with D&D magic and Rolemaster combat.  Great stuff.  :D

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:37 pm 

The worst system I tried was Dragonraid.  The thing I remember about Dragonraid that made it so bad was that it limited free choice.  However, the background was actually quite interesting.

The worst system I ever owned?  The World of Synnibar.  The only reason I owned it at all was simply to say I owned the worst role playing game ever made. :)

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:59 pm 

Traveller wrote:The worst system I ever owned?  The World of Synnibar.  The only reason I owned it at all was simply to say I owned the worst role playing game ever made. :)

This Synnibarr system was discussed back in April, but the review was too good not to repost!  :lol:

http://www.rpg.net/news+reviews/reviews/rev_4762.html

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:25 pm 

Traveller wrote:The worst system I ever owned?  The World of Synnibar.  The only reason I owned it at all was simply to say I owned the worst role playing game ever made. :)

Bah!  Piffle.  :)

Cynnibun is a fun read just because it's SO over the top.  2nd Edition has a Ninja God who plays in a metal band, for goodness sake.  And let's not forget flying bears that shoot eye lasers.  It's not a setting for those who seek moderation.  It's a mess, but an amusing mess.  

I'll see your Synnibar and raise you The Spawn of Fashan.  It's every bit as bad as the RPG.net review makes it out to be.

I own quite a few bad RPGs.  Somebody's gotta keep 'em out of circulation!  :)

-Thornhammer

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:28 pm 

I'll take that wager, and cap the board at F.A.T.A.L.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:18 pm 

i agree that spawn of fashan is probably the worst system i`ve looked at. it is howlingly bad. i`ve never played it though (i`m not sure you could...). i further agree with red bus that rolemaster combat system is the best. my gm/best man and i started a campaign in 1982 in ad&d. i was playing a half-elven ranger/magic-user with psionics ! (the only character i ever played with them). we eventually switched over to using arms law but kept using all else from ad&d until my character turned 7th level and i was about to get the psionic power of energy control. the gm called me up & said he thought we should completely switch over to rolemaster. i asked him if it had anything to do with energy control.... (by the way the campaign is still going although we only play now about 6 times a year).

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:54 pm 

Traveller the New Era. Simply awful.

Harnmaster. Great campaign world, absolutely lousy combat system.

Honourable mentions go to Torg and Dream Park. *shudder*

Steve

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:16 am 

I'm curious as to what you hated so much about Traveller: The New Era.

My experience with Traveller is limited to the classic books and the GURPS books, so beyond a brief summary of the setting and the knowledge that it changed the system to bring it in line with GDW's new house rules, I know next to nothing about it.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:32 am 

I found the character-oriented stuff in the game to be fine and easy enough to grasp. Anything to do with star system/planetary design, personal combat, and starship combat was far more complicated--needlessly so. *zoom* right over my head. Rolemaster was a frickin' breeze compared to this game.  :lol:

Steve

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:35 am 

prismatic_dm wrote:Harnmaster. Great campaign world, absolutely lousy combat system.

Steve

What don't you like about it (outside of the fact that in a battle with a group of 8 players I was in vs 13 Garguan (orcs) it took over FIVE HOURS to resolve combat... 8O )

A Wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins, nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:41 am 

Thornhammer wrote:
I'll see your Synnibar and raise you The Spawn of Fashan.  It's every bit as bad as the RPG.net review makes it out to be.

I would love to get a copy of this but I have only seen 1 copy for sale...

Brette:)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:13 am 

IttyBitty wrote:
What don't you like about it (outside of the fact that in a battle with a group of 8 players I was in vs 13 Garguan (orcs) it took over FIVE HOURS to resolve combat... 8O )

Yes, that's it, exactly. I found the level of detail astoundingly ... well, game stopping.

*Me to fellow players 16 years ago playing Harnmaster* "Please, please, please, let's not get into a fight this session, OK? I don't care, let the orcs slay the villagers then!" :lol:

Steve

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:11 am 

I've heard of Synnibar, but never actually beheld the glory that is it.  Not without trying, though -- it's in my eBay favourite searches, but a copy that is priced in a range I'd pay for it (not much) never comes up from a seller who's willing to ship internationally. :D

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:19 am 

g026r wrote:I've heard of Synnibar, but never actually beheld the glory that is it.  Not without trying, though -- it's in my eBay favourite searches, but a copy that is priced in a range I'd pay for it (not much) never comes up from a seller who's willing to ship internationally. :D

Have someone from Vancouver, BC, drive over the border into Washington State, buy a copy cheaply, and then ship it to you through Canada's postal system.   :wink:

[Edit:  Synnibar's publisher is in Washington State, as are many Half-Price Books stores.]

Last edited by JohnGaunt on Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:21 am 

serleran wrote:I'll take that wager, and cap the board at F.A.T.A.L.

Is F.A.T.A.L. the RPG with stats for various body parts that can't be mentioned in a family game?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:46 am 

Is F.A.T.A.L. the RPG with stats for various body parts that can't be mentioned in a family game?

Yes. The stats are actually used in the game, too. I mean, they have mechanics, if whomever running wants to use them.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:49 am 

Having searched out and read a review of F.A.T.A.L., I'm getting the feeling that it's the RPG for people who a) actually tried running a game of Violence, and b) thought that it was too tame.

Do/did people actually play this thing?  8O

Next