Hall of the Mountain King
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:52 pm 

The primary problems would seem to be the size (each map is the size of a large architectural blueprint) and quantity (many many maps).

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:06 pm 

I'm in too.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:09 pm 

ExTSR wrote:The primary problems would seem to be the size (each map is the size of a large architectural blueprint).

Is it very problematic, technically, to print this kind of maps?

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:32 pm 

It was VERY problematic back in the early '80s, when we had to decline the opportunity.

Nowadays I don't see any major problems. But they have to be rolled or folded, and so many maps comprise a rather heavy package.

The biggest Plus is that they're compatible with 25mm figs, and can be used with most current D&D miniatures.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:00 pm 

ExTSR wrote:It was VERY problematic back in the early '80s, when we had to decline the opportunity.

Nowadays I don't see any major problems. But they have to be rolled or folded, and so many maps comprise a rather heavy package.

The biggest Plus is that they're compatible with 25mm figs, and can be used with most current D&D miniatures.

Yes. Modern large scale photocopiers are very sophisticated.
So they are actually full floorplans? Like Games Workshop/Citadel trued to do with Caverns of the Undead?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Last edited by mbassoc2003 on Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:21 pm 

ExTSR wrote:It was VERY problematic back in the early '80s, when we had to decline the opportunity.

Being a miniature man myself (that didn't sound right), I am interested in this project and would like to buy a copy should it come available.

I agree that making quality copies of larger documents are much easier and cheaper than it was 30 years ago, but I could see where this could still be a relatively pricey product.

Not that I have a say in any of this,  but if you did ask my opinion, I think I'd go with folded maps over rolled maps for a couple of reasons.  The main reason would be that storing the module would be more compact.  The second reason is that it would be a lot easier to show it off on a shelf.  The third reason is that the shipping expense would likely be less because a tube(s) would not have to be purchased.  However, due to the size of this adventure, a box(es) makes sense, and that would add back to the expense of each set.

I'm not trying to cause trouble because this is a can of worms, but if copies do become available, I'd like the publishing person/group to consider making Limited Edition, numbered copies complete with a Certificate of Authenticity.  This is a collecting community after all.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:51 pm 

I'd be in the market for a set.

It sounds like a great adventure, both getting it published and the product itself.

Can't wait to hear more on where this may be headed.

Dwayne

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:13 pm 

So Paul, we await your revelations, our hearts aquiver with
...investment potential.

:lol:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:34 pm 

benjoshua wrote: However, due to the size of this adventure, a box(es) makes sense, and that would add back to the expense of each set.

I'd second the idea of a limited release (with CoA) boxed set with folded maps rather than rolled.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:53 pm 

ExTSR wrote:I, for one, would be interested in acquisition or licensing of the rights, and subsequent production & distribution.

Indeed :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:17 am 

Correct me if I am wrong, Frank, but my assumption is that you would want to make this as a general population product, and not just a "collector's item?"

I'd be so down for that and would volunteer to do conversion work, if needed. I'm fairly proficient at C&C, for example... hehe.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:55 am 

serleran wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, Frank, but my assumption is that you would want to make this as a general population product, and not just a "collector's item?" I'd be so down for that and would volunteer to do conversion work, if needed.

Yeah, sorry to swim against the local tide, but I'd vastly prefer to make it as cost-effective as possible for as many gamers as possible.

But that said, I certainly would consider a "Limited Collectors' Edition" with upgraded components... heavier stock on the maps, deluxe book, whatever.

Don't mean to monopolize this tho; if someone else outbids me for the IP or license, so it goes...

Most of you do know how tenacious I can be in a bidding war.  :lol:

F

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:10 pm 

IMO, the more products that can be got to market targetted at the generic 1E systems players, the stronger the market becomes. I'd be inclined to back a general release product more heavily than a LTD Edition. A floorplan based product could also pull in sales from the 4E players. Sure they could adapt. Presume they don't need to be srved up everything on a plate nowadays?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:07 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:IMO, the more products that can be got to market targetted at the generic 1E systems players, the stronger the market becomes. I'd be inclined to back a general release product more heavily than a LTD Edition. A floorplan based product could also pull in sales from the 4E players. Sure they could adapt. Presume they don't need to be srved up everything on a plate nowadays?

The 4th Edition market is crowded with floorplan publications, both in hardcopy and pdf form.

Paizo is also putting out tons of the same thing for Pathfinder.

Two considerations about Halls of the Mountain King:

1)  Some of the monsters depicted are closed content, reserved for WOTC use.  Permission would have to be obtained.

2)  A 1" x 1" grid system is now standard on floorplan publications.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:33 pm 

FormCritic wrote:Some of the monsters depicted are closed content, reserved for WOTC use.  Permission would have to be obtained.
More than 'some', and the crux of the problem, imho. All else is soluble by other means.

Given the size of the work, a redrawing is not cost-effective.
But otoh, a parallel all-new project? Hmmmm...

Worth thinking about.

And of course the originals would become famed as Hyper-Rare and hideously expensive, heh heh heh

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:36 pm 

One ironic factor, then.....

Halls of the Mountain King would be perfectly mainstream today.  In fact, it wouldn't stand out all that much, except as an ambitious project.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:56 am 

FormCritic wrote:One ironic factor, then.....

Halls of the Mountain King would be perfectly mainstream today.  In fact, it wouldn't stand out all that much, except as an ambitious project.

Yeah, but it would be for an earlier edition, not that "other" one!  :)

Eulaliaaa!!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:49 am 

There must be another portion of Hall of the Mountain King that I don't know about.  It must have game stats.

PreviousNext