Hall of the Mountain King
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 2:55 pm 

Anybody got this one? Dwarven mega-dungeon:

Five large mailing tubes, each with 12 large maps (architect drawing paper) @ 22"x34", pro quality art & production. All maps at 25mm scale, so you just put out your miniatures and go...

Five 24-page booklets for the very sketchy Key (blue, green pink, yellow orange).

(c) J.T. Towson 1983

He planned to produce 1000 copies but I've never seen another ('cept for the one he sent to Gary). We were negotiating for it to be an exclusive RPGA product; I got set #1, Gary got #2. But there were a lot of artwork copyright problems (depictions of very detailed statues for Ankheg, Beholder, and many others, all with pro-quality pen & ink drawings) so TSR legal insisted that TSR would have to own it completely and the author wouldn't give up his rights, so it got nixed after I left RPGA to write boxed rule sets.

Front cover of booklet 1:

Page 1 (of booklet 1 but I think it's the same in all 5):

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 5:25 pm 

Sound like a good item. Give me the heads up if you ever want to sell privately or place it on eBay.
If EGG hasn't still got his, yours may be the last remaining copy. I'm sure we would have seen one in the intervening period if they had ever gone to print.
Any chance of a photo of some of the maps?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:08 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Give me the heads up if you ever want to sell privately or place it on eBay.

NFS but thanx. I really should frame every one of these mapsheets, tho. Everything's mint condition (of course).

Any chance of a photo of some of the maps?

Sure. A friend of mine shot a few bad pix, but that's all I have handy at the moment... All the depicted views are from above; the whole dungeon is drawn that way. And remember that this is all hand-drawn stuff, not CAD or other computer techniques of any sort.

Here is most of ONE of the 60 maps, an area where sculptors are at work. I pulled out a few excerpts from that to show some detail:

Statues and/or stuffed specimens:

Armour, shields, and assorted weaponry (please note the astounding level of detail):

Magic items on a table between two large statues, one seated and one standing:

...and finally, another dragon statue:

I tried real hard to get TSR to publish this. But somebody (not Gary) thought that miniatures gaming was on the way out... :/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:23 pm 

I haven't heard of it either.  It looks really nice!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:44 pm 

Wow.

Just an incredible product.

No wonder the author would not sell all rights...it is literally a work of art.

One consideration must have been cost.  Who could have afforded to buy it?

What was the artist/author's name?  J. T. Towson?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:39 pm 

FormCritic wrote:One consideration must have been cost.

Not too much; high for the time but certainly not unaffordable. I still have the entire file of all correspondence I had with him, and he wanted $16 per section (12 maps) or $75 for the whole set (in late 1982).

He printed 250 copies privately; some must be floating around the pacific northwest. (He was in Beaverton, OR.)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:29 pm 

Would be nice to have an original, but surely out of my own price range. I'd be interested in reprints if any were ever made.

Cheers!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:07 am 

ExTSR wrote:
Not too much; high for the time but certainly not unaffordable. I still have the entire file of all correspondence I had with him, and he wanted $16 per section (12 maps) or $75 for the whole set (in late 1982).

He printed 250 copies privately; some must be floating around the pacific northwest. (He was in Beaverton, OR.)

Just a thought, but since the option on this product has obviously expired, what about getting it published TODAY under the "Open Gaming License"? I am sure that some company, like Goodman or others, would be very interested in this material and there is an audience right here that would definitely buy the product.

Please put my name on the list or if you need someone to assist in the development of the product, let me know. If you need to find this person, I am also a licensed PI, so I have access to several databases and could locate an address & phone if necessary.

Thanks,

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:56 am 

ExTSR wrote:He printed 250 copies privately; some must be floating around the pacific northwest. (He was in Beaverton, OR.)

Eagerly, Mark and PM Knight begin The Quest for Towson.  :D

From the images that have been posted, the product looks great (obviously).  Do the other illustrations and text pages live up to the quality shown so far?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:50 am 

JohnGaunt wrote:Do the other illustrations and text pages live up to the quality shown so far?

The text was never really anything to quiver about (tho it's all dot-matrix printing, a relic of the era). All the maps are top quality, but I did pull out some of the flashier graphics, true. But that level of detail -- a real labor of love -- is throughout the work.

The brewery is awesome...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 13, 2007 11:38 am 

JohnGaunt wrote:Eagerly, Mark and PM Knight begin The Quest for Towson.  :D

Here are my findings based on some preliminary searches:

There is only an Elisabeth Towson in Beaverton, OR (age 62) no first initial "J" Towson's.
A national search pulled up several male names with a middle initial "T":
Jacob T. Towson in California (DOB: 11/5/40, but unfortunately he died on 10/25/05)
Jay T. Towson in California (unknown age at this point)
Johnny T. Towson in Georgia (year of birth 1965)

ExTSR, do you have any additional information on this person? Do you know his first name, approximate age at the time (even an age range), and that the person was definitely a "he" and not a "she", as there are more females with a first letter "J" than males?

Thanks in Advance,

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun May 13, 2007 11:51 am 

The name's Frank.

My info from 1982 gives:

Jacob "Jay" Tolley Towson IV
12385 SW Tremont St., Portland, OR 97225
(in 1981, at 585 SW Liberty Bell Drive, Beaverton, OR 97006)

Age unknown, prolly upper 30s or even 40s. Accomplished draftsman, patient, meticulous... reasonably conversant with copyright & trademark law, marketing requirements, business in general, etc.

Incorporated: PI Co., POB 5206, Aloha, OR 97006

According to my files, the initial contact was with Steve Winter of TSR sometime during the summer of 1981, and it landed on my desk later that year. I pushed it throughout 1982, but it was ultimately killed by my successor in the RPGA, Kim Eastland, around January 1983. (He killed various projects, including the "R" series of AD&D modules, as being useless and off-topic.)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:44 pm 

ExTSR wrote:The name's Frank.

My info from 1982 gives:

Jacob "Jay" Tolley Towson IV
12385 SW Tremont St., Portland, OR 97225
(in 1981, at 585 SW Liberty Bell Drive, Beaverton, OR 97006)

Age unknown, prolly upper 30s or even 40s. Accomplished draftsman, patient, meticulous... reasonably conversant with copyright & trademark law, marketing requirements, business in general, etc.

Frank,

I just spoke with his ex-wife and she was extremely nice and confirmed that I was on the right track. Learned some interesting history and she said that he would probably be thrilled to know that there is an interest in his "product" :D .

I will continue to reach out to the number I have for him and see if I can make contact.

[email protected]

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:53 pm 

Curiouser and curiouser.

Good luck; if you can find any more of these, the treasure is certainly worth the adventuring. ;>

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:27 am 

Hey Paul---

Have you (or Mark, or anyone else) done more research on this front?

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:37 am 

Blast from the past...

No new info on my end.

And you'll have to pry it from my cold, dead fingers...

:P

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:44 am 

Watching this unfold with great interest!!!

Martin

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:58 am 

It would be a wonderfull OSR product! We are looking forward to more information.

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Next