Reporting a seller on eBay for keyword spamming
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:46 pm 

There's a seller on eBay named kitschandcurios who adds lots of auctions on a daily basis that have nothing to do with RPG collecting, and yet his stuff shows up every time I use my saved search for Chaosium. This is because he has a ton of keywords in his auctions. It's blatant keyword spamming. I've reported at least 20 of his auction items, but he keeps posting new ones on a daily basis. How can you report a seller as opposed to individual auctions? This guy needs to stop.

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:52 pm 

you can always add a minus to your search to exclude one of his keywords..

eg chaosium -Talislanta

gets rid of all of his stuff...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:20 pm 

Safe Harbor in My eBay, I believe. Brian?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:24 pm 

EBays policies are mighty strange? I had a copy of Mein Kampf that my girlfriend bought me because i am interested in WW2 books she mistakingly thought i would be interested(bless her).I tried to sell it on ebay and ended up getting bombarded with hate mail and then the unfortunate auction was cancelled because of "racial intolerence".I argued
that just because i am selling said book does not necessarily mean i am some lunatic nazi with aspirations of new world order and racial intolerence?
Then i sold a copy of White Dwarf Magazine.It had a female demon on the cover with a horn...so jokingly i added to the discription "check out the horny bitch on the front cover".Ebay again removed my listing?
Then the first time i learned of keyword exploiting was when i tried to sell
my motorcycle,every one does it...you know Honda CBR...not Suzuki/Yamaha etc...again my listing was removed?

The annoying idiotic thing is that if you search the listings anytime there are thousands of auctions doing the exact things that i had my listings removed for but their listings are okay?
How do they actually regulate the content?
I get my auction ended for adding "horny bitch" to my listing, and people are selling Pulp Fiction "Bad Mother Fuc*er" wallets with the rude word still
included?What a bunch of Anal retentive idiots Ebay really are!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:13 am 

ATOM wrote:I get my auction ended for adding "horny bitch" to my listing, and people are selling Pulp Fiction "Bad Mother Fuc*er" wallets with the rude word still included?

'Cuz you ain't a bad motherfuc*er!  :)

Who knows what eBay employees think.  If the item has the naughty word, then it's legit.  I guess.  *shrug*

Carcass was a grindcore group from the 90s.  Jeff Walker was their lead singer.  He covered an album of country standards as "Jeff Walker und die Fluffers".  The album was entitled Welcome to Carcass Cuntry, complete with Cherry Poptart* on the cover.  The inside art is a duplicate of the outside art with Cherry saying "Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke!"
------
*Google searches for her are probably NSFW, but she's PG-13 on the CD cover.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:22 am 

Its all just so indecisive though...isnt it? I think they just randomly delete
their so called "offensive" listings here and there to get the point across.
I have just been very unlucky...maybe its because my name starts with "A"
That might very well explain it?

Maybe if i was a "POWAH SELLURR" i might get more leeway eh?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:38 am 

Devil Robot, I agree heartily that the seller is really stretching the keyword concept to its limit, but your simplest solution is to uncheck the "search item descriptions" box. None of his auction titles contain any RPG references; only the spam-a-riffic descriptions do.

Actually, not to change the subect too much, but I always do "normal" eBay searches when I'm in a buying mood. I've found I get way, way, way too many results by adding the "search descriptions" parameter.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:35 am 

ATOM wrote:Its all just so indecisive though...isnt it? I think they just randomly delete
their so called "offensive" listings here and there to get the point across.
I have just been very unlucky...maybe its because my name starts with "A"
That might very well explain it?

Maybe if i was a "POWAH SELLURR" i might get more leeway eh?

99.9 percent of the time they are acting on "reported" information.  The amount of Ebay employees at any time "trolling" ebay looking for offenders is almost nil....you have a better chance of getting audited by the IRS....twice.    They just don't have the manpower. Odds are someone has reported you nearly everytime your items get pulled (I have confirmed this with a living, breathing Ebay employee I talked to on the phone several years ago, they act on tips and basically a domino effect where whoever was informed upon informs upon someone else, and so on, and so on.....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com