Free RPG Day June 23, 2007
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:03 pm 

The only store here in Colo. Springs who had the day, Compleat Games & Hobbies, had all the stuff mentioned when it opened at 9:30 AM--and I was the first one there 8O , with no line at 9 AM.  I did get DCC#51.5 along with one other free item, so my trip was--for once--a success!

Last edited by sleepyCO on Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:08 am 

Discordia Games in Bremerton, Washington came across with the free RPG publications.

I got DCC #51.5 and my wife got Imperial Town of Tell Qa and the Castles and Crusades Quick Start Rules.  (She gave both to me, of course  :D )

We made a point of making a purchase and encouraged other gamers in our group to go there.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:06 am 

Just thought I'd throw an opinion in from overseas on the Free RPG day.

First off - think it's a fantastic idea to get people in on the hobby, or pick up from where they may have left it, however long ago.

Also very big kudos to all the publishers who've placed their own hard-earned cash on the line in producing the items, putting them out there and taking the gamble on whether it will succeed or not. Looks like there's plenty of the free advertising, and brings to light how some shops are run - good and bad.

I would have one suggestion for next year.  

To allow supporters overseas to participate:
- Possibly take advance orders from people overseas so you can see what the interest is.
- This may give an indication of what the 'local' market may be like also. If there's a huge rush from people overseas production figures may be able to be 'tweeked' upwards.
- Possibly place a price on it similar to a normal module . The 'free' component is to get people in the stores after all.
- With people oversease buying the module rather than having it as a freebie the publishers would be guaranteed sales with profits to help offset the cost of producing the 'free' ones.
- Include the overseas sales in the same print run of the 'free' items, just add their number onto the orders from the US stores.
- do the release ie shipping, at the same time as the 'free day'
- The people overseas won't be there on the day, and won't be contributing to the US brick and mortar industry at all, but this way the product is still getting great exposure;offsetting a very little bit of the expense; and collectors overseas can still participate and be supporting the same cause.

Just thoughts..

A huge thank you to the person who tried to get me a copy but was unsuccesful (M). Anyone who gets tired of reading theirs let me know for a trade.

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:30 pm 

Free RPG Day turned out pretty good for the Hobby Shops we visited. Devon & I ended up driving to Fort Wayne Indiana to visit the 4 stores that were participating.
The 1st store we went to was called The Keep. The woman who usually runs it had her husband open the store. He didn't have a clue about anything role-playing. Devon, a woman, and I ended up opening the box and setting everything up for him. He put a limit of 2 on the items you could take.
Of the other 3 stores: one sold mostly NASCAR and Sports items(said the Free RPG items didn't arrive), and the other 2 were mainly comic stores. Everyone was friendly and all you had to do was walk in the door to receive the free items.

We ended up getting:
-2 DCC #51.5
-Castle & Crusades Quick Start Rules
-Imperial Town of Tell Qa
-Tunnels & Trolls item
-Little Orc Wars
-2 dice from different stores

We also picked up a Hogunmark for $1 and a couple of items to fill in holes. I made it a point to purchase at least one item from each store we visited.

Hope Free RPG Day continues and that other companies join in. :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:58 pm 

burntwire brothers wrote:Free RPG Day turned out pretty good for the Hobby Shops we visited. Devon & I ended up driving to Fort Wayne Indiana to visit the 4 stores that were participating.
The 1st store we went to was called The Keep. The woman who usually runs it had her husband open the store. He didn't have a clue about anything role-playing. Devon, a woman, and I ended up opening the box and setting everything up for him. He put a limit of 2 on the items you could take.
Of the other 3 stores: one sold mostly NASCAR and Sports items(said the Free RPG items didn't arrive), and the other 2 were mainly comic stores. Everyone was friendly and all you had to do was walk in the door to receive the free items.

We ended up getting:
-2 DCC #51.5
-Castle & Crusades Quick Start Rules
-Imperial Town of Tell Qa
-Tunnels & Trolls item
-Little Orc Wars
-2 dice from different stores

We also picked up a Hogunmark for $1 and a couple of items to fill in holes. I made it a point to purchase at least one item from each store we visited.

Hope Free RPG Day continues and that other companies join in. :D

JohnGaunt and I got at least one of everything. But I will confess, we were purchasing something at every single store we went to, but it got down to "Eating dinner' or "Buying another Goodman Games product" towards the last couple of stores, and we stiffed 'em  8O  :oops: .  But they were part of the same chain we had been dropping bills at all day, so I didn't feel TOO bad....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:44 pm 

*bump*

I think that this is the list of 2007 sponsors.  I didn't see it in this thread, and I only kept a few of them:

Silver Level
Black Industries - The Pig, The Witch and Her Lover (Warhammer FRP)
Chessex - store dice
Flying Buffalo - T&T Quickstart
Goodman Games x 3- DCC 51.5, Wicked Fantasy Factory 0, and Xcrawl Brooklyn
Paizo Publishing - Game Mastery D0
Troll Lord Games - C&C Quickstart

Bronze Level
Adventure Games Publishing - Tell Qa (C&C/Judges Guild)
Amarillo Design Bureau - Starfleet Battles Quickstart
Lone Wolf Development        - HeroLab Demo CD (World of Darkness)
Mongoose Publishing - RuneQuest Adventure
Skirmisher Publishing - Little Orc Wars Quickstart
Vajra Enterprises - In Dark Alleys Quickstart
West End Games - Septimus Quickstart
White Silver Publishing - Black Arrow Run (Chronicles of Ramlar)
White Wolf Publishing - Changeling: The Lost Quickstart

and one other demo CD?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:32 am 

Don't forget Noble Knight has most of the items available now, including the Q dice..

You can order 2 items when you order anything and 1 more per $25 spent (better than nothing particularly if youy were going to buy some gear anyway)

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:45 pm 

AdderMcOne wrote:Don't forget Noble Knight has most of the items available now, including the Q dice..

You can order 2 items when you order anything and 1 more per $25 spent (better than nothing particularly if youy were going to buy some gear anyway)

Thanks, I looked yesterday, but I either 1) looked too early or 2) didn't look correctly(probably the latter). Got two of my wants. Thanks again

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:41 pm 

Errr, I bumped this for the year 2007, not 2008.  :)

Previous