Free RPG Day June 23, 2007
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:52 am 

jamesmishler wrote:I wonder how he was able to get more than one pack?

Early on it didn't look like a lot of stores would join, so stores were permitted to order as many packs as they wanted, paying $30 postage for each. (Lots of private individuals tried to get on board too, offering Aldo $30 for a box. To his credit, he turned them down.)

Late in the cycle (as in, after Aldo told the publishers how many copies he needed), lots of folks wanted to jump on board, and suddenly there was a rush on packs, resulting in current situation.

If it had happened in the reverse order, and lots of folks had gotten on board first, the publishers could have been notified in a timely manner and (probably) dug deep and made larger print runs. As it was just the larger players were able to make the changes.

(As fun trivia: Wizards was invited to participate, but couldn't get a product turned around in time. Meanwhile, back in Wisconsin, the little guys were working their assess off, alienating their spouses, spending cash out of pocket for cartography and art, and managed to produce killer freebies. Chalk one up to the small publishers.

Wizards is supposed to be in for next year --- and most game shops will probably assume that WotC came up with the idea, when really it was the small publishers who tried to save the brick and mortar game store. Gleemax and the Digital Initiative vs. FreeRPGDay and the Brick&Mortar.)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:22 pm 

Well I wanted to chime in and say that I just got back from my local Lone Star Comics.  I expected to be told "Sorry but you can only get the free items if you play the games."  Instead the guy that I asked about it told me that they were free to whoever wanted one.  "It is Free RPG Day after all."  So after all the nonsense and confusing information provided by the store manager, they came through with flying colors.

I decided to pick up DCC 51.5,  Castles and Crusades Quick Start Rules with the Castle Zagyg adventure, and Imperial Town of Tell Qa.  I could have picked up a few others but I figured I would leave them to the people that actually want them (I'm not into Changeling, Warhammer, or Starfleet battles anyway).  For freebies, these items look damn cool...lots better than the Free Comic Book day stuff.  And James, even though Tell Qa doesnt have the glossy cover and color art that some of the others do, from just a quick glance it looks pretty damn great.  I have always been a sucker for a small city setting.  The city map looks a bit like The Keep on the Borderlands after a nice growth in population and commerce.  :D

Hopefully this will be something that will continue to grow over the years.  I will probably be picking up more of the C&C and Castle Zagyg line simply because of these freebies.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:25 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Well I wanted to chime in and say that I just got back from my local Lone Star Comics.  I expected to be told "Sorry but you can only get the free items if you play the games."  Instead the guy that I asked about it told me that they were free to whoever wanted one.  "It is Free RPG Day after all."  So after all the nonsense and confusing information provided by the store manager, they came through with flying colors.

I decided to pick up DCC 51.5,  Castles and Crusades Quick Start Rules with the Castle Zagyg adventure, and Imperial Town of Tell Qa.  I could have picked up a few others but I figured I would leave them to the people that actually want them (I'm not into Changeling, Warhammer, or Starfleet battles anyway).  For freebies, these items look damn cool...lots better than the Free Comic Book day stuff.  And James, even though Tell Qa doesnt have the glossy cover and color art that some of the others do, from just a quick glance it looks pretty damn great.  I have always been a sucker for a small city setting.  The city map looks a bit like The Keep on the Borderlands after a nice growth in population and commerce.  :D

Hopefully this will be something that will continue to grow over the years.  I will probably be picking up more of the C&C and Castle Zagyg line simply because of these freebies.

Ditto from here.  Looks like LSC are just putting out the free product and letting you take one per person.  Quantities, however, look very limited.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:16 pm 

YES! Boo-yeah! I was able to order the C&C stuff from NKG (after a few hiccups this morning and my stupidity of not making it a single order.. too bad their system doesn't auto-combine...) and have confirmed that a friend has picked up DCC 51.5 for me. Yes! :)

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:02 pm 

Well, I just got back from RIW Hobbies in Livonia, Michigan.  They don't seem to have promoted the day at all -- no sign in the window, nothing on their website, and no special events.  Just another Saturday (and it actually seemed rather slow for a game store on a Saturday). I was there for over an hour (acidentally ran into a guy I know, so we got talking), and I only saw a couple of other customers asking about Free RPG Day.

They were limiting products one to a customer.  I got the DCC module, which acutally seemed to be one of the adventures that RIW had the most of -- either people aren't looking for it, or Goodman was able to print a  lot more copies than the competition.

T&T and RuneQuest weren't moving very well, either, although I'm not surprised that people weren't grabbing a 4-page RQ adventure.  I'd be hesitant to make that my only choice, too.

WWW ICQ  

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:07 pm 

After reading all the previous posts, I was prepared for the worst when I drove down to the Third Planet in Torrance, CA.  I hadn't been there in several years.

There were a number of people waiting outside the store a minute before the store opened but everything went very smoothly.  No yelling, pushing, tantrums, or violence.   PDT_Armataz_01_14

The store staff were very friendly and knowledgable.  The store well organized and clean.  They were limiting products one to a customer; two if you filled up a survey/mailing list.  And there would be a drawing later amongst the completed surveys for a chance to win one of every product (free rpg day).  There seemed to be plenty of copies.

I'm primarily an art collector but I think Free RPG Day was a great idea and executed well (at least here).  It revived my interest in both playing rpgs & visting the brick & mortar hobby store more often.

Kudos to all the companies who sponsored this event!   PDT_Armataz_01_37

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:53 pm 

Well I was in the Game Preserve in Bloomington when they opened with three friends and we all managed to grab a copy of the module. Although there were only two left by the time the four of us had one. They were limiting the freebies to one freebie per person and not everyone there took the 51.5 module. The store was running games all day and the set up was very nice. I was most impressed with them. There were quite a number of people in the store so it looks like the day was a success in their store.

John

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:00 pm 

Lone Star Comics really came through for Brian (JohnGaunt) and I.  They were generally helpful and more than willing to part with copies (store protocol differed about whether you could take just one copy, or maybe 2-3, depending on the store).  We reciprocated by buying at least one module from every store (about finished off my DCC collection) and eventually got one of every giveaway.  If I have time later maybe I'll give a review of all the product, but IMO the items that stand out so far are the three I knew I would like: The DCC #51.5 (looks as professionally done as any other DCC product); Castles and Crusades Quick Play rules (very well put together, and at 24 pages one of if not the biggest giveaway), and the Imperial Town of Tell Qa....James, this item just KICKS ASS!  You packed a ton into 16 pages.  I love items with tiny typeset (ok, so maybe I can't read it unless I hold it inches from my face) because that usually means it's stuffed full of goodies, and this product is no exception.  The map is functional and nicely old school looking.  Instant collectible!
   Plugs also for my FLGS in Euless, Generation X, which let us take one "glossy" cover and one "paper" cover each.
   Boos for Madness Comics in Plano.  King, you were right about this store. What a turd farm.  The only store we hit all day that refused to give us product, and lied about it to our faces. We were told they didn't know anything about a Free Game Day (despite being listed on the website as participating, and having them tell King something different previously), had never heard of DCC 51.5, didn't have any free game product, etc. Acted like we were out of our minds for even suggesting such as thing as "Free Games".  Basically just spit in our face and told us to get the hell out of there. Asshat Central. I'll never do business there, and cheer their eventual shut down and demise.  I don't know if they kept the product for themselves, just lied to us because we weren't regulars, whatever.  Still no way to treat potential customers.
   We were lucky because there are several stores participating in the DFW area, and all seemed to be running events and tournaments (except for Generation X, whose regular Saturday gaming group cancelled rather than run demonstrations for curious players, thanks for supporting the hobby you morons...I mean you players, not the store)
  I hope this event really takes off...I think most of the stores need to tweak their participation, but it's  good start.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:59 am 

http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... php?t=2005

Goodman Games modules shall be released later in the year for those that could not get them.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:23 am 

Thanks to Lone Star Comics for coming through with the goods.
Thanks to Generation X for the same and also looking like what a comics and game store should look like.  :)
And thanks to the publishers involved.
But Madness Comics  . . . *sigh*

---------

Next year, could a similar effort be made to ship product to military bases in the US and overseas?  Politics aside, having free games available to the military would be a way to introduce both old and new gamers to the current pen-and-paper products.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:03 pm 

The only store here in Colo. Springs who had the day, Compleat Games & Hobbies, had all the stuff mentioned when it opened at 9:30 AM--and I was the first one there 8O , with no line at 9 AM.  I did get DCC#51.5 along with one other free item, so my trip was--for once--a success!

Last edited by sleepyCO on Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:08 am 

Discordia Games in Bremerton, Washington came across with the free RPG publications.

I got DCC #51.5 and my wife got Imperial Town of Tell Qa and the Castles and Crusades Quick Start Rules.  (She gave both to me, of course  :D )

We made a point of making a purchase and encouraged other gamers in our group to go there.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:06 am 

Just thought I'd throw an opinion in from overseas on the Free RPG day.

First off - think it's a fantastic idea to get people in on the hobby, or pick up from where they may have left it, however long ago.

Also very big kudos to all the publishers who've placed their own hard-earned cash on the line in producing the items, putting them out there and taking the gamble on whether it will succeed or not. Looks like there's plenty of the free advertising, and brings to light how some shops are run - good and bad.

I would have one suggestion for next year.  

To allow supporters overseas to participate:
- Possibly take advance orders from people overseas so you can see what the interest is.
- This may give an indication of what the 'local' market may be like also. If there's a huge rush from people overseas production figures may be able to be 'tweeked' upwards.
- Possibly place a price on it similar to a normal module . The 'free' component is to get people in the stores after all.
- With people oversease buying the module rather than having it as a freebie the publishers would be guaranteed sales with profits to help offset the cost of producing the 'free' ones.
- Include the overseas sales in the same print run of the 'free' items, just add their number onto the orders from the US stores.
- do the release ie shipping, at the same time as the 'free day'
- The people overseas won't be there on the day, and won't be contributing to the US brick and mortar industry at all, but this way the product is still getting great exposure;offsetting a very little bit of the expense; and collectors overseas can still participate and be supporting the same cause.

Just thoughts..

A huge thank you to the person who tried to get me a copy but was unsuccesful (M). Anyone who gets tired of reading theirs let me know for a trade.

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:30 pm 

Free RPG Day turned out pretty good for the Hobby Shops we visited. Devon & I ended up driving to Fort Wayne Indiana to visit the 4 stores that were participating.
The 1st store we went to was called The Keep. The woman who usually runs it had her husband open the store. He didn't have a clue about anything role-playing. Devon, a woman, and I ended up opening the box and setting everything up for him. He put a limit of 2 on the items you could take.
Of the other 3 stores: one sold mostly NASCAR and Sports items(said the Free RPG items didn't arrive), and the other 2 were mainly comic stores. Everyone was friendly and all you had to do was walk in the door to receive the free items.

We ended up getting:
-2 DCC #51.5
-Castle & Crusades Quick Start Rules
-Imperial Town of Tell Qa
-Tunnels & Trolls item
-Little Orc Wars
-2 dice from different stores

We also picked up a Hogunmark for $1 and a couple of items to fill in holes. I made it a point to purchase at least one item from each store we visited.

Hope Free RPG Day continues and that other companies join in. :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:58 pm 

burntwire brothers wrote:Free RPG Day turned out pretty good for the Hobby Shops we visited. Devon & I ended up driving to Fort Wayne Indiana to visit the 4 stores that were participating.
The 1st store we went to was called The Keep. The woman who usually runs it had her husband open the store. He didn't have a clue about anything role-playing. Devon, a woman, and I ended up opening the box and setting everything up for him. He put a limit of 2 on the items you could take.
Of the other 3 stores: one sold mostly NASCAR and Sports items(said the Free RPG items didn't arrive), and the other 2 were mainly comic stores. Everyone was friendly and all you had to do was walk in the door to receive the free items.

We ended up getting:
-2 DCC #51.5
-Castle & Crusades Quick Start Rules
-Imperial Town of Tell Qa
-Tunnels & Trolls item
-Little Orc Wars
-2 dice from different stores

We also picked up a Hogunmark for $1 and a couple of items to fill in holes. I made it a point to purchase at least one item from each store we visited.

Hope Free RPG Day continues and that other companies join in. :D

JohnGaunt and I got at least one of everything. But I will confess, we were purchasing something at every single store we went to, but it got down to "Eating dinner' or "Buying another Goodman Games product" towards the last couple of stores, and we stiffed 'em  8O  :oops: .  But they were part of the same chain we had been dropping bills at all day, so I didn't feel TOO bad....

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:44 pm 

*bump*

I think that this is the list of 2007 sponsors.  I didn't see it in this thread, and I only kept a few of them:

Silver Level
Black Industries - The Pig, The Witch and Her Lover (Warhammer FRP)
Chessex - store dice
Flying Buffalo - T&T Quickstart
Goodman Games x 3- DCC 51.5, Wicked Fantasy Factory 0, and Xcrawl Brooklyn
Paizo Publishing - Game Mastery D0
Troll Lord Games - C&C Quickstart

Bronze Level
Adventure Games Publishing - Tell Qa (C&C/Judges Guild)
Amarillo Design Bureau - Starfleet Battles Quickstart
Lone Wolf Development        - HeroLab Demo CD (World of Darkness)
Mongoose Publishing - RuneQuest Adventure
Skirmisher Publishing - Little Orc Wars Quickstart
Vajra Enterprises - In Dark Alleys Quickstart
West End Games - Septimus Quickstart
White Silver Publishing - Black Arrow Run (Chronicles of Ramlar)
White Wolf Publishing - Changeling: The Lost Quickstart

and one other demo CD?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:32 am 

Don't forget Noble Knight has most of the items available now, including the Q dice..

You can order 2 items when you order anything and 1 more per $25 spent (better than nothing particularly if youy were going to buy some gear anyway)

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:45 pm 

AdderMcOne wrote:Don't forget Noble Knight has most of the items available now, including the Q dice..

You can order 2 items when you order anything and 1 more per $25 spent (better than nothing particularly if youy were going to buy some gear anyway)

Thanks, I looked yesterday, but I either 1) looked too early or 2) didn't look correctly(probably the latter). Got two of my wants. Thanks again

PreviousNext