Free RPG Day June 23, 2007
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:43 am 

Goodman Games will be a sponsor of the up and coming day, in which 3 goodies will be given away for those going to selected brick n mortar stores.

One of these will be a DCC 51.5 module (The Sinister Secret of Whiterock), being a prelude to an upcoming 500 page module later in the year.

Unfortunately US only this year. :cry:  :cry: (confirmed by Mr Goodman on the GG forum, but they're looking at overseas options for next year)

Here's the link for anyone interested :

http://www.goodmangames.com/freerpgday.php

**Shameless request***
anyone able to go to one of the stores on the day who's not interested in the DCC line I'm really interested in getting a copy of the DCC51.5 (PM me  :wink: )

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:24 pm 

I was going to post the same thing :)  I would be interested in a copy of DCC 51.5 as well.

I emailed Goodman Games and asked about getting a copy directly from him and he said no.  Its to get gamers into the stores and restricted to the US :(

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:48 pm 

Cool, the Game Preserve here in Bloomington is one of the stores. I will see if I can snag multiple copies of 51.5 that day. If not, I may enlist a few friends to wander in and request one.

John

"Everyone is entitled to Al's opinion."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:22 pm 

Crap, looks like its really going to be a road trip for me...  :o

A Wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins, nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:53 pm 

put me down for one as well...

(the joys of living in Australia I guess...)

Brette:)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:26 pm 

I would also like a copy of 51.5, if anyone can get their hands on a spare copy.

As there are several of us from Australia who would like a copy of the module - if anyone can get multiple copies, perhaps they could send them to me, and I will distribute to Adder, Brett and anyone else who wants one. It will save a substantial amount in postage.

Any volunteers who think they can get their hands on half a dozen or so?

Regards

Mike

Demand of them whither they should comme to devide the worlde with the Emperour? And as they answered, he tooke up his shirte behinde and shewed them his buttocks, sayenge unto them, drawe your Lyne throughe the middest of *this* place.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:05 am 

i take my ticket and follow the cue!

...if there will anyone of you who collects a copy for me, you'd make  happy again a child!  :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:06 am 

mdr003 wrote:I would also like a copy of 51.5, if anyone can get their hands on a spare copy.

As there are several of us from Australia who would like a copy of the module - if anyone can get multiple copies, perhaps they could send them to me, and I will distribute to Adder, Brett and anyone else who wants one. It will save a substantial amount in postage.

Any volunteers who think they can get their hands on half a dozen or so?

Regards

Mike

I'll see what I can do...I have already planned the route and have the maps for the drive.

Its going to be two hours to one place, one to the next, and then two hours home.

I think thats all I can do in one day. 8O

A Wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins, nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:36 am 

AdderMcOne wrote:Goodman Games will be a sponsor of the up and coming day, in which 3 goodies will be given away for those going to selected brick n mortar stores.

DCC 51.5* sounds like the module everyone will be chasing.  Will the Wicked Fantasy Factory and the Xcrawl modules be collectible?

AdderMcOne wrote:Here's the link for anyone interested :

http://www.goodmangames.com/freerpgday.php

Did the gamestores put inked stamps or hard-to-remove stickers on their Game Day materials last year?

---------
* DCC 51.5 --- isn't that both a Van Halen album and a Black Sabbath song?  :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:43 am 

Thanks for the heads-up.  Looks like one of the stores in town will be participating, and one each in Lawrence and KC, but I'm not likely to make any extra trips to those towns.  

Is each store getting just one copy of each book??

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:17 am 

grodog wrote:Thanks for the heads-up.  Looks like one of the stores in town will be participating, and one each in Lawrence and KC, but I'm not likely to make any extra trips to those towns.  

Is each store getting just one copy of each book??

I think most stores should be getting multiple copies, but who knows. The last few giveaways, the local game store would only give a copy to you if you participated in a playtesting of the game, since it was 3rd ed I blew it off.  I would guess no one would be able to walk out with multiple copies, but I suppose it depends on the game store.  Apparantly there are quite a few in my local area, I'll do what I can to get some info on what the procedure will be.....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:22 am 

Would be sadly hilarious if the free module turned into some sort of super collectible! If it's got a print run of only a few hundred, and you have to jump through hoops to get it, it could end up on eBay fetching some decent money.  :(

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:28 am 

Gus Landt wrote:Would be sadly hilarious if the free module turned into some sort of super collectible! If it's got a print run of only a few hundred, and you have to jump through hoops to get it, it could end up on eBay fetching some decent money.  :(

No different than FASA's Blue Camel for Thieves World ;)

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:45 pm 

Gus Landt wrote:Would be sadly hilarious if the free module turned into some sort of super collectible! If it's got a print run of only a few hundred, and you have to jump through hoops to get it, it could end up on eBay fetching some decent money.  :(

By the sounds of it, the print run looks like it will be pretty large but as with all the freebee items, who knows where they'll end up in 20 years.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:10 pm 

The original plan is to have 10 of each module included in Free RPG Day in each pack sent to each retailer, with 100 retailers participating, thus there would be 1,000 copies of each module.

However, there are now more than 100 retailers participating, so, I'm not sure how that is going to work; I think they are still planning it out. I know that I will be printing only 1,000 copies of Imperial Town of Tell Qa: Northern Bastion of the Falling Empire, and that those will be divided up as equally as possible among the number of retailer packages products (i.e., if there are 200, then each package will have 5 copies rather than 10). I *think* the bigger guys like Goodman are going to print enough copies to keep the number at 10 copies of each each module per pack, and that there will be a total of 100 products in each pack, but don't quote me on that...

So there will be at least 1,000 copies of DCC #51.5, maybe more...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:49 pm 

So....another Dungeon Crawl Classic that will be impossible to collect.

I am thinking of just giving up on DCC.  Game collecting becomes an impossible hobby when game companies start intentionally producing rare items.

There is a game store in my region...Discordia Games...but something tells me their commitment to RPG's is less than super enthusiastic.  They make most of their money off of miniatures wargames.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:45 pm 

Man, I just nose-snorted beer all over my keyboard after seeing that new avatar!  Frickin' hilarious!   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:28 pm 

FormCritic wrote:So....another Dungeon Crawl Classic that will be impossible to collect.

I am thinking of just giving up on DCC.  Game collecting becomes an impossible hobby when game companies start intentionally producing rare items.

There is a game store in my region...Discordia Games...but something tells me their commitment to RPG's is less than super enthusiastic.  They make most of their money off of miniatures wargames.

To be fair:
1) Joseph Goodman has stated he isn't interested in producing a 'collectible' product. He just wants people to play and enjoy.  He isn't intending to make this module a valuable collectible.  Plus how many copies can you expect a company to make, when they are giving it away for free?
2) Can you call something collectible if you can just walk into a store and buy every item?  Isn't part of what makes a collection the process of collecting?  The hunting for the missing items, the thrill of discovery, the agony of wondering if you'll ever find it?
3) Your avatar rocks!  I remember reading that book like 20 times in middle & high school!  :D

Next