Roleaids
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:59 pm 

Is anyone familiar with a product, I believe it was part of a series, called simply "Elves" by Roleaids?  I remember this one fondly, can't remember when I parted with it, but would like to pick a copy up if any are still floating around.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:02 pm 

Okay, I guess I could've done the Google search BEFORE posting the question.  I'm finding all kinds of cheap copies of this one.  Thanks anyway!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:50 pm 

Yes. RoleAids items are pretty common and easy to obtain, with the exception of some of the real early stuff. Many retailers still have new, unsold items from years ago.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:59 pm 

If you are looking for Roleaids, your best deal is still to get them directly from Mayfair.  They have been blowing them out at ridiculously low prices and the shipping is reasonable too.  It never hurts to ask and sometimes people here remember who has the best deal.  Here's a link:

http://www.mayfairgames.com/shop-specia ... fg-ra.html

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:05 pm 

Wow, you aren't kidding about the prices.  $15 for 10 books isn't bad at all.  Almost makes me wonder if the Elves book was as good as I seem to recall...  Have these stayed in print all along (I know I purchased my copy before 1984), or are these copies from back then that are still in stock?  Thanks for the link.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:15 pm 

There are a couple of different prints of some of the books but I doubt they have printed any of these for over 10 or 15 years.  I think they are just trying to clean out the warehouse.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:02 pm 

Not only are they cheap, they are generally decent. I have all of them, and I can't think of any that truly stunk. The tourney mods, surprisingly enough, are even useable.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:12 pm 

Okay, thanks.  I don't always trust my memory when it comes to the quality of some of the more obscure stuff I had back then, and I think Elves was the only Roleaids product I ever owned.  I really liked it, but don't remember squat aside from that, other than the fact that my parents bought it for me in a grocery store around 1982 (I was 12).  I picked it off the "game rack" (don't ask me why a grocery store had RPGs, but I'm sure of it), which included a total of about 15 titles, none of which were TSR for some reason.  Must have been a bid by Mayfair to expand their distribution; evidently it didn't work :).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:31 am 

Geez...I thought that Mayfair Role Aids offer was long over.  Did they find a new crate in the warehouse?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:28 am 

I'm really not sure how many they had to start with but the sale never ended so they must have had a ton of stock.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:13 am 

I have a few Role-Aids books I was planning to sell on ebay.  I don't see them in the Mayfair webpage.  Are they still available as well?  Need to decide whether to sell them as a lot or by the each.

They are Evil Ruins, Fez II - The Contract, Shipwrecker, Swordthrust.  They are all from 1983 except Swordthrust is from '84.  Also have Wizards from '83 which IS on Mayfair's site.

Recommendations?

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:55 am 

They Mayfair site was sold out of about 12 of the Roleaids books.  They tend to probably sell in the $5 range separately.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:29 pm 

Radovarl wrote:I picked it off the "game rack" (don't ask me why a grocery store had RPGs, but I'm sure of it),

I remember a lot of D&D stuff being available on magazine racks in grocery stores in the early 80's.

SH60B's quote of the weeK!!

SimperingToad wrote in Old Candidates: Silliest Auction Prices of the Year:Okay, I don't know if I've ever typed this before, but WTF?!!

Follow The Acaeum on Twitter @TheAcaeum

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:18 pm 

Really?  I think that was the only time I encountered it.  I guess WotC hasn't quite sold the supermarket chains on doing that again, LOL.  Although I have seen M:TG cards in Target (pronounced "Tar-zhay", of course).  Usually I purchased my D&D stuff at the bookstore in the mall, or rarely in toy stores.  

I'll never forget when the toy store near my grandparents' house was going out of business (like that same day or the next), and everything was 75% off.  I clearly recollect seeing Eldritch Wizardry (very distinctive cover), and passing it up in favor of a Basic Set box (purple).  If only I knew then what I know now, 25+ years later, I'd have begged my parents to buy me everything in the store.  Maybe I did that anyway, I don't remember, but at least I'd have a cogent argument now ("Hey, Dad, when I'm 37 that'll be worth 50 bucks!").

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:24 am 

lucyjoyce wrote:I have a few Role-Aids books I was planning to sell on ebay.  I don't see them in the Mayfair webpage.  Are they still available as well?  Need to decide whether to sell them as a lot or by the each.

They are Evil Ruins, Fez II - The Contract, Shipwrecker, Swordthrust.  They are all from 1983 except Swordthrust is from '84.  Also have Wizards from '83 which IS on Mayfair's site.

Recommendations?

Isn't FEZ II part of the Mayfair FEZ lot?

Shipwrecker seems to go for just a bit more than other Mayfair products...possibly because of the cool picture.  I don't have it because I am either just...a...bit...too...cheap whenever it comes up, or I am working on something else at the moment.  Same with Swordthrust.

Mark

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:37 am 

Shipwrecker is one of my favorites from ANY source. I have always used that module in every campaign I have ever ran. Still looking for a Dragons of Weng T'Sen to complete my Role Aids collection.

John

"Everyone is entitled to Al's opinion."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:44 am 

I think I have an extra Wang Hung, Plevich. I'll check and PM you.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:36 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:I think I have an extra Wang Hung, Plevich. I'll check and PM you.

I would appreciate that! Al outbid me for one last year on eBay and I have been too lazy to actively try to acquire another.

Just let me know please.

John

"Everyone is entitled to Al's opinion."