Goodman VS Hackmaster VS Pied Piper
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:31 pm 

Hello All,

As a relatively new person here, I am not too familiar with these new products (bought CAS1 from PPP) and would like to know your thoughts & opinions. If this is a thread that was already done, I apologize and please point me in the right direction.

I am a huge fan of modules and consume more than I should **burp** :D , but I can't help it. I really enjoy the OD&D modules, as well as the JG ones. (No need to list them) As someone who enjoys these, could those of you who have purchased & played (game tested) these please tell me more about them. How well are they written, do they have nice artwork, are the maps done well, etc. :?:

Thanks in Advance,

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:01 am 

PM-Knight wrote:Hello All,

As a relatively new person here, I am not too familiar with these new products (bought CAS1 from PPP) and would like to know your thoughts & opinions. If this is a thread that was already done, I apologize and please point me in the right direction.

I am a huge fan of modules and consume more than I should **burp** :D , but I can't help it. I really enjoy the OD&D modules, as well as the JG ones. (No need to list them) As someone who enjoys these, could those of you who have purchased & played (game tested) these please tell me more about them. How well are they written, do they have nice artwork, are the maps done well, etc. :?:

Thanks in Advance,

Hackmaster:  They are generally just re-writes of the originals, with sometimes interesting, humorous, or original twists.  The first few publicatons they did (B2, G1-3, B1) are the best.  The last few aren't so good.  Nice to collect if you enjoy reading re-takes on classic 1st edition stuff.

Goodman: They have a lot of the 1st edition feel, but the quality varies.  Again, the first 10 or so are the best.  Since they are written for 3E sometimes the game mechanics and stats can get annoying to read. The look is probably the best of all in terms of capturing that AD&D feel.

PP:  Not enough evidence to point one way or another.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:39 am 

Goodman sucks - Everyone go away!  :x

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:24 pm 

Especially the convention specials. You don't want to be bidding on those. They're crap.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:10 pm 

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

You guys crack me up.

PP is batting 1000 so far, in my opinion.  Great pacing, content, and artwork to CoSK and ToB.

As the others stated, the DCC modules are hit or miss.  Personally, I don't care for the rat-obsession a lot of the lower level mods seems to be plagued with.  But the feel and artwork of some of them are really appealing.

I don't know anything about Hackmaster.  I've always outright shunned it out of reverence for the original material it so vulgarly impugnes!   :D

And then there's Sword & Sorcery, or White Wolf, or whoever the publisher is of those awesome retro-feel mods that center around undead-bashing and Orcus-worship.  Man, I love those products.  Some of the maps are shitty, but the artwork is otherwise pretty good, and the feel of the adventures is nice and gritty.

Let mirth prevail!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:37 pm 

Well, I'll sound like I'm in an echo-chamber here, but I agree with some of the above sentiments: both the DCCs and the Hackmaster series have fallen off in terms of recent quality. The earlier efforts tend to be better.

Both series can be fun to collect, though, particularly the DCCs. Once I cash a couple of paychecks, I'd like to pick up where I left off and complete my collection of DCCs that feature former TSR staff artists.

I haven't purchased any PPP products and can offer no opinion on that subject. But they seem to be very popular with many members here, which is definitely something to consider.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:24 pm 

Mbassoc2003 wrote:Especially the convention specials. You don't want to be bidding on those. They're crap.

Should probably throw out my 3.5 one then, like anyone wants anything from Arneson nowadays.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:26 pm 

bombadil wrote:
And then there's Sword & Sorcery, or White Wolf, or whoever the publisher is of those awesome retro-feel mods that center around undead-bashing and Orcus-worship.  Man, I love those products.  Some of the maps are shitty, but the artwork is otherwise pretty good, and the feel of the adventures is nice and gritty.

Necromancer Games I presume.
Early maps were not great, course they fired that guy.

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:41 pm 

Plaag wrote:
Should probably throw out my 3.5 one then, like anyone wants anything from Arneson nowadays.

ShaneG.

I'll give you $5 for the piece of garbage....and only because I need it to complete my DCC collection.  Otherwise you would probably need to pay me to take it off your hands.  :wink:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:43 pm 

Plaag wrote:
Necromancer Games I presume.
Early maps were not great, course they fired that guy.

ShaneG.

That's it.  The Tomb of Abysthor.  One of my favorites.

Too bad they fired the map artist.  I kind of liked having to squint my way through features like 2' wide rat tunnels and unmarked chambers.  There was a certain charisma to those maps.

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:04 pm 

bombadil wrote:
That's it.  The Tomb of Abysthor.  One of my favorites.

Too bad they fired the map artist.  I kind of liked having to squint my way through features like 2' wide rat tunnels and unmarked chambers.  There was a certain charisma to those maps.

Should check out Bards Gate (city supplement), not for the maps though mind you :wink:

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:46 pm 

Thanks for the tip.  Will do.   :D

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:36 pm 

Bard's Gate is quite good, Stephen, and well-worth checking out.  If you didn't pick up the redone maps for Rappan Athuk and Tomb of Abysthor, they've available on the NG product support pages (you'll need your password from the title page of the book).  Also worth looking into Demons & Devils, Crucible of Freya, and the other freebie downloads which round those out (NG was the king of expanding a module's scope, back in the day).  

Anyone interested in a cheap/easy sample of PPP's quality should check out The Original Living Room (an encounter excerpted from Kuntz's Castle Greyhawk levels), which is just $9.95 + SH (not that the $15.95 Tower of Blood is expensive, mind you, it's just that the Living Room is the least expensive of the PPP offerings :D ).

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:43 pm 

bombadil wrote:I don't know anything about Hackmaster.  I've always outright shunned it out of reverence for the original material it so vulgarly impugnes!   :D

Glad I'm not the only one.  I read enough of a Hackmaster module to get righteously indignant and stop reading the rest.  I don't remember which one, but bad marketing strategy.

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:56 pm 

Plaag wrote:

ShaneG.

Is that a true, non-sarcastic statement? Because I have been reading nothing but bad reviews for all the latest Arneson offerings, and since I don't own any of them, I was just wondering if it they are really bad.
Thanks.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:15 am 

The quality of the maps is really important to me, seeing as that's my background. If a product has bad cartography, then in general I tend to class it as being crap, even if the writing is good.

Of the current crop of d20 (1E sympaththic) products available, I'd suggest these are among the best available....

Necromancer Games - Rappan Athuk Reloaded (an expensive boxed set but with some of the best dungeon maps I've seen over the past 10 years.)
The Game Mechanics - City Quarters Series (Liberty City is one of the most well planned out port cities I have ever seen.)
Goodman Games - Thieves of Fortress Badabaskor (a great re-release of a classic adventure)
Necromancer Games - City State of the Invincible Overlord
Necromancer Games - Wilderlands of High Fantasy (re-release of classic campaign materials)
Goodman Games - DCC #12.5 1E (proof that with a little thought, d20 can be presented as 1E and still be commercially viable)
Pied Piper Publishing - CAS1 Cairn of the Skeleton King (an instant collectable. Whilst you can still buy these from Rob, and NKG, unless there is a reprint, I'd expect these to be rare in a year or two and impossible to get if 1E is still collectable in the next decade.)

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:07 am 

Mbassoc2003 wrote:Of the current crop of d20 (1E sympaththic) products available, I'd suggest these are among the best available....

Necromancer Games - Rappan Athuk Reloaded (an expensive boxed set but with some of the best dungeon maps I've seen over the past 10 years.)
Necromancer Games - City State of the Invincible Overlord
Necromancer Games - Wilderlands of High Fantasy (re-release of classic campaign materials).

What, all these Necro mods on the list and you don't include The Bonegarden?  :wink:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:16 am 

Mbassoc2003 wrote:Necromancer Games - Rappan Athuk Reloaded (an expensive boxed set but with some of the best dungeon maps I've seen over the past 10 years.)

Sounds interesting, Ian.  Does it include the entire series of mods, and if so, are there any differences in content from the original releases?

Let mirth prevail!

Next