What else was in those boxes?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:10 am 

Hello all,

Some of you have been following the sage of my recent purchase of games that contained the Palace of the Vampire Queen (which will hit ebay tomorrow, btw).  Several have asked, "What else was in the four huge boxes?"  I thought I would drop a note and give a quick peak into it and then drop a few observations:
Around 50 war games from Avalon Hill, SPI and other companies
Around 40 issues of Strategy & Tactics, each of which included an unpunched war game (some of the games are by TSR which is cool).
Around 6 early issues of Ares, S&I's science fiction journal that also contain unpunched table games.
Several interesting Lord of the Rings table games from the mid to late 1970s.
An unpunched DragonQuest game that I believe was the wargamers response to FRPG that were just emerging at the time.  I understand that this was hugely popular, but ?
A nice, original Traveller boxed set cramed full of other booklets.
Original and unpunched Doctor Who game by Games Workshop from back in the day.
Cool Waterloo war game by Airfix with little plastic figures
An interesting booklet called "Royal Armies of the Hyborean Age; A wargamers guide to the Age of Conan" by Fantasy Games Unlimited.  This was printed in 1975 and is a very interesting find.  It includes a realy cool fold out map of the Hyborean Age.  The rules appear to be a strange mix of war game and RPG.  I need to learn more about this book.

Not a bad haul for what I paid for it.  I would like to sell or trade the unpunched games to collectors and I will keep the punched ones for my son and I to play.  Before becoming a D&D addict, my uncle and I played the war games for many years and I learned a fair bit about history and battlefield strategy and tactics from those game days.  I believe my son (only 7) has a similar interest.

If you know anything about the items listed, please let me know.

Thanks,
Andy

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:53 am 

i know there have been ppl on here looking for that armies of the hyborian age book....

dunno about value tho....dont think it sold for that much last time?

Al

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:30 am 

$20 - $40, depending on condition, and who's looking for one.   :wink:

Let mirth prevail!

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:26 am 

I think it might have been mentioned before, but if somebody is just looking for a copy to read of the Armies of the Hyborean Age, FGU has it listed on their website for $7

http://tinyurl.com/yt73vy

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:41 am 

jasonw1239 wrote:I think it might have been mentioned before, but if somebody is just looking for a copy to read of the Armies of the Hyborean Age, FGU has it listed on their website for $7

http://tinyurl.com/yt73vy

I believe the last person to mention it also said that even though they are still advertising it they are actually sold out.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:28 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
I believe the last person to mention it also said that even though they are still advertising it they are actually sold out.

I received a note in my parcel to say that I got the last two copies.  I had ordered 3 but only received 2.  Both of my copies are in excellent shape and I have now listed it for sale on my website too.  I listed it for $45 but maybe that is too high but I am trying to recoop the $45 in brokerage fees when FGU sent the pacakage using UPS without informing me.  The thread about Chaosium having poor communication / shipping pales in comparison to FGU.   I emailed Scott Bizar about 3 times now and have never received a response.  When ordering my stuff, it says they will send me a shipping quote and method etc - they didn't do this either.  Here's a picture if anyone wants to see what it looks like:

http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~mdtpetri/sa ... borean.jpg

EDIT:  I just added my FGU rant :)

Last edited by Mars on Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:29 pm 

Sounds about right, Mark, given the condition and recent rise in interest.  

I was very happy to get my copy.  It's a really interesting and fun read.

Let mirth prevail!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:18 pm 

Mars wrote:EDIT:  I just added my FGU rant :)

When I ordered from FGU, I was able to get quick responses from the e-mail address provided on the site.  Maybe that gentleman is gone.  :(