(slightly OT) Fake traveller products and zines..maybe..
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 8:02 pm 

HI Guys, This is slightly off topic, but I don't know were else to discuss this...

I bought a rather large number of Traveller zines, some on, most off ebay, all decribed in mint condition. This guy has, I believe, 2 ebay id's as far as I can tell, one he sells some traveler stock with open feedback, the other is one he sells the zines with private feedback (all the zines have an outright buy it now feature not bidding). All the zines were mint however a couple of things stood out, that you could really see when you had a lot of them to compare...

1) Almost all the zines had bright cardboard covers, even issues one, very few of them had the same colour in each set.. this is not really what i would expect

2) Out of all of them, there were various shades of the same sort cardboard across different places and times,  ie there were various shades of blue. There were also quite a few with the same colour. these were from vastly different areas and time. ie a 1984 one made in england had the same cardboard cover as a 1987 one done in the USA

3) The staples (and position of them) and paper were all the same. It also looked like they were all photopied (I would think that some of these would be lithographed back then, just a thought)

4) One of the zines , Dark Star, an Aussie loose leaf zine stapled on left top (since I collect aussie things this was of a lot of interest to me so i took particular notice). the pages had been photocopied, I think these were done i the 90's (mid to late) which is what you would expect, however you could see that it had been stapled, then seperated, then photocopied as you could see the photocopied staple holes (someone hadn't whitened them out) Now this is not what you would expect as you would of course photocopy it before you stapled it...

I bought all these things to the notice of the seller, he just said that is how he bought them (I take it he has multiple coppies of all the zines as I still see him post on ebay) and he new next to nothing about them

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... egory=2547

is the guy this auction is for some folios, which if you read this, seem to imply that they are fake.. as the change in description of these 2 items shows

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3148424951

from

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... egory=2547

Comments?

Brette:)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:19 am 

beasterbrook wrote:HI Guys, This is slightly off topic, but I don't know were else to discuss this...

I bought a rather large number of Traveller zines, some on, most off ebay, all decribed in mint condition. This guy has, I believe, 2 ebay id's as far as I can tell, one he sells some traveler stock with open feedback, the other is one he sells the zines with private feedback (all the zines have an outright buy it now feature not bidding). All the zines were mint however a couple of things stood out, that you could really see when you had a lot of them to compare...

Comments?

I checked out all the links, and it looks pretty fishy to me Brette. The problem with that low quality stuff is that it can be so easily duplicated these days. I have some Canadian gaming mags called The Apprentice from the late 70s/early 80s, and frankly it might take me a day to make multiple copies of all of them at a Kinkos that would look just as authentic.  Seeing as the items aren't selling for very much, I guess it would depend on how much you want the actual product vs just having a copy to read/use.  You could always buy the "official" copies and then compare, they don't look like they are too expensive.

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:08 am 

The last email address I had for Marc Miller was [email protected], but I'm pretty sure that it's not good anymore.  I pinged Steve Jackson to see if he has Marc's current contact info, as well (since Steve was Marc's most recent publisher).

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:36 am 

Badmike wrote:I checked out all the links, and it looks pretty fishy to me Brette. The problem with that low quality stuff is that it can be so easily duplicated these days. I have some Canadian gaming mags called The Apprentice from the late 70s/early 80s, and frankly it might take me a day to make multiple copies of all of them at a Kinkos that would look just as authentic.  Seeing as the items aren't selling for very much, I guess it would depend on how much you want the actual product vs just having a copy to read/use.  You could always buy the "official" copies and then compare, they don't look like they are too expensive.

Mike B.

I know it is very annoying... I think about all the $$ I could make by making coppies of my coverless Jade hares or buying empty covers off ebay and potocoping the insides, there are certain items that can be too easily faked (Adventurers Guild stuff springs to mind I must say). Now this is as bad as photocoping the RPGA modules and selling them or selling pdfs in my mind, however with that you know that it is a copy with this you don't and I would like to know before i paid the $$, I'm really against photocopying, so much so that I won't pay for photopies (in fact why would you, unless to cover costs, its nect worthless!!) and the $$ starts to add up if you purchase a lot of em;)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:47 pm 

Looks like Marc's web site is http://www.farfuture.net/ and it looks like the contact email link is [email protected]

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:58 am 

Hmm.. seems to me this is happening again.. the guy says he had put into storage when he got them. They are too perfect and that is a fake wanderer.. see UK Fanzines - A Quick Enquiry From You Collectors

eBay listings

Buyer beware and all...

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:41 pm 

Those NCRP fanzines don't look quite right either.