UK magazines/fanzines - details sought!
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:28 am 

Hiya folks---

While in Boston last week, I was able to clean out a comic box of UK magazines (and perhaps fanzines?), for free.  They were "junk" so naturally I took them all (well, except for the three Shadis issues, and the scifi non-gaming magazines) :D

Here's what they were:

• The Last Province (issues 3-5, Dec 1992-Aug/Sept 1993)
  • Fantasy Chronicles (issues 3-8, Sept 1986-Feb 1987)
  • d8 (issue 4, Spring 1996)
  • Games Unlimited (issue 2, Aug/Sept 2000)
  • Adventurer (issue 7, Feb 1987)
  • Role Player Independent (issues 2, 3, 6, 9, 11, 15, 16; Jan 1993-Sept? 1994)
  • Arcane (issues 4, 13, 15; Mar 1996, Dec 1996, Jan 1997)
  • Valkyrie (issues 1, 5, 7, 9, 12, 17, 18, 21, 22; Sept 1994-1998?)

Some of them are interesting in their age, and from the POV of putting together more non-TSR info via the ads, and some appear to contain interesting scenarios/articles.  I've heard of/seen several of them (Arcane, Valkyrie, d8), but don't otherwise know much about any of them.  Are any of them particularly noteworthy?

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:57 am 

I don't recall many of these making a huge splash over here, but I'm sure they had their niches at some point.  I think that I have a couple of issues of these lying about somewhere (d8 and Arcane seem really familiar) - I'll have a look later on today if you like.  There's also a new independent rpg magazine started up here (imaginatively called the Independent Roleplaying Magazine, or IRM) that covers a whole bunch of games.  My flgs stocks it and the owner is trying to push it as a bastion of independent UK gaming.  It's not bad - a bit reminiscent of old White Dwarf.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:21 am 

Fantasy Chronicles I think is a magazine published in Ireland.  I kinda like this one but as far as I know there isn't anything terribly exciting in it (I only have a couple of issues).

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:33 pm 

I purchased a set of Adventurer Magazines (by Mersey Leisure Publishing) whilst living in the UK. It ran for 11 issues, with Issue 1 in April of 1986 through June/July 1987. Most issues were about 64 pages in length, with most of the RPG articles for MERP, D&D, Call of Cthulhu, Runequest, etc. It didn't focus on any one system too much. Most early issues included a full colour poster. They talked about issue 12, but I've never seen anything past issue 11. The magazine started out as bi-monthly, went to monthly, and then back to bi-monthly with issue 11, probably because the magazine was in trouble, but that is just speculation on my part. Just to throw a value on them, I'd think picking up the set on Ebay from someone in the UK would set you back less than $50, of course with the crap exchange rate you might pay a bit more. I have a few surplus issues to sell if anyone is interested.

Fantasy Chronicles ran for 9 issues, starting in July 1986, and ending in March 1987. Most issues were about 42 pages in length. As said above, it was published in Ireland (Dublin), and mainly available there and in the UK. The publisher, Fantastic Publication Ltd., doesn't appear to have published much else. Like, Adventurer magazine, it covered most of the popular systems of the time. If it ran past 9 issues I've never seen them mentioned. It's worth about the same as the above, but is a little bit harder to find, unless you go to a used RPG store or used RPG seller at a con in the UK.

I bought both of the above sets because I am a Glorantha/Runequest completist. I have details on the Runequest info on my website, www.glorantha.info in the magazines section. I don't have all of the other articles listed though, just RQ.

Arcane ran for about 20 issues.
Valkyrie ran for about 28 issues.

I'd have to dig out the others you mention. I'm not aware of d8 magazine.

None of them are that hard to get in the UK, but much harder to find over in the US.

Hope that helps,
Rick Meints

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:16 pm 

I agree with your first assessment, Allan, they are all junk!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:24 pm 

yes i have had someof them over time and read them all - didnt really strike me as anything special to be honest.

i liked the imagine mags a lot more.

Al