Most Laughable Role Playing Product
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:31 pm 

sleepyCO wrote:As for useless?  How about all of the hardback 3.5 rulebook/supplements--the IRS tax code is more clear and shorter (and THAT'S hard to believe unless you've seen the Tax Code here in the U.S.!!).  Does anyone really use any or all of those hardback supplements? :?:  :?:  :?:

ROFL. Yeah, but remember 3e was meant to streamline & simplify things ;)

Mount Celestia doesn't want me and Baator's afraid I'll take over.

Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad at the door, Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad, Take one down, they gate in two more, Ninty-nine Blue and Green Slaad at the door...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:17 pm 

Winterwords wrote:
ROFL. Yeah, but remember 3e was meant to streamline & simplify things ;)

Reminds me of the time Congress passed a "Tax Simplification Act" a few years back--the bill was something like 3000 pages long and added   several hundred pages to the Tax Code!!

Remember--"Congress" is the opposite of "Progress" as someone once said! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Last edited by sleepyCO on Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:32 pm 

Badmike wrote:
And ducks as characters aren't any worse than about half the creatures in the Fiend Folio.... :D

Mike B.

Ah, yes....the Fiend Folio.  Definately a mixed bag.  Some classic monsters mixed in with with the bizzare and the useless.

A nice collection of nuisance monsters....except that nuisance monsters are...a nuisance.

One of the best pieces of art in AD&D is in the Fiend Folio....the warrior with the claymore fighting the lizard men.  If

only there had been some challenging lizard men in the book (besides the lizard king, that is...and not very useful since he's supposed to be a unique type encounter).

Interesting how the classics from that book have survived...and some of the worst have also survived as jokes.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:52 pm 

sleepyCO wrote:
Remember--"Congress" is the opposite of "Progress" as someone once said! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

:lol:

A Wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins, nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:24 pm 

My vote for the stupidest RPG product goes to...

...the Tricorder/Sensor Interactive Display that was put out by FASA for their Star Trek RPG.

"D21: He's dead, Jim"

Allen

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:45 am 

FormCritic wrote:
Ah, yes....the Fiend Folio.  Definately a mixed bag.  Some classic monsters mixed in with with the bizzare and the useless.

A nice collection of nuisance monsters....except that nuisance monsters are...a nuisance.

One of the best pieces of art in AD&D is in the Fiend Folio....the warrior with the claymore fighting the lizard men.  If

only there had been some challenging lizard men in the book (besides the lizard king, that is...and not very useful since he's supposed to be a unique type encounter).

Interesting how the classics from that book have survived...and some of the worst have also survived as jokes.

Mark   8)

bah fiend folio is one of my fave books and i dip into it with regularity in my games.

mark: youre right with the warrior pic - classic art. i agree that some of the creatures in it are pretty silly, but generally, i think a fair number of them are cool for quality encounters.

i still despise the WSG and the DSG. you won't ever get me to agree that they are worthy of any use, at any point of the day.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:16 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
bah fiend folio is one of my fave books and i dip into it with regularity in my games.

mark: youre right with the warrior pic - classic art. i agree that some of the creatures in it are pretty silly, but generally, i think a fair number of them are cool for quality encounters.

i still despise the WSG and the DSG. you won't ever get me to agree that they are worthy of any use, at any point of the day.

Al

I cannot think of a single good thing to say about either the Wilderness Survival Guide or the Dungeoneers Survival Guide.

I guess there was a picture of a female adventurer dressed only in a medieval teddy, fighting off a squirrel.  That's pretty much it.

The Fiend Folio was so...British.  It struck Americans as rather lurid and silly.  Early White Dwarf was like that a lot.

Still...Charles Straun and the classic monsters.....  8O

Mark

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:27 am 

FormCritic wrote:
The Fiend Folio was so...British.  It struck Americans as rather lurid and silly.  Early White Dwarf was like that a lot.

Mark

I could respond that a lot of lurid & silly things have come from the US too, but it is their lurid & silliness that is the point, not their nationality.

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:23 pm 

:D

good comeback :)

seriously though. the WSG and the DSG were just so unnecessary. i can only imagine that they were another rulebook to make more money and thats it.

i never once ever found anything useful in them to work with that i liked for my game.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Last edited by killjoy32 on Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:23 pm 

sleepyCO wrote:
Nice to know that someone likes the "golf ball"--I also have two of those along with a d5, d7, d14, d16, and a few other unusual ones.  I also have a stuffed (plush) d6, d10, d12, and a large d20; when I asked (innocently) what they were used for (why would one need a d20 that's about the size of a NCAA women's basketball ), I was told that it could be used to throw at a sleeping player or DM to get their attention (roll 5 or more on a d20, no Dexterity bonus to the attacked one, automatic surprise :lol:  :lol: ).

I have one of those huge plush d20s, as well as a whole tube of smaller plush dice.  I am in jealous awe of your d5, d7, d14 and d16, though.  Too cool :D...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:06 pm 

red_bus wrote:
I could respond that a lot of lurid & silly things have come from the US too, but it is their lurid & silliness that is the point, not their nationality.

Don't be offended.  I mean specifically British style lurid and silly...just as the Japanese, Germans, Americans or any other nationality have their own style of odd and humorous things.

The artwork from British fantasy publications has now become standard fantasy artwork.  (Specifically...what morphed into the artwork of Warhammer which became the basic artwork style of World of Warcraft and that can also be seen to a certain extent in 3rd edition D&D publications.)

But, back when the Fiend Folio first appeared, this distinctly British art style looked strange, unsettling and somewhat gruesome to Americans.....thus the word "lurid."

I suspect that British role-playing in general had more gloom and horror in its American counterpart.  The grim worlds of Michael Moorcock and the horror atmosphere of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying would be good examples.

The silliness of the Fiend Folio also had the flavor of British silly.  The British are fond of silly names in particular...and the Fiend Folio was packed with them.  (The same love of silly names or amusing wordplays can be seen in the daffy names for people and creatures in  the Harry Potter novels...including the Pigeon Latin names of most of the spells.)

These factors made the Fiend Folio feel more than a bit odd to American readers.  Can you name another TSR publication that was negatively reviewed in Dragon magazine?

I suppose that American lurid and silly would be things like super hero comics and Keebler elves.  A nice example of American silly might be The Village of Hommlet, which seems to pose the comical question, "What if Kenosha, Wisconsin had a medieval fair and heavily armed psychotics showed up and acted like it was all real?"

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:00 pm 

No worries Mark - thanks.  In retrospect I ought to have put a smil-ey or wink-ey thingy at the end, deadpan responses can look very serious  :D   And of course, yes, there are plenty of silly names there  :lol:

Let's go fly a kite

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:27 am 

I am interested in the evolution of fantasy art.

The first orcs were small and had pig noses...as depicted in the Holmes Basic Set.  This was an addition to Tolkien, who never described orc facial features.  

Tolkien's orcs Uruk-hai were tall because they were cross-bred with humans.  Tolkien specifically described the "smaller" orcs from the Misty Mountains as "goblins."  

I wondered where the pig noses came from until I saw Disney's Sleeping Beauty, where the evil queen's minions had exactly the same porcine snouts.

There was an episode of the cartoon series He-Man and the Masters of the Universe where the villan's "orc guards" had snouts and grunted and snorted like pigs in between words.

Then, there was Jabba the Hut's fortress in Return of the Jedi, where guards that looked very much like D&D orcs grunted, slobbered and even squealed in terror like pigs...clearly strongly influenced by D&D.

Slowly, the British depiction of orcs, typical of Games Workshop, has won out.  Warhammer led the way, as did the popularity of "orks" in Warhammer 40,000.  Blizzard's Warcraft picked up the British art style, which has become world famous with World of Warcraft.

Orcs are now commonly drawn the British way.  Their skin has gone from reddish brown to green.  They are tall muscle men with mohawks (the original D&D orcs were 5' to 6' tall).  Orcs generally now talk with variations on Cockney accents.  (A throwback to the trolls in The Hobbit, whose crude speech is actually mentioned in the text by Tolkien.)

Interesting....to me.   :?

Mark   8)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:15 am 

Okay, I have absolutely no clue as to exactly what this is, but this has to belong in this thread:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Buttery-Wholesomnes ... dZViewItem

:?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:57 am 

killjoy32 wrote:

Al

I agree with Al.

These monsters from Fiend Folio are interesting and give players great challenge. But I don't use too much of them...
There was a guy asking for advices in DragonFoot to switch the FFolio monsters for more classics monsters in the UK2 and UK3 modules (the Sentinel & the Gauntlet). That is a pity IMO, these 2 modules are a good example of how use the Fiend Folio.
About WSG and DSG, I have the same feeling.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:20 am 

Hey Mark.

I am not an art historian, but I think that human/animal hybrids, or humanoids which are mostly human with some animal features have been a feature of art for millennia.  Think ancient Egyptian art with the part-human gods displayed in carvings on temple walls.  I reckon that in these cases, we invest the creature with the characteristics of the animals in question - so the Minotaur was strong like a Bull etc...  Move up to depicting Tolkien's orcs, and the piglike noses make sense, these are dirty, omnivorous, stupid*, squalid beasts - like pigs.  You could imagine them with (for example) hyena faces, too but not with say, cat or cow faces.  Generally the more intelligent a creature is the more human appearing artists have tended to depict it - for example, many of the artist renditions of the trolls from the Hobbit are more humanlike than the depictions of trolls from the Lord of the Rings.  Why, because they talked, had a discussion and thought (even if a bit dimly  :D ).  In the Lord  of the Rings, the trolls are just huge killing machines, so they are tend to be depicted less human-like in appearance.

As to what is happening now - well you are on your own there mate.  I don't buy video games or watch many hollywood (fantasy) movies or even buy lots of new 3.5E games, so am not really following what is happening.  It does seem that gaming art is more detailed and lavish - no more thin line sketches, it's all colour 'wham' on the page. It also follows an increasingly narcissistic trait, where every physical figure is 120% perfect in appearance.  Very comic-book.  Which is kind of ironic, as many countries slide into widespread obesity, our depiction of human(like) figures is becoming more idealised and physically 'perfect'.  :roll:

Any help?  Do let us know how your thoughts develop, I agree, it is an  interesting area, perhaps we tend to focus on rules too much rather than art - which actually has a strong impact on how people play.  

* yes, pigs are more intelligent that cats and dogs, it is the impression not the actuality that is being transferred.

Let's go fly a kite

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:41 am 

My ex was a human-animal hybrid. Looked like a dog, spent money like a human.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:09 am 

bclarkie wrote:Okay, I have absolutely no clue as to exactly what this is, but this has to belong in this thread:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

:?

It's a supplement to the Hol (Human-Occupied Landfill) RPG.  Hol and Buttery Wholesomeness take place on a somewhat nasty planet.  The interior pages are insane.

PreviousNext