Most Laughable Role Playing Product
Author

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:42 pm 

I picked up a copy of RuneQuest: Eldarad the Lost City, not perturbed by the less than shining reveiw:

http://www.glorantha.info/runequest/ava ... darad.html

I thought it can't be that bad. It is!

I love watching old B grade SciFi movies. Sometimes they make me laugh (has anyone seen Robot Monster for example?)

This Supplement actually made me laugh. The concept is ridiculous. The maps are ridiculous. There is one entitled 'The Alchemical Workshop of Sylus Lun," which has a tiny little five room floor plan with a few doors and two fireplaces on an otherwise blank and empty page. The artwork looks like it was done by a 10 year old. The writing is baaaad. It actually made me laugh out loud (and I have by no means finished reading it yet) like the old B grade movies.

So that is my nomination. Any others nominees for 'so bad it is funny' role playing product?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:12 pm 

XL1 Quest for the Heartstone.

This sort of thing gave TSR a bad name - brought out to support some action figures - IIRC the review in White Dwarf was less than complimentary!!!

(great thread btw - hopefully this will run and run!)

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:26 pm 

The cover picture for the Book of Treasure Maps by Judges Guild.  :D

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:29 pm 

Ironhoof Highlands.

This product of refugees from Judges Guild gives a new meaning to the word, "dud."

Almost incredibly vapid.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:37 pm 

FormCritic wrote:Ironhoof Highlands.

This product of refugees from Judges Guild gives a new meaning to the word, "dud."

Almost incredibly vapid.

Ironhoof Highlands is horrific. Is that the one with the picture of the "alien" monster attacking the barbarian?  Ugh.

I've voted for this before...Judges Guilds "Under the Storm Giant Castle".  Terrible maps and artwork.  Dumb "monster hotel" approach.  Some of the absolute worst original monsters to grace an RPG product (love the Balloon Men...which are, you guessed it, living rubber balloons...).  Dumb plotline.   Dumb premise. Dumb, Dumb, Dumb......

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:55 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Ironhoof Highlands is horrific. Is that the one with the picture of the "alien" monster attacking the barbarian?  Ugh.

I've voted for this before...Judges Guilds "Under the Storm Giant Castle".  Terrible maps and artwork.  Dumb "monster hotel" approach.  Some of the absolute worst original monsters to grace an RPG product (love the Balloon Men...which are, you guessed it, living rubber balloons...).  Dumb plotline.   Dumb premise. Dumb, Dumb, Dumb......

Mike B.

Mike is the author of the infamous (to me) "Post-It Note Heard Round The World."

A Post-It Note attached to Under the Storm Giant's Castle made it all the way from Texas to  Mattias Bock's living room in Germany to the eyes of the actual author of the module...who wondered what sucked about his adventure on the Judges Guild forums.

Under the Storm Giant's Castle was missing the two things that might have made it a great module....storm giants and a castle.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:00 am 

Beyondthebreach wrote:The cover picture for the Book of Treasure Maps by Judges Guild.  :D

Interestingly, though, the interior contains a series of excellent mini-adventures. But, yes, that cover is appalling. It's the same sort of mind-set, I'd guess, that led to TSR deciding to use actual photographs of its employees for a Spellfire set. There's nothing like real-world, modern photography to totally kill the mood for fantasy gaming.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:06 am 

The Book of Treasure Maps was, perhaps , my first collector's purchase.  I got it for 99 cents at Goodwill, back in the 80's.

If only I'd known...some of the things I passed on!  Ach!

Ex:  "Elric boardgame....hmm...why would I want that?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:14 am 

FormCritic wrote:
Mike is the author of the infamous (to me) "Post-It Note Heard Round The World."

A Post-It Note attached to Under the Storm Giant's Castle made it all the way from Texas to  Mattias Bock's living room in Germany to the eyes of the actual author of the module...who wondered what sucked about his adventure on the Judges Guild forums.

Under the Storm Giant's Castle was missing the two things that might have made it a great module....storm giants and a castle.

That always cracks me up, Mark.  Can't believe my comments have made such an impression, and after so many years (I think I wrote my original review for that module sometime in the early 90s).  Speaking of which I wish Matthias Bock would pop up again someday.  I must have sold him ten truckloads of stuff in the old AOL forum days,  I wonder if he still has most of it.  A lot of it was one of a kind stuff...
  Speaking of really bad JG stuff, there is a JG module (Tower of Ulisson?) that ends up being...a bad dream. That's right, at the end of the module, you have to annouce to your players that you are taking the "Bobby Ewing in the Shower" way out  and everyone wakes up, none the worse for wear.  Would anyone in their wildest dreams ever run an adventure that ended up being a dream? "Sorry guys, heh heh heh, but all that magic and treasure you found?  All the monsters you killed?  It was just some bad chili giving you bad dreams.  Never really happened."  My players would have tarred, feathered, and then skinned me alive if I had tried to pull that. I actually remember throwing the module across the room in disgust when I read it for the first time about 15 years ago....!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:25 am 

Badmike wrote:
FormCritic wrote:

That always cracks me up, Mark.  Can't believe my comments have made such an impression, and after so many years (I think I wrote my original review for that module sometime in the early 90s)

Hey how did I miss this story?  Was this posted here before and I missed it or was it posted someplace else?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:07 am 

Hey now, show some love for Judges Guild :D
Ironhoof was Group One...
Book of Treasure Maps picture is Jaquay's silliness.
And you got to love #93 Under the Storm Giants Castle - I've done some Return to with this and probably should get back to it (and yes it has the castle).

Not trying to be serious (except Return to USGC), you have to laugh at some of these things sometime. Or better yet, I guess I just live by my sig line.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:13 am 

Badmike wrote:

Speaking of really bad JG stuff, there is a JG module (Tower of Ulisson?) that ends up being...a bad dream. That's right, at the end of the module, you have to annouce to your players that you are taking the "Bobby Ewing in the Shower" way out  and everyone wakes up, none the worse for wear.  Would anyone in their wildest dreams ever run an adventure that ended up being a dream? "Sorry guys, heh heh heh, but all that magic and treasure you found?  All the monsters you killed?  It was just some bad chili giving you bad dreams.  Never really happened."  My players would have tarred, feathered, and then skinned me alive if I had tried to pull that. I actually remember throwing the module across the room in disgust when I read it for the first time about 15 years ago....!

Mike B.

A DM actually did that to us in a 2E AD&D Campaign.  We were miffed about the magic items we really didn't find but we did get Xps so it wasn't too bad...

Politician, Tree, Rope...Some Assembly Required

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:20 am 

Would the 100-sided percentile die qualify?  I got one in a lot I won on ebay.  It's like a fricken' golf ball.

Let mirth prevail!

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:54 am 

My vote would be the 1978 Chaosium publication of 'Real Magic' by Isaac Bonewits. The picture of the goofball author looking 'pompous' complete with pipe clenched between his teeth is hilarious.

It was no doubt items like this that helped feed the late 70's early 80's D&D=Satanism hysteria...

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:31 pm 

jasonw1239 wrote:My vote would be the 1978 Chaosium publication of 'Real Magic' by Isaac Bonewits.

And do you have the reprint too?

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:36 pm 

ExTSR wrote:

And do you have the reprint too?

No, but somebody has a reprint on eBay now for $1.99

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Real-Magic-by-Isaac- ... 0077966182

If I recall they changed the photo of the author to something less goofy.  :)

Secrets of Tibet

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:29 pm 

Hmmm... now I am not sure if I recalled the correct title of the book by that author (Isaac Bonewits). Further checking on my part indicates that the Chaosium publication was 'Authentic Thaumaturgy'. The item that I remembered was the first edition of 'Real Magic'. :oops:

They were both marketed as providing information for developing magic systems for role playing games.

BTW I am not saying that the book is terrible, just the authors photo that they chose to print with it.   :)

Secrets of Tibet

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:13 pm 

jasonw1239 wrote:

No, but somebody has a reprint on eBay now for $1.99

** expired/removed eBay auction **

If I recall they changed the photo of the author to something less goofy.  :)

I like the pitch on the cover "Bonewits is witty and possessed of a mind that looks around corners"

I may try to start a dud section to my collection to rival my pre-1980s sci fi collection  :)

I think they should edit the cover pitch to "Bonewits is boney and witty and possessed of a mind that looks around corners" or perhaps "Boneywitty has bones and wits, he clenches his pipe as he proudly sits...."

Next