Kenzer and Company?
Author

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:11 am 

Can anyone tell me a little more about this outfit?

I just picked up a copy of Module RB1 "Secret Temple of Adajy"

I have looked at Afterglow and Afterglow2 and note that their products lists and codes different a fair bit.

There seems to be some early stuff (on Afterglow), followed by some modules (on both sites), followed by a Kalamar series (only Afterglow2).

Does anyone know of this outfit is still publishing / releasing new products? I understand that they released a comic strip / comics as well?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:30 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:Can anyone tell me a little more about this outfit?

I just picked up a copy of Module RB1 "Secret Temple of Adajy"

I have looked at Afterglow and Afterglow2 and note that their products lists and codes different a fair bit.

There seems to be some early stuff (on Afterglow), followed by some modules (on both sites), followed by a Kalamar series (only Afterglow2).

Does anyone know of this outfit is still publishing / releasing new products? I understand that they released a comic strip / comics as well?

http://www.kenzerco.com/

Yeah they are very much in buisness, the old stuff on the afterglow site was before they started the Hackmaster/d20 lines.

Yes to answer all 3 questions at once :wink:

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:20 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:Can anyone tell me a little more about this outfit?

The RB1 module is one that came out before they started the big push into all D20 Kalamar D&D stuff.  I think it is one of the full size modules.   The also released a Kalamar boxed set and a number of thin digest sized adventures.  Later with the release of D20, they put out a Kalamar hardcover campaign setting and revised the digest sized modules into fullsize D20 Kalamar adventures - usually 2 digest sized mods per fullsize.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:17 am 

Harvest of Darknessis a collection of four of the digest-sized adventures, updated and (quasi-) connected for 3.xE.

Lands of Mysteryis the other one that combines four more.

Aldriv's Revengeand Deathright are updates of previous (1E/2E) modules.

All others were originally published after the liscencing deal with WOTC.

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:15 pm 

Hi all,

Thanks for all that info.

So then as I understand it, their first lot of products were:

1. Kingdoms of Kalamar - Boxed Set
2. Source Book of the Sovreign Lands
3. Mythos of the Divine and Worldly
4. The Maps of Kalamar

(with 2-4, being the same as item 1 without the box)

BR1 Tragedy in the House of Brodelin
RB1 Secret Temple of Adajy
GMW1 Gamemasters Worksop Vol 1., Beneath the Waves

And after that came the D20 D&D Kalamar Hardcover re-release.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:15 pm 

There is also a number of mini-modules in digest size, 10 or 12 of them.

Then came the Hardcover D20 book and the D20 modules that compiled and revised the mini-modules.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:08 pm 

There's at least one D20 module of theirs that is now out-of-print (and it's a good one, too): The Lost Tomb of Kruk-ma-Kali.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:32 am 

Lost Tomb of Kruk-Ma-Kali is only available from Kenzer in PDF format now, although a couple copies are currently available on ebay.

The cheapest one is going for $11.99 USD.

Awesome adventure: First they have to confirm the tomb exists, find out where it's located, trek to the tomb (avoiding/killing monsters), avoid the dragon that claims the area of the entrance to the tomb as its territory, get in, avoid traps, and get out alive.

Big Spoiler Below:

If they get out with the artifact-quality sword at the end, their characters and the world are done - it's a campaign ender.

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:13 am 

dcas wrote:There's at least one D20 module of theirs that is now out-of-print (and it's a good one, too): The Lost Tomb of Kruk-ma-Kali.

Much thanks for the praise!

Little secret about Kruk-Ma-Kali: it was originally scheduled to be among the second group of Kalamar Quests, the digest-sized adventures, originally with just the tomb. Then it grew to include the Great Valley and the lands around, and the concept transformed into a trilogy of digest adventures: the journey to the Great Valley, the journey through the Great Valley to the tomb, and the actual tomb itself. I wrote the actual tomb adventure over a period of two weeks in late '98 while recovering from surgery...

Though I originally set out to write my own "Tomb of Horrors," I think the pain I suffered from the surgery contributed even further to the vindictive nature of some of the traps...  :lol:

Then I left Kenzer & Company in '99, and moved on to other things. I left the completed tomb, the mostly completed valley, and the outline of the adventure with KenzerCo... and I thought I'd never see it again, and that it would just disappear into their files.

Imagine my surprise when I saw a solicitation for the Lost Tomb in a catalog several years later! I think Don did a good job with converting it (it was originally designed "for use with everyone's favorite fantasy role-playing game," like all pre-3E Kalamar products) and filling out the other segments.

Of the projects I did for Kenzer, I'm most proud of Lost Tomb. I think it stands up to any other adventure from WotC, and was as "Old School" as could be.

I also edited and expanded the first four Kalamar Quests (the digests). I edited all four of them, too. I designed the entire city of Bronish in "Unguarded Hoard" (pages 7 to 16 are mine entirely). I edited "The Hungry Undead" and completely redesigned the Sharjani. I designed the disease system and diseases included in "Night of the Rotlord" (pages 7 to 16), which was later adapted as the system for HackMaster. And I wrote all of the descriptions of the taverns, inns, temples and such in "The Sirocco's Kiss" (pages 7 to 16, again...).

I've done a lot of stuff since then, but really, Lost Tomb is the thing I'm most proud of among the accomplishments I've had in this industry. I'd love to see Kenzer do a printed Hacked version of it for HackMaster, or even a revision for D&D 3.5... not that I get any money out of it, just to see it on the shelves again, and hear the screams of horror of more players... er, characters...  :twisted:

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:10 am 

Great! Thanks for posting!

It is fantastic to get some inside info from the author. Your works are now on my 'must buy' list. I look forward to getting hold of them and reading them.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:50 am 

Yeah I picked up the $11.99 one off Ebay.. :) so can't wait to read it.

ShaneG.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:44 am 

Yeah I picked up the $11.99 one off Ebay ...

Hmmm ... hope it was worth the read.  I went out and did a little searching on eBay and found one for $4.95.  Wound up being part of a group of eight Kalamar items I picked up from the same seller for a little over $50 ... mix of hardcover reference books and softcover modules.

YIM  

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:57 pm 

WereSteve wrote:Yeah I picked up the $11.99 one off Ebay ...

Hmmm ... hope it was worth the read.  I went out and did a little searching on eBay and found one for $4.95.  Wound up being part of a group of eight Kalamar items I picked up from the same seller for a little over $50 ... mix of hardcover reference books and softcover modules.

5 months ago it might have had an Acaeum effect on it....currently there is a BIN one for 5.99 with 2.99 shipping

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:10 pm 

Mars wrote:There is also a number of mini-modules in digest size, 10 or 12 of them.

Then came the Hardcover D20 book and the D20 modules that compiled and revised the mini-modules.

Eight.  I just sold the last two in the series on ebay. But they were reprinted in full size expanded format as some of their Kalamar releases, can;t remember which ones

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:42 pm 

The Lost Tomb of Kruk-ma-Kali (3.5 Ed version) is currently available via POD in perfect bound format from Lulu.com for $20.

I picked up a copy from Lulu a year or so ago, when K&Co made several out of print books available via POD at Lulu.  

I've flipped through it, and it looks good.  I just haven't had a chance, or a need, to delve into in greater detail.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:56 pm 

Hmmm, I had no idea you'd written that James, thanks for the tip :D

I've got an original Kalamar box set, but it seems to be missing one or two of the maps, I think.  Anyone have a checklist of what maps should be in the box??

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:06 pm 

grodog wrote:Hmmm, I had no idea you'd written that James, thanks for the tip :D

I've got an original Kalamar box set, but it seems to be missing one or two of the maps, I think.  Anyone have a checklist of what maps should be in the box??

Only know it was a two part map, I only have the books from that set though.

ShaneG.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:16 am 

5 months ago it might have had an Acaeum effect on it....

True ... but ... with the onslaught of 4E I am hoping that prices on OOP d20 material keeps on dropping as I would like to fill a few more holes in my KoK collection plus investigate some other material.

YIM  
Next