Kenzer and Company?
Author

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:11 am 

Can anyone tell me a little more about this outfit?

I just picked up a copy of Module RB1 "Secret Temple of Adajy"

I have looked at Afterglow and Afterglow2 and note that their products lists and codes different a fair bit.

There seems to be some early stuff (on Afterglow), followed by some modules (on both sites), followed by a Kalamar series (only Afterglow2).

Does anyone know of this outfit is still publishing / releasing new products? I understand that they released a comic strip / comics as well?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:30 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:Can anyone tell me a little more about this outfit?

I just picked up a copy of Module RB1 "Secret Temple of Adajy"

I have looked at Afterglow and Afterglow2 and note that their products lists and codes different a fair bit.

There seems to be some early stuff (on Afterglow), followed by some modules (on both sites), followed by a Kalamar series (only Afterglow2).

Does anyone know of this outfit is still publishing / releasing new products? I understand that they released a comic strip / comics as well?

http://www.kenzerco.com/

Yeah they are very much in buisness, the old stuff on the afterglow site was before they started the Hackmaster/d20 lines.

Yes to answer all 3 questions at once :wink:

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:20 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:Can anyone tell me a little more about this outfit?

The RB1 module is one that came out before they started the big push into all D20 Kalamar D&D stuff.  I think it is one of the full size modules.   The also released a Kalamar boxed set and a number of thin digest sized adventures.  Later with the release of D20, they put out a Kalamar hardcover campaign setting and revised the digest sized modules into fullsize D20 Kalamar adventures - usually 2 digest sized mods per fullsize.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:17 am 

Harvest of Darknessis a collection of four of the digest-sized adventures, updated and (quasi-) connected for 3.xE.

Lands of Mysteryis the other one that combines four more.

Aldriv's Revengeand Deathright are updates of previous (1E/2E) modules.

All others were originally published after the liscencing deal with WOTC.

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:15 pm 

Hi all,

Thanks for all that info.

So then as I understand it, their first lot of products were:

1. Kingdoms of Kalamar - Boxed Set
2. Source Book of the Sovreign Lands
3. Mythos of the Divine and Worldly
4. The Maps of Kalamar

(with 2-4, being the same as item 1 without the box)

BR1 Tragedy in the House of Brodelin
RB1 Secret Temple of Adajy
GMW1 Gamemasters Worksop Vol 1., Beneath the Waves

And after that came the D20 D&D Kalamar Hardcover re-release.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:15 pm 

There is also a number of mini-modules in digest size, 10 or 12 of them.

Then came the Hardcover D20 book and the D20 modules that compiled and revised the mini-modules.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:08 pm 

There's at least one D20 module of theirs that is now out-of-print (and it's a good one, too): The Lost Tomb of Kruk-ma-Kali.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:32 am 

Lost Tomb of Kruk-Ma-Kali is only available from Kenzer in PDF format now, although a couple copies are currently available on ebay.

The cheapest one is going for $11.99 USD.

Awesome adventure: First they have to confirm the tomb exists, find out where it's located, trek to the tomb (avoiding/killing monsters), avoid the dragon that claims the area of the entrance to the tomb as its territory, get in, avoid traps, and get out alive.

Big Spoiler Below:

If they get out with the artifact-quality sword at the end, their characters and the world are done - it's a campaign ender.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:13 am 

dcas wrote:There's at least one D20 module of theirs that is now out-of-print (and it's a good one, too): The Lost Tomb of Kruk-ma-Kali.

Much thanks for the praise!

Little secret about Kruk-Ma-Kali: it was originally scheduled to be among the second group of Kalamar Quests, the digest-sized adventures, originally with just the tomb. Then it grew to include the Great Valley and the lands around, and the concept transformed into a trilogy of digest adventures: the journey to the Great Valley, the journey through the Great Valley to the tomb, and the actual tomb itself. I wrote the actual tomb adventure over a period of two weeks in late '98 while recovering from surgery...

Though I originally set out to write my own "Tomb of Horrors," I think the pain I suffered from the surgery contributed even further to the vindictive nature of some of the traps...  :lol:

Then I left Kenzer & Company in '99, and moved on to other things. I left the completed tomb, the mostly completed valley, and the outline of the adventure with KenzerCo... and I thought I'd never see it again, and that it would just disappear into their files.

Imagine my surprise when I saw a solicitation for the Lost Tomb in a catalog several years later! I think Don did a good job with converting it (it was originally designed "for use with everyone's favorite fantasy role-playing game," like all pre-3E Kalamar products) and filling out the other segments.

Of the projects I did for Kenzer, I'm most proud of Lost Tomb. I think it stands up to any other adventure from WotC, and was as "Old School" as could be.

I also edited and expanded the first four Kalamar Quests (the digests). I edited all four of them, too. I designed the entire city of Bronish in "Unguarded Hoard" (pages 7 to 16 are mine entirely). I edited "The Hungry Undead" and completely redesigned the Sharjani. I designed the disease system and diseases included in "Night of the Rotlord" (pages 7 to 16), which was later adapted as the system for HackMaster. And I wrote all of the descriptions of the taverns, inns, temples and such in "The Sirocco's Kiss" (pages 7 to 16, again...).

I've done a lot of stuff since then, but really, Lost Tomb is the thing I'm most proud of among the accomplishments I've had in this industry. I'd love to see Kenzer do a printed Hacked version of it for HackMaster, or even a revision for D&D 3.5... not that I get any money out of it, just to see it on the shelves again, and hear the screams of horror of more players... er, characters...  :twisted:

James

James Mishler
James Mishler Games

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:10 am 

Great! Thanks for posting!

It is fantastic to get some inside info from the author. Your works are now on my 'must buy' list. I look forward to getting hold of them and reading them.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:50 am 

Yeah I picked up the $11.99 one off Ebay.. :) so can't wait to read it.

ShaneG.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:44 am 

Yeah I picked up the $11.99 one off Ebay ...

Hmmm ... hope it was worth the read.  I went out and did a little searching on eBay and found one for $4.95.  Wound up being part of a group of eight Kalamar items I picked up from the same seller for a little over $50 ... mix of hardcover reference books and softcover modules.

YIM  

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:57 pm 

WereSteve wrote:Yeah I picked up the $11.99 one off Ebay ...

Hmmm ... hope it was worth the read.  I went out and did a little searching on eBay and found one for $4.95.  Wound up being part of a group of eight Kalamar items I picked up from the same seller for a little over $50 ... mix of hardcover reference books and softcover modules.

5 months ago it might have had an Acaeum effect on it....currently there is a BIN one for 5.99 with 2.99 shipping

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:10 pm 

Mars wrote:There is also a number of mini-modules in digest size, 10 or 12 of them.

Then came the Hardcover D20 book and the D20 modules that compiled and revised the mini-modules.

Eight.  I just sold the last two in the series on ebay. But they were reprinted in full size expanded format as some of their Kalamar releases, can;t remember which ones

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:42 pm 

The Lost Tomb of Kruk-ma-Kali (3.5 Ed version) is currently available via POD in perfect bound format from Lulu.com for $20.

I picked up a copy from Lulu a year or so ago, when K&Co made several out of print books available via POD at Lulu.  

I've flipped through it, and it looks good.  I just haven't had a chance, or a need, to delve into in greater detail.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:56 pm 

Hmmm, I had no idea you'd written that James, thanks for the tip :D

I've got an original Kalamar box set, but it seems to be missing one or two of the maps, I think.  Anyone have a checklist of what maps should be in the box??

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:06 pm 

grodog wrote:Hmmm, I had no idea you'd written that James, thanks for the tip :D

I've got an original Kalamar box set, but it seems to be missing one or two of the maps, I think.  Anyone have a checklist of what maps should be in the box??

Only know it was a two part map, I only have the books from that set though.

ShaneG.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:16 am 

5 months ago it might have had an Acaeum effect on it....

True ... but ... with the onslaught of 4E I am hoping that prices on OOP d20 material keeps on dropping as I would like to fill a few more holes in my KoK collection plus investigate some other material.

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:27 pm 

JZavoda wrote:

Eight.  I just sold the last two in the series on ebay. But they were reprinted in full size expanded format as some of their Kalamar releases, can;t remember which ones

Yep. Sold 'em to me. Filled the last hole in my pre-D20 Kalamar Collection.

Feedback on the way via Ebay....(Sorry it's late).

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:45 pm 

JZavoda wrote:
Eight.  I just sold the last two in the series on ebay. But they were reprinted in full size expanded format as some of their Kalamar releases.

This might make the digest sized little books future collectibles.  They are getting harder to find too.

Next