Avalon Hill, SPI, ICE Strategy Games - Any Collectors?
Author

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:55 am 

Just curious, do many here complement their RPG collections with the old strategic bookshelf games from Avalon Hill and others?

While I mainly collect RPGs and these form the bulk of my collection, I have been collecting old bookshelf games specifically with a fantasy or science fiction focus. I rarely get to play them, but do enjoy them immensely.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:57 am 

When I began collecting Traveller a couple of years ago I was using http://www.travellerbibliography.org/ as a resource.  I realized that some of the items on the list were not rulebooks, supplements, or adventures but were instead strategy board games that tied into the historical background of the game.  I figured they could only make the game more interesting so I picked up Invasion: Earth, Fifth Frontier War, Dark Nebula, Azhanti High Lightning, and Mayday.  I liked the games so much that it piqued my interest in other similar games.  I picked up SPI's War of the Ring not too long ago and also have an interest in other Tolkien inspired strategy games.

Spending countless hours checking out www.boardgamegeek.com has also given me some ideas as to some other games I wouldnt mind acquiring such as Divine Right, Outreach, Stellar Conquest, Dune, John Carter Warlord of Mars, and Starship Troopers.  I also have an interest in the Dwarfstar line of games.  I rarely see any of them on Ebay though.  :(

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:02 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:Just curious, do many here complement their RPG collections with the old strategic bookshelf games from Avalon Hill and others?

While I mainly collect RPGs and these form the bulk of my collection, I have been collecting old bookshelf games specifically with a fantasy or science fiction focus. I rarely get to play them, but do enjoy them immensely.

Yes I do this as well, most of my Avalon Hill games are Fantasy related but I still have heaps of war games as well.  Also who could forget the ultimate challege to avoid starvation----Outdoor Survival :lol:

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:09 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:....

Spending countless hours checking out www.boardgamegeek.com has also given me some ideas as to some other games I wouldnt mind acquiring such as Divine Right, Outreach, Stellar Conquest, Dune, John Carter Warlord of Mars, and Starship Troopers.  I also have an interest in the Dwarfstar line of games.  I rarely see any of them on Ebay though.  :(

You might be interested in this...http://dwarfstar.brainiac.com/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:36 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Spending countless hours checking out www.boardgamegeek.com has also given me some ideas as to some other games I wouldnt mind acquiring such as Divine Right, Outreach, Stellar Conquest, Dune, John Carter Warlord of Mars, and Starship Troopers.  I also have an interest in the Dwarfstar line of games.  I rarely see any of them on Ebay though.  :(

I have a complete Barbarian Prince if you want it! :D

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:04 pm 

Ah. Good to see some others see the beauty in these games. After all it seems 'Outdoor Survival' started it all!

I currently own:

Outdoor Survival
Dragonhunt
Elric
Titan
Amoeba Wars
Mystic Wood
Wizard's Quest
Samurai
Freedom in the Galaxy
Diplomacy
Magic Realm
Starship Troopers
Feudal

I also have all the Powers and Perils items (which takes pride of place nest to my 'Adventures in Fantasy' Set!), some RQ and all Lords Of Creation bar one item
I have Riddle of the Ring and Fellowship of the Ring from ICE

The one I have played the most is Titan, which I still enjoy (if only I can get someone to play it with me!)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:48 pm 

IttyBitty wrote:
You might be interested in this...http://dwarfstar.brainiac.com/

I actually noticed that site a couple of months ago after I checked out a link for http://maverick.brainiac.com/cmm/mic.html.  Has some good information.

Another cool thing about the Dwarfstar site is you can download some of the games.  Lose some pieces or part of a map...no problem.  :)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:41 pm 

What's interesting is that many of the years most of us would probably consider to be the "classic" era for D&D were also years that produced some really great boardgames/wargames.

Many have been mentioned above, but I'll add my own shout-outs for Dune, War of the Ring, the Metagaming microgames line, many of the Traveller-based boardgames, Cosmic Encounter, and even pure wargames such as Empires of the Middle Ages.

Kingofpain89 wrote:Another cool thing about the Dwarfstar site is you can download some of the games.  Lose some pieces or part of a map...no problem.  :)

My first big eBay "coup" was to finally get my hands on all eight Dwarfstar games, unpunched. I gave myself a year to do it, and, IIRC, it actually took about seven months. And, of course, I later sold them all ... :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:00 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:My first big eBay "coup" was to finally get my hands on all eight Dwarfstar games, unpunched. I gave myself a year to do it, and, IIRC, it actually took about seven months. And, of course, I later sold them all ... :)

8O

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:54 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:My first big eBay "coup" was to finally get my hands on all eight Dwarfstar games, unpunched. I gave myself a year to do it, and, IIRC, it actually took about seven months. And, of course, I later sold them all ... :)

The only ones I have seen in the last couple of months have been Barbarian Prince (dont have to look for that one anymore...thanks Jeff!  :D ) and Gamma Outpost (seems to always be incomplete).  I have a feeling that I will be looking for quite a while.  The one game that I want more than the others is Demonlord.  The box art is simply amazing!  Artwork has always played a big part in my decision to purchase something or not.  Probably why I dont own (or plan to own) any of the Group One Traveller adventures.  :P

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:08 am 

The tough one for me was GravArmor, especially in unpunched condition. I think it was the one game in the series that was actually played quite a bit, so the few copies that made their way to eBay were almost always punched.

Demonlord comes up every so often, BTW, so keep the faith. :) *cough*I'll be auctiong one soon-ish*cough

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:35 am 

Spending countless hours checking out www.boardgamegeek.com has also given me some ideas as to some other games I wouldnt mind acquiring such as Divine Right, Outreach, Stellar Conquest, Dune, John Carter Warlord of Mars, and Starship Troopers.  I also have an interest in the Dwarfstar line of games.  I rarely see any of them on Ebay though.

This is where the functionality of the item really has an effect on demand because there's typically no "playing copies". Try getting a game of advanced civ to play for less than $100!

In our group we do: Titan, AdvCiv, 1830, and Republic of Rome.

Most of the other titles look nice on a shelf, but aren't actually any good. AH had an amazing talent for making an easy game either way too long, or kill a good game with endless micromanagement.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:55 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:The tough one for me was GravArmor, especially in unpunched condition. I think it was the one game in the series that was actually played quite a bit, so the few copies that made their way to eBay were almost always punched.

Demonlord comes up every so often, BTW, so keep the faith. :) *cough*I'll be auctiong one soon-ish*cough

Speaking of GravArmor, I noticed this lot yesterday:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Has GravArmor and Outpost Gamma.  It also contains They've Invaded Pleasantville and Saga minigames, several SPI, Steve Jackson, and Task Force minigames as well.

I considered putting in a token bid but there are a lot of games there that I am really not interested in.  Not to mention that due to the size of the lot it will probably get out of my price range fairly quickly.  :(

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:51 pm 

HermitFromPluto wrote:Just curious, do many here complement their RPG collections with the old strategic bookshelf games from Avalon Hill and others?

I know I am a little late to this party but I like to collect the old AH games (Panzerblitz, Panzerleader, Titan, Starship Troopers, etc.) plus their other games like Twixt, Feudal, Acquire (but I think these were 3M games first).

Just my 2 Cents... :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:45 pm 

You might want to check eBay right now....there are EIGHT of them up for auction (Demonlord, Outpost Gamma, Star Smuggler, Goblin, Barbarian Prince, Grav Armor,Dragon Rage, and Star Viking)... 8O

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:41 am 

I am largely now a board game and wargame player - player more than collector. All subjects including but not limited to fantasy.

Things that I am looking for, in case anyone is passing and has a copy they would be willing to let go:

Raiders & Traders (Chaosium 1979 - map must be min VF)
http://69.13.44.3/game/1789

Going the other way I have copies of White Bear and Red Moon (Chaosium 1975 - original monocolour map version not Dragon Pass reprint) and Elric (AH 1981) I might be tempted to offload.

Cheers!
Nick

"Anyone who's against us we'll crush. In fact anyone who isn't for us we'll crush!" - attrib. Tex Colson (Nixon Campaign Aide)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:48 am 

Oh, and a boxed version of SPI's Gondor too if anyone is looking for that.

Cheers!
Nick

"Anyone who's against us we'll crush. In fact anyone who isn't for us we'll crush!" - attrib. Tex Colson (Nixon Campaign Aide)

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:25 pm 

I was considering bidding on this item, then the price went through the roof. It surprised me a little - $109 for Empires in Arms

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Next