D20 Collecting
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:37 pm 

Was there anything special about the World's Largest Dungeon (and WL City) relaease - i.e. limited quantities, at a con, anything like that?  Anyone know how many are out there?

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:45 pm 

I've never seen any sort of shortage on copies of Worlds's Largest Dungeon. It had to have been printed in good numbers.  The large initial price tag may have limited its sales.  

I still need a copy of World's Largest City....I mean...as much as I need any collectible.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:39 pm 

I'm guessing like most of the other bigger projects that 1000 were produced.

I guess it holds some records that make it collectible - at the time it was the biggest and most expensive RPG item (Wiki says it even made it into the Guinness book of world records).

WL City is still available from AEG:

http://store.alderac.com/worlds-largest ... -1246.html

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:48 am 

I am willing to pay in the $30 to $35 range for World's Largest City.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:18 am 

FormCritic wrote:I am willing to pay in the $30 to $35 range for World's Largest City.

You will probably have a long wait - good thing it doesn't sound this is a priority for you.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:32 am 

City doesn't seem to turn up a lot, Dungeon was first release and maybe more people interested in a Dungeon crawl rather than  City adventure.... I was after one myself and I think I gave in and bought it for $69.. which seems to be lowest price for a new one I could find.. either on ebay or Amazon same seller I think.. I see it listed on Amazon at the price now..

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:03 am 

Isn't city just a reprint of Dungeon with a different map? and thw word 'shop' put in instead of the word 'room'?
I made the mistake of buying the first stool, and I won't be buying the second.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:47 pm 

FormCritic wrote:I am willing to pay in the $30 to $35 range for World's Largest City.

Fortunately, earlier this year I able to find a place selling copies of the Worlds Largest City at about $32.  That was nice.

~Scathaigh~
~Lord Nobody~

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:43 pm 

And that place was..... :?:

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:40 pm 

FormCritic wrote:And that place was..... :?:

Amazon.com.

Sci-fi city or something.
He had some sale on.
$45 normally.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/shops/storefront/index.html?ie=UTF8&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&sellerID=A8OREOKNUUZH3[/url]

Oh, enjoy searching this storefront. :(
It is good to know what you are looking for.

~Scathaigh~
~Lord Nobody~

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:50 pm 

Icar wrote:Just enjoyed some ice cold Tartan Ale and read this thread from beginning to end. Thanks to Formcritic for his reviews and input on the d20 surge.

I agree the Gazetteer and New World Adventures by Doug Anderson are worth a spot on peoples collecting shelves.

I disagree that the quality of the production has anything to do with collectability. I own The Temple to Athena...nuff said.

I'm not sure whether or not d20 books will ever be as collectible as early D&D books. There were so many in such a short span of time. I can't see them gaining much more than 1/4 the cover price for a while yet.
I was playing D&D regularly during the d20 days and we only made room for White Wolf S&S and Necromancer games items. Other 3.0 d20 material like Atlas games, AEG, and Fast Forward didn't come my way until 3.0's time had passed. I saw books like the Slayers guides as money wasters.

Fun to buy dirt cheap but I suppose that's how the collecting bug works. Then you end up spending big money on the material you don't have yet.

as requested...the reprints are not of as high quality that the originals were (PODs vs high end printer. they are totally acceptable as play copies. They also will not include for now any of the K series or TLG released books (they will eventually), nor the JG books (don't think JG can reprint the Frazetta covers). They are not in box sets etc., and I tested a few--they are different in look and feel. Pretty nice copies, but easy to tell the difference.

If you want originals--I have backstock I wil sell at 50% of cover on most titles--obviously JG, Crystal Skull, Barakus, Larin Karr, RARE, RA3, TOA and Artifacts excluded. Crystal Skull will likely be very rare--the layout files were lost (corrupted) so no pdfs or reprints ever, and it was a small run. Take a look at my website and see the prices of stuff--I am happy to haggle on larger orders of Necro backstock as well.

Bill

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:51 pm 

I have one, but its a hunk of junk...truly garbage, even worse than the WLD. Don't really want to sell it though...its that OCD collector thing I have going.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:42 pm 

tsathogga wrote:I have one, but its a hunk of junk...truly garbage, even worse than the WLD. Don't really want to sell it though...its that OCD collector thing I have going.

You're in good company here, Bill.

You're not quite an insane collector yet:  You can't resist  gaming with your hardback copy of Swords and Wizardry!   :D

(Looking forward to playing my asthmatic fighter character again!)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:25 pm 

tsathogga wrote:Crystal Skull will likely be very rare--the layout files were lost (corrupted) so no pdfs or reprints ever, and it was a small run.

*d'oh!*  Now I must try to remember where I have seen that book in the past two years!   :x

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:35 pm 

tsathogga wrote:Crystal Skull will likely be very rare--the layout files were lost (corrupted) so no pdfs or reprints ever, and it was a small run.

I'm sensing all cheap copies of Crystal Skull will now be sold and their value just went up :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:54 am 

Wonder how long those copies on Amazon at $9.95 will last?
Guy has 5 of them, but the international shipping kills it for me.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:49 pm 

I think all five copies are already gone.   :D

There are still a couple copies of Tomb of Abysthor on Amazon for under $20, including one that is supposedly new.

That isn't a bad deal.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:37 pm 

Trying to ID a book from a vague description:

Generic city
Published ~10 years ago
Mostly or completely stat-free (would guess d20 for stats that are there, hence posting in this thread)
Perforated sheets in the back with NPCs/generic occupations

That ring a bell for anyone?

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

PreviousNext